Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
Well the forum wouldn't let me post this without typing something outside of quotes so how about I just say "Quit this Apple-is-conspiring-against-us crap. While you're at it, try actually researching before shooting your mouth off."

:D ok, then i don't understand why is that dock selling point!
let's hope those keyboards drivers make their way to iphone too.

RQPS

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Maybe it wont be blank when it ships.... I hope you're right! But would a dashboard really solve multitasking? I mean it would be a cool feature but still couldn't run IM and internet at the same time.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Since it's next to the volume keys I'd guess it might be the iPod/iTunes key.

On the iPhone you can tap the home button twice for the iPod. I don't think you can simply tap the home key twice in a row for the iPod on that keyboard.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
:D ok, then i don't understand why is that dock selling point!
let's hope those keyboards drivers make their way to iphone too.

I guess it's aimed at those who don't already have an Apple Wireless Keyboard. Some people may want one neat little package that is dock and keyboard as one to sit on their desk.

As for the iPhone bit...no idea so can't comment :)

Saskamac

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
That button boots the Ipad into OSX and opens a dvd slot, but only when Chuck Norris presses it.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If it really was a secret then it should have been harder to spot it. :cool:

If I was going to put a secret button on a keyboard, I'd make it a self destruct. You would have to tap it three times within 5 seconds to initate the melting, as any curious thief is likely to do when it does nothing the first two times. I would also make it stand out in plain site and paint it red. Maybe a little taller than the surrounding keys. Have it blink randomly to tease. Then I'd give it a better use if you tap it a fourth time within that five seconds from the first tap. It would initialize a sterilization of the keyboard. We all know how nasty they get in use. :D

mannpau

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
It's a "REVERT-TO-NORMAL" button that dumps the MacOS and refunds you $2000 in overcharges for mac hardware and software, then installs Ubuntu.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Or this photo is simply a prototype which doesn't have the final printing and/or button layout as it will appear in the final version

But feel free to speculate away....you'll have your actual answer soon enough

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
It activates the reality distortion field. :p

My best guess is that they might leave it open to the user, so if there's a specific app you launch a lot you could simply press the button hot-linked to it, rather than browsing through all of your available apps. Just a guess, though.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
It's a "REVERT-TO-NORMAL" button that dumps the MacOS and refunds you $2000 in overcharges for mac hardware and software, then installs Ubuntu.
Apple fanboys are castigated for saying "it just works" when it doesn't always. But if I had a dollar for every hour I spent trying to get various device drivers and supposedly working software to actually work on linux, I'd be a friggin millionaire. And yes, I can figure it out, I just don't want to be a sysadmin when I have real work to get done.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The dashboard/widgets idea sounds interesting, if that what the key would possibly be used for in the future.

My question though is if there is a dashboard function on the ipad, how would you access it from the ipad screen itself?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Well what I *do* think is a valid question is: assuming the dock+keyboard does have a bunch of iPad specific keys (e.g. Home, others?), will Apple allow you to remap the standalone BT keyboard to invoke these functions?

Presumably yes since they specifically cite the BT keyboard as a compatible accessory. But until we have clearer confirmation I may hold off on a dock order as I'd much rather get the stand-alone dock and BT keyboard.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I just cannot believe all the people in this thread... 3 pages!

The reason the blank key is there is staring you in the face...

How much would it cost apple to manufacture a whole new set of aluminium plates to make a small volume of keyboards with that one button missing?

The answer to your question, is that this keyboard is a normal stock keyboard with a few of the keys icons changed. What could an ipad do with a control, alt and command button?

The ipad was designed to be cheap, and that means the accessories have to be cheap. Creating a whole new line of keyboards, with new machining molds and new templates just to remove a couple of buttons which may be useful in the future is a dumb dumb thing to do when trying to be cheap.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Reusing an existing keyboard mould makes a lot of sense. However it doesn't explain why the key is entirely blank. I would have thought that Apple would have put something on every key even if it was just a shortcut to Safari or the iPod.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I just cannot believe all the people in this thread... 3 pages!

The reason the blank key is there is staring you in the face...

How much would it cost apple to manufacture a whole new set of aluminium plates to make a small volume of keyboards with that one button missing?

The answer to your question, is that this keyboard is a normal stock keyboard with a few of the keys icons changed. What could an ipad do with a control, alt and command button?

The ipad was designed to be cheap, and that means the accessories have to be cheap. Creating a whole new line of keyboards, with new machining molds and new templates just to remove a couple of buttons which may be useful in the future is a dumb dumb thing to do when trying to be cheap.

Well for my part it never crossed my mind that it wasn't 100% the same hardware as in the standard BT keyboard.

I agree with Essential Parado - Apple would never just "leave it blank." It's way too sloppy for Apple to just "eat" an unintended consequence of using the same hardware. I feel pretty strongly that they would absolutely do something with it. Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.