Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That's lame though. Being forced to use headphones or turn the sound off? Sounds like something you'd get with a cheap, Chinese knock off tablet. Not the most expensive, top of the line tablet.

Let's face it, this vibration issue is simply terrible and a deal killer. LAME.

Deal killer is quite a strong phrase. I'll say it's very disappointing. Not a deal killer.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I tried out the Air 2's in an Apple store the other day. Wasn't as bad as i though although noticeable if i increased the volume past 40% but i felt i could live with it. I bought a 128Gb LTE version, put a case on it and hardly any vibration at all even at 80%

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I tried out the Air 2's in an Apple store the other day. Wasn't as bad as i though although noticeable if i increased the volume past 40% but i felt i could live with it. I bought a 128Gb LTE version, put a case on it and hardly any vibration at all even at 80%

Yea I find that very hard to believe. In had mine in a case and it did nothing to stop the screen vibrations.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Deal killer is quite a strong phrase. I'll say it's very disappointing. Not a deal killer.

It depends on the user and use cases. For me, typing while using the speakers for music is quite common so this issue would be a killer! For others, not so much. That's all.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I tried a movie out on my new Air 2 yesterday. The speakers seem to be quite loud for such a thin device! The back side definitely vibrates, but it doesn't bother me, maybe because I've been using video game controllers for years with rumble I'm kinda able to "tune it out". lol..
I didn't notice any vibrations when touching the screen, though.
I mostly use headphones with my iPad anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It depends on the user and use cases. For me, typing while using the speakers for music is quite common so this issue would be a killer! For others, not so much. That's all.

Well, the sound is so crappy from an iPad anyway - listening to music is a deal killer on any iPad! :D

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Is the vibration weird? Yes.
Should they try to fix it for the next model? Yes.
Is it a deal breaker or reason to not recommend an Air 2? Absolutely not.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Is the vibration weird? Yes.
Should they try to fix it for the next model? Yes.
Is it a deal breaker or reason to not recommend an Air 2? Absolutely not.

Maybe to you its not and that's fine. But for a lot of us it's a deal killer 100%. That's why we are waiting for the Air 3 or just staying with what we have. Anything that needs to be fixed should be considered a major enough issue to make recommendations a little iffy. I would NOT recommend an Air 2 to anyone that uses the speakers regularly while surfing, typing, or working. Even heavy gamers need to be warned.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Maybe to you its not and that's fine. But for a lot of us it's a deal killer 100%. That's why we are waiting for the Air 3 or just staying with what we have. Anything that needs to be fixed should be considered a major enough issue to make recommendations a little iffy. I would NOT recommend an Air 2 to anyone that uses the speakers regularly while surfing, typing, or working. Even heavy gamers need to be warned.

I'm a heavy iPad gamer and user in general. It not a deal breaker for me since I'm enjoying the many other updated features. You going to complain for the next year? Quit telling people it's not worth buying. This is the first iPad of many that will be capable of much more once Apple opens up the software. It's as powerful as a two year old MacBook air.

dkl

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012

Unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be something to fix, and I'm willing to bet that's the case for the Air 3 / iPad Pro.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Only question: Why?

He probably means that nothing is perfect. When a product moves from design to the final stages of manufacturing, it undergoes a series of iterations and compromises to meet target price points, etc. Some of these "compromise" are anticipated, some are not.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm a heavy iPad gamer and user in general. It not a deal breaker for me since I'm enjoying the many other updated features. You going to complain for the next year? Quit telling people it's not worth buying. This is the first iPad of many that will be capable of much more once Apple opens up the software. It's as powerful as a two year old MacBook air.

What do you care who gets told what? It doesn't affect you at all. Glad you're happy. I'm going to complain exactly one year and one extra day after that, BTW.

It's as powerful as the NASA main computers but that hardly matters when nothing exists to take advantage of it anyways. Tits on a bull.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
What do you care who gets told what? It doesn't affect you at all. Glad you're happy. I'm going to complain exactly one year and one extra day after that, BTW.

