Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blurryvision

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020

inbloomgc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
California
i bought a Ztopcase for 23 bucks last week and was worried about that. But it fit like a glove and works great wirh the new pencil and it stores nicely and it has a nice screen protector that does not detract from the screen quality and works with the pencil 2. the pencil actually slides nicely against it. Not bad for 23 bucks. I put the description from amazon.

ZtotopCase for New iPad 10.9 Inch 2020/ iPad Air 4th Generation Case, Built-in Screen Protector, Dual Layer Shockproof Full Protective Cover with Pencil Holder Support iPad Pencil Charging -Black

Question: does the iPad auto wake/sleep when you open and close the cover?

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Reactions: innovationwho

Ad94

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
That doesn’t look normal. What is going on here? I’m sorry to hear that even your replacement is experiencing issues :(

For a little more context, I’m showing a plain black photo and with iPad brightness at its highest to show the bleed-through the best I can. Also, it’s reassuring to know that I’m not alone in thinking this isn’t right..

That is in fact an awful screen that should have never made it onto the assembly line. Definitely exchange that.

I agree! I have another appointment set up tomorrow morning for a second exchange and this time I’ll unbox it at the store, just in case. I’m nervous because it's difficult to see the light bleed the brighter the room is so hopefully the replacement will be in “perfect” condition or reveals a problem that can be seen immediately. Fingers crossed for the former ?

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Exchanged the first Air 4 I got yesterday at my local Apple Store today because it had either a dying pixel or dust under the screen. I opened the replacement when I got home and this one seems to have some light bleed? This isn’t normal, right?

View attachment 973681 View attachment 973680 View attachment 973682 View attachment 973683

jikes I have a Green one waiting at home and the possibility to pick up blue order tomorrow. I actually didn’t even want to open the green one until I decided which color to keep but now I am thinking about opening it just to make sure I got a good screen before I reject the blue one and end up with a bad screen on the green one

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Have you ordered from retailers that would allow you to open both and still return one? If so then it might be better to open both to make a decision on the colour, as photos can only tell you so much. Unless a carrier store (if you’re not near an Apple Store) has them on display.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I went by Best Buy and played with an Air 4 in Sky Blue. I was more impressed than I expected. It looks exactly like the pro minus the camera bumps. The biggest difference I could tell were the speakers. Speakers are just way better in the Pro. But it wasn't terrible on the Air 4. I'm still unsure which to get lol. On one hand the air 4 does pretty much everything I would need....but on the other hand, I have crappy hearing and the speakers on the Pro just blow away the Air 4.

I have an Air 4 coming on Wednesday. I'll play with it and see if the speakers sound good to me in my home without all the background noise from BestBuy. If it sounds good enough I'll keep it. If not, I may get the Pro 11

blurryvision

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
Is this an acceptable amount of backlight leak?

Attachments

• 68C06EE7-40C9-444B-A18E-0B2C593093BA.jpeg
    68C06EE7-40C9-444B-A18E-0B2C593093BA.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 286

Wonderful-Regular

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Is anyone else using a third party case for their Air 2020 having issues with the auto sleep/wake function?

A case that I previously used with a Pro 2020 fits my Air perfectly (Pipetto Origami Folio 5-in-1). However, it doesn't trigger the sleep/wake function when opening or closing the lid.

Could it be that the magnets triggering the sleep/wake sensor are located differently?

Otherwise my unit probably has a defective sensor. I've ordered the Apple Folio to test this.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Is anyone else using a third party case for their Air 2020 having issues with the auto sleep/wake function?

A case that I previously used with a Pro 2020 fits my Air perfectly (Pipetto Origami Folio 5-in-1). However, it doesn't trigger the sleep/wake function when opening or closing the lid.

Could it be that the magnets triggering the sleep/wake sensor are located differently?

Otherwise my unit probably has a defective sensor. I've ordered the Apple Folio to test this.
Wake works fine here with this one:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
My biggest quibble with the Air 4 that I knew about:

Pencil lag and latency. < It is a lot, but I can deal with that. I’m used to it with the base iPads.

Love Touch ID, the better speakers and the display. Scribble is fun too. Terrific watching movies etc.

