Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurendougan29_

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
edit: in fact I do see the pink tinge its only slight! As you say, depends which way you look

Last edited:

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
im returning mine due to the wrong one being sent. If the one they gave me is actually blue then the color is pretty underwhelming, will go for a black one I guess.

onfire23

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I am finding this iPad Air to be “cool, it’s a fun little device”
out of
1-10
1 being: “it’s there I guess”
&
10 being “Most amazing device that gets the job done and then some.”

But really I wish this had Face ID, ProMotion, quad speakers... and an A12X processor instead of the A14. I want that extra oomph, the cores, and beefier GPU.
It’s nice though as it’s a good sneak peak into how fast the A14 in the iPhone 12 Pro will be.
I dunno maybe I was hoping the iPad would be a tad more. I am pretty sure I’m going to keep it but I am bugged because it has a little light bleed (odd because I’ve not seen light bleed since before Liquid Retina. I will contact Apple about maybe doing a swap, but... I hate that lottery game too and who knows, 2020’s been the bad QC year so I’ll just end up with something worse.
anyone else’s iPad Pro or air 4 or Xr and 11 have light bleed???

*****Is anyone else having the same issue or are experiencing light bleed? Is it normal even with Liquid Retina to have light bleed?
THEN I might just keep this guy instead of swapping it.
OCD is annoying!!!
Why don't you run GB5. The air does have extra oomph in GB5 metal compute GPU.
The Air's A14 GPU scores 9% higher than A12z GPU and 18% faster than the A12x GPU. The single core as we already know is 42% higher than A12z while the multicore is 9% slower. The Air tops single core and metal iOS leadberboards in Geekbench website, and the pro tops multicore. The air also has > 2× TOPS in the NPU.

Reactions: snipr125

onfire23

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
I am finding this iPad Air to be “cool, it’s a fun little device”
out of
1-10
1 being: “it’s there I guess”
&
10 being “Most amazing device that gets the job done and then some.”

But really I wish this had Face ID, ProMotion, quad speakers... and an A12X processor instead of the A14. I want that extra oomph, the cores, and beefier GPU.
It’s nice though as it’s a good sneak peak into how fast the A14 in the iPhone 12 Pro will be.
I dunno maybe I was hoping the iPad would be a tad more. I am pretty sure I’m going to keep it but I am bugged because it has a little light bleed (odd because I’ve not seen light bleed since before Liquid Retina. I will contact Apple about maybe doing a swap, but... I hate that lottery game too and who knows, 2020’s been the bad QC year so I’ll just end up with something worse.
anyone else’s iPad Pro or air 4 or Xr and 11 have light bleed???

*****Is anyone else having the same issue or are experiencing light bleed? Is it normal even with Liquid Retina to have light bleed?
THEN I might just keep this guy instead of swapping it.
OCD is annoying!!!
The Air GPU scores 9% higher than A12z GPU and 18% higher than A12x GPU. The single core as we already know is 42% higher than A12z while the multicore is 9% slower. The Air tops single core and metal iOS leadberboards in Geekbench website, and the pro tops multicore. The air also has > 2× TOPS in the NPU. The A14 also packs 11.8 billion transistors to 10 billion transistors of A12z. It is also more energy efficient due to the 5nm process.

Reactions: snipr125

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Just one point of clarification: I'm pretty sure this speed comparison is between the prior gen Air and the new one, meaning the new chip is 40% faster than the A12, not 40% faster than the A13.
I don’t know, just like the A8X and A10X made people take iPad a bit more serious... but when the A12X came out it was an absolute beast if a computer.
So yeah, Apple’s A14 is a bigger beast than the A12 a bit. That’s even WITHOUT the X in the name, so just how powerful will the A14X/Z?
The Air's A14 GPU scores 9% higher than A12z GPU and 18% faster than the A12x GPU. The single core as we already know is 42% higher than A12z while the multicore is 9% slower. The Air tops single core and metal iOS leadberboards in Geekbench website, and the pro tops multicore. The air also has > 2× TOPS in the NPU.
I paid for GB4. ?? But also the multi-core is still better with the A12X, but I agree the A14 is ridiculously fast and powerful. The one negative is apples iPhone A-chips do get warmer due to such smaller enclosures. My iPP runs cool for a long time. But to be 100% honest, I didn’t notice any performance improvements cause the iPad Pros 1-4 are still extremely powerful and zippy too.