It's as powerful as the NASA main computers but that hardly matters when nothing exists to take advantage of it anyways. Tits on a bull.

Nothing takes advantage of it?

1. Able to keep 5-10 safari tabs open without reloads
2. Intense 3D games (MC5, Infinity Blade 3,Vain Glory etc) Silky smooth
3. Editing and processing photos/effects with virtually zero wait time

And thats just the processor. Not to mention having much less glare on the screen, touch ID, better camera, thinner, lighter.

Sure time and updates will further take more advantage.....but I forgot the speakers hurt your delicate hands.

To conclude, I care about letting people know that what you are trying to steer people away from what otherwise is a great device because an "issue" that only some people are annoyed with (most of which are still keeping their Air2).

I deal in facts while you and some others here are dealing with some emotional vendetta....or really sensitive delicate hands.....or whatever. You don't like it? Fine. But telling people its a deal breaker and not to buy it is garbage, plain and simple.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Getting the Air 2 for $399, I returned the 32gb Air I purchased for $379.

The difference between the two are advantages regardless of the vibration.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
The vibration is something one can't get used to but only tolerate it. My fingers tips get numb and tingle after long use with sound on. I thought I would just deal with it but it's not looking that way. There is a reason why they use anti vibration on chainsaws!

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
The vibration on my iPad Air 2 would give a woodpecker a headache, so I returned it!

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Got my Air 2 I ordered online from Best Buy today. I decided to test this out using iTunes Radio.

With the volume at 1 bar, vibrations can be easily felt through the Apple smart case and the screen, but it's not terrible. At half volume it becomes really annoying when typing. At full volume it feels exactly the same as if I put my hand on the subwoofer of my stereo system. I can even feel it through gloves. I fear watching this video might cause it to explode. http://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk

I haven't decided if it's bad enough to return, since I came from an iPad 2 and the Air 2 completely blows that away, but it's definitely pretty bad when vibrations can be felt at even the lowest volume through a case.

Fortunately I don't really listen to music on it. I watch the occasional video and play some games on it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I have noticed the vibrations on my iPad Air 2 although not while typing and playing music. It's only on the alumium (I'm using a Smart Cover) towards the bottom. I have only noticed it when playing at half volume or above really. I would rather have the vibrations and very loud and clear audio then no vibrations and very quiet audio.

I got my Air 2 about a week before Black Friday BTW. I'm gonna compare it to my other Air 2 coming tomorrow (I'm returning this one I'm typing on because I got the 128GB from Best Buy's Black Friday sale for the same price) and see if there is any difference.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I've actually found that the Air 2 appears to have a subwoofer as nonsensical as that is. I can actually feel the air being pushed out of the speakers with bass.

Here's a simple way to demonstrate the problem:

1. Download this tone generator app. https://appsto.re/us/9mvpB.i
2. Run it and set the tone anywhere between about 100 and 300 Hz.
3. Feel the buzz. At 100 Hz, the sound is barely audible, but you can sure feel it.

Anything over 400 to 500 Hz doesn't cause vibrations at all, even at max volume.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've actually found that the Air 2 appears to have a subwoofer as nonsensical as that is. I can actually feel the air being pushed out of the speakers with bass.

Here's a simple way to demonstrate the problem:

1. Download this tone generator app. https://appsto.re/us/9mvpB.i
2. Run it and set the tone anywhere between about 100 and 300 Hz.
3. Feel the buzz. At 100 Hz, the sound is barely audible, but you can sure feel it.

Anything over 400 to 500 Hz doesn't cause vibrations at all, even at max volume.

The air 2 IS the subwoofer. I think it's genius. It also doubles as a rumble controller when playing games. I love it :D

I think Apple really did something exceptional here. Does anyone really think for a second that this wasn't by design? :rolleyes:

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
The air 2 IS the subwoofer. I think it's genius. It also doubles as a rumble controller when playing games. I love it :D

I think Apple really did something exceptional here. Does anyone really think for a second that this wasn't by design? :rolleyes:

If it is by design then apple should at least give people an option to switch it off. I quite like it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.