So I enjoy the Air for everything but the drawing experience. I’ll hang onto it, though I will probably trade it in toward a 2021 iPP, if I feel I need to and the specs & price.

Reactions: snipr125

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
My biggest quibble with the Air 4 that I knew about:

Pencil lag and latency. < It is a lot, but I can deal with that. I’m used to it with the base iPads.

Love Touch ID, the better speakers and the display. Scribble is fun too. Terrific watching movies etc.

So I enjoy the Air for everything but the drawing experience. I’ll hang onto it, though I will probably trade it in toward a 2021 iPP, if I feel I need to and the specs & price.

How are the speakers? That’s my only concern because I know my hearing sucks lol

I have an Air coming tomorrow. I’ll test it out. If I can hear ok I’ll keep it. If not I may have to upgrade to the Pro just for the Quad speakers.

vintimus

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Much better for my everyday use, a step up definitely.

Feels objectively nicer in the hand without a case, the weight distribution/centre of gravity seems better - even though they’re the same weight. It’s the square edges I think, grippier. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and i notice a difference that others might not.

As already said I don’t miss the 120mhz ProMotion at all, but again may be different for people who use their iPads differently from me.

The Pro had 4 speakers, the Air 4 has 2 - but I normally AirPlay to TV, or connect to Bluetooth speakers, or use PowerBeats Pro, so reduction in speaker quality (if there is one) makes no difference to me.

On paper the camera spec isn’t as good - but I’ve never used the camera much on an iPad cos I’ve an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

May be different for others in diffferent circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Big help for me. Making the same upgrade, from the 10.5 pro. I'm not an artist so I don't use the pencil, and I'm not a big gamer on the iPad. Thank you for adding your experience!

Reactions: SUGAR RAY WONKA

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
How are the speakers? That’s my only concern because I know my hearing sucks lol

I have an Air coming tomorrow. I’ll test it out. If I can hear ok I’ll keep it. If not I may have to upgrade to the Pro just for the Quad speakers.
As others have said, the speakers are really good. I have the $329 iPad here so the speakers are a big step up from that.

Reactions: JagRunner

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Some have wondered about battery life here’s what the last 24 hours have looked like for me: battery at 60%. Over 5 hours screen on.

Attachments

• CAE4B307-6448-453F-A0AE-9D894B43B3EF.jpeg
    CAE4B307-6448-453F-A0AE-9D894B43B3EF.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 150

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I am finding the Ipad Air a joy to use and is as fast as my IPP 12.9 (2018). A great device for the price. I love the portability and the speakers are much better than I expected. Scribble works fantastic and is what I am using to write this post. Performance is first class. Touch ID is nice but not as convenient as face ID especially if going to use an external monitor.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I noticed quite lag when playing PUBG mobile.
Do you have a Pro to compare it to? I’d be very curious about how it performs with games like PUBG Mobile. My Mini 5 handles it pretty well, but the menu system has gotten kind of laggy since some of the recent updates. It could be the game, and not necessarily the Air.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I am finding the Ipad Air a joy to use and is as fast as my IPP 12.9 (2018). A great device for the price. I love the portability and the speakers are much better than I expected. Scribble works fantastic and is what I am using to write this post. Performance is first class. Touch ID is nice but not as convenient as face ID especially if going to use an external monitor.
Yep, 100% all of that.

I’m a definite FaceID rather than TouchID fan but even I am finding the Air 4’s TouchID very fast and convenient. It’s better than it was on IPP 10.5.

So much so it’d have been great to be getting it on the new iPhones via the power button as well, especially for dealing with COVID face coverings at the moment. I’m a key worker, WFH four days a week but still have to commute once a week - and it’s highly annoying having to type a password when on a train through steamed up glasses cos FaceID doesn’t work with a face covering.

first world problems, I know....

Reactions: Commandante

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Got the Air 4 on Sunday and returning it. Went back to using my Air 2 which is much slower but will do. I find the bazel too small on the Air 4 which leads to my palms touching side of the screen when typing and causing random error like accidentally hitting caps, return, tab or some other area of the page. I know I’m probably “holding it wrong”, but it makes typing a pain. Sad I was looking forward to upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.