*It’s insane, as the A10X already put the iPad into MacBook Pro territory with on-par power and usability. Then the A12X comes out and the iPads then blow the MBPs out of the water and outshine most other computers.
I’ve been using my iPad as my main driver since Air 2.
So seeing that the A14 is itself already a bit more powerful in some areas over A12X. It is hard to imagine how powerful and insanely fast the A14X/Z will be.
I’m pumped. ?✌️? :)
and unfortunately the light bleed, (from all the reports) *appears to be affecting everyone who owns the Air 4.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Anyone else found the viewing angles on their Air a bit narrow? On a white background like a web page, as soon as you look at it from any angle bar straight on there’s a pinky tinge to the screen. Mainly visible when the iPad is in landscape and you tilt up or down. Moving it left or right it doesn’t seem to exhibit this.

This forum is just great for noticing things you didn’t (need to) notice before ?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Ran into my first glitch with the iPad Air 4 last night. For some reason, I couldn't play a simple YouTube video properly. It would stutter and fast forward and then abruptly end. Quitting Safari and all apps didn't help.

Only by rebooting the iPad completely fixed the problem.
Probably not hardware related but rather an iPadOS software issue.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
i also had the iPad Pro 10.5 before and to be honest I don’t notice much of a size difference when it comes to the screen but I appreciate getting rid of the huge bezel. My favorite iPad to date.

i went iPad 2 > iPad 3 (worst iPad ever) > iPad Air 2 > iPad Pro 10.5 > iPad Air 4.

Regarding the colors. This is my GREEN iPad Air:

lol no. Worst iPad ever was 5th gen iPad. Nothing extraordinary over Air 2 and felt cheap compared to Air 2

although I do think iPad 3 is in the top 5 though. And compared to 5th gen iPad the 3rd gen iPad was released as a premium iPad with many new things at the time (like Retina Display) whereas when 5th gen iPad came out we already have the Pros which felt premium and that iPad was a budget iPad with worse multi clock scores, **** quality display and was thicker than the Air 2

yes iPad 3 performed worse than 5th generation in its lifetime but it had new features which moved the iPad line forward unlike that iPad (and to a large extent the Mini 3)

EDIT: and Apple saying that it’s the successor of the 4th gen iPad ( if you count the number) an iPad released over 4 years before 5th gen one) looks stupid when we have the Air line which are the true successors.

Last edited:

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I ordered a pro and an air at the same time. Returning the air. It’s a great device but the quad speakers and the brighter screen were just 2 things that won me over. Plus I was really disappointed with the Sky Blue looking like silver. The space gray of the Pro looks good. Once you go quad speakers you can’t go back. I plan to keep this 4-5 years or until it dies lol

Reactions: philrock

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As is often the case after a new device has a week or so to settle in, so to speak, I think my battery life has gotten even better! Went the entire weekend, from Friday night to now Monday late morning and I'm at still at 44%. Web surfing, social media, email, YouTube, and some light productivity tasks, all weekend and it's definitely exceeding 10 hours on this single charge.

Reactions: blurryvision

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Do you have a Pro to compare it to? I’d be very curious about how it performs with games like PUBG Mobile. My Mini 5 handles it pretty well, but the menu system has gotten kind of laggy since some of the recent updates. It could be the game, and not necessarily the Air.
I have compared it to my old 10.5 pro. On 10.5 is lot better. I have read it is because it’s not yet optimized. If you’re a hardcore pubg player I suggest to wait.

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Do you have a Pro to compare it to? I’d be very curious about how it performs with games like PUBG Mobile. My Mini 5 handles it pretty well, but the menu system has gotten kind of laggy since some of the recent updates. It could be the game, and not necessarily the Air.
Although it handles other games pretty well like Call of duty mobile which is extensive graphic s.

innovationwho

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2020
Well, compared to the IPP 11” 2020, the bezels are wider.
Obviously But the difference isn’t worth spending more money. if I hold the Air in portrait mode, my thumb covers some of the screen. The tiny bit more of bezel it has is a better thing in my opinion. All I was saying is that too many people were complaining when it’s not noticeable when using the air and you have PLENTY of screen real estate.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Obviously But the difference isn’t worth spending more money. if I hold the Air in portrait mode, my thumb covers some of the screen. The tiny bit more of bezel it has is a better thing in my opinion. All I was saying is that too many people were complaining when it’s not noticeable when using the air and you have PLENTY of screen real estate.
Agreed. While I can’t speak for anyone else, my purchasing decision (for the 11”IPP) was based on a combination of factors with the bezel size NOT being one of them.

