Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 10.16.36 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 10.16.36 AM.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 218

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
WestJet introduces child-free cabins and Kargo Kids service

WestJet April Fool Page

Not to be outdone, Sir Richard Branson introduces Virgin Volcanic:
Using patented carbon-carbon materials pioneered for deep space exploration, Virgin is proud to announce a revolutionary new vehicle, VVS1, which will be capable of plunging three people into the molten lava core of an active volcano.

virgin-volcanic.jpg

Last edited:

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

It's April 1st again -- also known as April Fools' Day. Today also represents Apple's 36th anniversary, having been founded on this day in 1976 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Here are a couple of the more ambitious pranks floating around the internet today:

Hungry Hungry Hippos for iPad

ThinkGeek has introduced a modernized version of the classic Hungry Hungry Hippos game for the iPad, but now with "capacitive-padded heads."

YouTube: video
Readers will remember that ThinkGeek first introduced the iCade as an April Fools prank that later became a shipping product.

Google Maps for NES

Google has created an 8-bit version of Google Maps for the NES platform - a cartridge based game console from the 1980s.

YouTube: video
You can explore it yourself on Google's maps site.

Article Link: iPad Hungry Hungry Hippos and Other April Fools for 2012

I know NES, NES was a friend of mine and you sir are no NES. I remember the NES being front loading:

800px-NES-Console-Set.png

yet they showed top loading, maybe the meant SNES:

SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.png

Last edited by a moderator:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
The YouTube one is pretty great. A few years ago for April 1 every featured video looked normal but you'd get redirected to Rick Astley

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Some good pranks this year. Almost makes me think that Google has a dedicated April Fools division.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Did not know that, thanks!

Fun facts: Nintendo of America completely redesigned the system to resemble a VCR because they figured that this would appeal more to the NA audience. An initial, black design that had a keyboard as an accessory looked even more like a VCR than the final design but it was disliked by the focus groups.
The NES left out some features from the Famicom such as a built in microphone on the second controller (the Famicom came with two hard-wired controllers) and two connectors that allowed a cartridge to have its own sound chip expansion.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hey if they can have Simon for iPad, why not Hungry Hungry Hippos? I want it!

yeah. it actually looks cool. Unlike those games were the iPad was just the spin wheel and you had a regular board and pieces.

I still want Nintendo to release the original Super Mario trilogy for iOS (and sure they could do Android as well). I think they would be a huge hit both sales and PR wise. Personally I'd be willing to as high as $9.99 a game on them.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
The Google Maps for NES spoof has pretty high production values. I wonder what it cost Google.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thinkgeek

i just went to the page to see what else they did and I have to say that I'm shocked that no one has actually done the Angry Birds Pork Rinds. I mean they have shirts and plashes, why not food.

Oh and that tattoo thing could probably happen one day. Which is creepier than the Barbie face

Last edited:

Dinø

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Seems like I remember a previous copyright holder for maps and quests...

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
:D Good stuff.

If we only had a magic flute for transportation (or should I say teleportation).

Renzatic

Suspended
If we only had a magic flute for transportation (or should I say teleportation).

No. Transportation. Everyone knows you use a magic flute to call a whirlwind and/or giant bird to physically come pick you up.

Teleportation would be your bog standard magic whisking pads and other miscellaneous forms of metaphysical transversal, wherein you're basically using Geomathromancer magics to bend two points along a 4 dimensional plane to inhabit the same space at once. Magic flutes are rarely, if ever, used for such an endeavor.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
One of my friends sent ThinkGeek a message telling them to put on the Konami code on their site: give it a try (Up up down down left right left right B A Enter)! (It has to do with their hungry-hungry hippos game, but I'll let you see for yourself ;))

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Some of these are very clever, but a lot of the news sites/apps have articles that are not funny at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.