Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Got the Air 4 on Sunday and returning it. Went back to using my Air 2 which is much slower but will do. I find the bazel too small on the Air 4 which leads to my palms touching side of the screen when typing and causing random error like accidentally hitting caps, return, tab or some other area of the page. I know I’m probably “holding it wrong”, but it makes typing a pain. Sad I was looking forward to upgrading.

It's been 2 days. Have you considered that you'll probably get used to it?

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Samesies. Been an Apple user for some time but this iPad air 4 is my first iPad. Why did I wait so long to get one?!?!
Better late than never!

TBH I thought iPads were pointless when they first came out. Just thought they were like having a giant phone. Four years later, I was won over and wouldn’t dream of not having one.

My case for the Air is supposed to arrive today, but I probably won’t have the iPad itself until next week. Really anxious.

Reactions: ireadblitz

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Really enjoying my new Air 4 - a huge upgrade from my old 1st gen Air :)
Screen looks great, speakers sound good (2 is enough), TouchID works really well, fast, and is conveniently placed for left index finger when in landscape orientation. Though I still do catch myself trying to press a non-existant home button with my right thumb... Still getting used to iPad OS 14 and multitasking features my old Air didn't support. Pencil works well - yes there's some tiny lag (surely better with iPad Pro at 120Hz), but seems perfectly fine for my use. I like how tapping on the lock screen with the pencil immediately puts you into the Notes app.

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany

Attachments

• BD7EB602-02B2-4441-9F07-E096CBA80533.jpeg
    BD7EB602-02B2-4441-9F07-E096CBA80533.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: kazmac

webicino

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Do you have a Pro to compare it to? I’d be very curious about how it performs with games like PUBG Mobile. My Mini 5 handles it pretty well, but the menu system has gotten kind of laggy since some of the recent updates. It could be the game, and not necessarily the Air.
I was playing Pubg Mobile on my iPad Air 3 without any lag. Yesterday I bought the new iPad Air 4 and was expecting a much better performance but somehow even on lower graphic settings than on my iPad Air 3 there was a lag during the gameplay. At first I thought there is something wrong with my iPad and tried the game on my friends iPad Air 4 but the experience was the same. I really don't understand how this game is so bad on a new device with much better hardware.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I was playing Pubg Mobile on my iPad Air 3 without any lag. Yesterday I bought the new iPad Air 4 and was expecting a much better performance but somehow even on lower graphic settings than on my iPad Air 3 there was a lag during the gameplay. At first I thought there is something wrong with my iPad and tried the game on my friends iPad Air 4 but the experience was the same. I really don't understand how this game is so bad on a new device with much better hardware.

Maybe the app needs to be optimized for the new device.

VPRunner

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2019
Ordered my Air today and using the apple trade in for my regular iPad Gen 5. Can't wait to get it but it is not expected to arrive until the week of Thanksgiving!

innovationwho

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2020
Okay, so I finally received mine today. After two full weeks and preordered it on the 15th. The people that are saying they are taking their new Airs back or returning them. I think you are all ridiculous and you’re giving up a perfect device. To the people that had issues straight out of the box, I’m sorry and I wish you could experience this tablet already. The speakers don’t sound amazing but they are definitely better than they used to be. Touch ID works flawlessly. The display is the best LCD I’ve ever seen in my life, and the bezels aren’t that much larger. The people complaining about the bezels being too large must have insanely small hands. If anyone has any questions about it and are still waiting. I’ll be happy to reply.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Okay, so I finally received mine today. After two full weeks and preordered it on the 15th. The people that are saying they are taking their new Airs back or returning them. I think you are all ridiculous and you’re giving up a perfect device. To the people that had issues straight out of the box, I’m sorry and I wish you could experience this tablet already. The speakers don’t sound amazing but they are definitely better than they used to be. Touch ID works flawlessly. The display is the best LCD I’ve ever seen in my life, and the bezels aren’t that much larger. The people complaining about the bezels being too large must have insanely small hands. If anyone has any questions about it and are still waiting. I’ll be happy to reply.

It’s like that with every product release. I’m all for returning a device if you’re not happy with it, but some people seem intent on finding reasons not to be happy. Even coming from an Air 3, the Air 4 is amazing, if you ask me.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
It’s like that with every product release. I’m all for returning a device if you’re not happy with it, but some people seem intent on finding reasons not to be happy. Even coming from an Air 3, the Air 4 is amazing, if you ask me.
Yeah, and I’ve come from an iPad Pro 10.5 with supposedly better display, more speakers and better camera, none of which I made much use of or have missed whatsoever since I got my Air 4 last week.

I’m absolutely delighted with it, it’s so much nicer to use.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Is there a way to tell by the model number what color the iPad is I ordered sky blue and I am almost certain they sent me silver

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Wow
Reactions: philrock

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
The light blue looks silver in certain lighting....but you can still tell it has a hint of blue. I don't see a hint of blue at all in your pic.
When I went to Best Buy and Costco it was very evident their model was blue. This has no blue in it at all. I started a return so I’m sure I won’t see the correct iPad for four weeks or longer now

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Is there a way to tell by the model number what color the iPad is I ordered sky blue and I am almost certain they sent me silver

Sky Blue model numbers for the non-LTE models are MYFQ2LL/A (64GB) and MYFY2LL/A (256GB).

They should appear in the Settings/About, and on the box.

If those things are as expected, but still don't jibe with what you have, it could either be a production error, or gross inconsistency in the anodizing process. I would not be shocked by either, given the current strains on Apple's production.

Colors can vary from batch to batch, but should not by that much.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Sky Blue model numbers for the non-LTE models are MYFQ2LL/A (64GB) and MYFY2LL/A (256GB).

They should appear in the Settings/About, and on the box.

If those things are as expected, but still don't jibe with what you have, it could either be a production error, or gross inconsistency in the anodizing process. I would not be shocked by either, given the current strains on Apple's production.

Colors can vary from batch to batch, but should not by that much.

Model number is what you say buts it’s def silver. There’s no blue here at all. I know it subtle but I can see it when I look at it at the store and it’s evident it’s blue there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.