Reactions: bluespark

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Agreed. While I can’t speak for anyone else, my purchasing decision (for the 11”IPP) was based on a combination of factors with the bezel size NOT being one of them.

Ditto when going from iPad Pro 10.5 to Air 4, bezel size wasn’t a consideration at all.

That said, after using the Air 4 for a couple weeks now I am glad to be rid of the forehead and chin tho, that def gives the impression of it being all screen, even if it doesn’t go right to the edges. Clever design, much nicer to use.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Ditto when going from iPad Pro 10.5 to Air 4, bezel size wasn’t a consideration at all.

That said, after using the Air 4 for a couple weeks now I am glad to be rid of the forehead and chin tho, that def gives the impression of it being all screen, even if it doesn’t go right to the edges. Clever design, much nicer to use.
I have to accept though, aesthetics did play a role in my purchasing decipher. I moved from the 10.5 IPP to the 11” 2020 IPP.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I have to accept though, aesthetics did play a role in my purchasing decipher. I moved from the 10.5 IPP to the 11” 2020 IPP.

Yeah but by any description what you did is an upgrade.

My change was from an IPad Pro 10.5 to an iPad Air 4, which is arguably a downgrade. Although that is definitely NOT how I see it (which is the point I’ve been making in this thread).

(As an aside I sent off my iPad Pro 10.5 for a trade-in last week after accepting the offer of £180. Got told after they inspected it they revised the “offer” down to £0.00, due to “dead pixels and light bleed” on screen. I obviously rejected this and they are sending it back to me. It looked perfectly fine to me when I sent if off and I’ll work out what to do with it when I see it’s condition on return. Might just give it to my mum and sell her iPad mini 4 instead).

I see talk of Mini-LED iPad Pros next year. Now I’d consider *that* as potentially an upgrade to the Air 4, depending on what else it has to offer.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah but by any description what you did is an upgrade.

My change was from an IPad Pro 10.5 to an iPad Air 4, which is arguably a downgrade. Although that is definitely NOT how I see it (which is the point I’ve been making in this thread).

(As an aside I sent off my iPad Pro 10.5 for a trade-in last week after accepting the offer of £180. Got told after they inspected it they revised the “offer” down to £0.00, due to “dead pixels and light bleed” on screen. I obviously rejected this and they are sending it back to me. It looked perfectly fine to me when I sent if off and I’ll work out what to do with it when I see it’s condition on return. Might just give it to my mum and sell her iPad mini 4 instead).

I see talk of Mini-LED iPad Pros next year. Now I’d consider *that* as potentially an upgrade to the Air 4, depending on what else it has to offer.
Yes, it was an upgrade for me...no doubt about that. Double the storage + 2GB RAM + different (to my eyes better) hardware profile + new battery + 1 year warranty...yes, I would say it was an upgrade.

I too traded in my 10.5” IPP (3 years old as I bought it within a week of release) for which I received US$236 (£182) at the Apple Store in person.

SUGAR RAY WONKA

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Yes, it was an upgrade for me...no doubt about that. Double the storage + 2GB RAM + different (to my eyes better) hardware profile + new battery + 1 year warranty...yes, I would say it was an upgrade.

I too traded in my 10.5” IPP (3 years old as I bought it within a week of release) for which I received US$236 (£182) at the Apple Store in person.

A good result! Glad it worked out well. ?

Reactions: kristalsoldier

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
mine might have shipped but of course I don't know because they nuked the store for some phone ordering shenanigans....

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Is anyone running DreamLab (app to find a cure for cancer and COVID-19) on the new iPad Air? If so, how many calculations are you getting per hour for the COVID-19 research?

Thanks!

appleman3000

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2019
Somehow I already have small scratches on my screen. Anyone else with a smart folio keyboard have this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.