Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I'm REALLY undecided for a case for my mini 2. It's mainly gonna be used by my crazy 1 1/2 your old kid so I'm looking for a durable, yet sleek case with a multi angle kickstand & a nice screen protector. The Spigen cases look perfect but no kickstand. Leaning toward the Poetic Slimline. Can anyone tell me how thick/hard & durable the actual case is ? I'll prob get it being that the screen is also completely covered. My kid is really starting to like his mini hockey sticks. Lol

I ordered the SPIGEN case. I'll post a review when it arrives.

----------

It doesn't fit: one corner won't go in. Many hard cases have similar issues (Speck SmartShell, Joy Factory SmartSuit mini, Switcheasy CoverBuddy). Even the Tech21 Impact Mesh will have issues, as it fits tighter than many TPU cases.

Funny enough, the Ampjacket for iPad Mini by Kubxlab fits fine, though. Just no hole for the second mic.

I was thinking, is the second mic hole really necessary?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I've tested recording video with the second hole blocked: there's a difference in audio for sure. It's used for noise cancellation, it seems.

Did you find the "covered" recording to be noticeably noisier, or was it more of a different EQ curve (more muffled, or tinnier)?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Does anyone know if the Belkin Shield has the cut out for the second mic?

The iPad Air one does but the pic for the iPad Mini on the Belkin site doesnt.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I picked up a back cover from Amazon by I-blason and it's actually really nice and fits well. Holds the Smart Cover on. Was only $10 for the mini.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Did you find the "covered" recording to be noticeably noisier, or was it more of a different EQ curve (more muffled, or tinnier)?

There was some extra background noise: I ran a fan and stood some distance from it. With both mice open to the sir (or at least having a channel), my voice was clearer.

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Looking for a case that is as tough as the Otterbox Defender but without the annoying screen protector.

I purchased an Otterbox Defender and am going to try to remove the screen protector but i havent been able to find a protective case (covers all edges and has lay on the table design) and also protects the front with a case or cover of some sort

Does anyone recommend AGAINST removing the otterbox protector?

If anyone can help me find a rugged case it's going to be for someone in 6th grade so it has to take abuse

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Looking for a case that is as tough as the Otterbox Defender but without the annoying screen protector.

I purchased an Otterbox Defender and am going to try to remove the screen protector but i havent been able to find a protective case (covers all edges and has lay on the table design) and also protects the front with a case or cover of some sort

If anyone can help me find a rugged case it's going to be for someone in 6th grade so it has to take abuse

I almost purchased this because I wanted superior protection without a screen protector. It has a hard plastic front cover that is removable or can be used on the back:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Tough-Jacket-Case-iPad/dp/B00A9SR11Y

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006

What about the SPIGEN Tough Armor? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=6458422537-20

Last edited:

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
The Poetic Slimline (second from the top in original post) DOES have the microphone hole in the back. Just got it two days ago, but like it so far. Definitely recommend at that price.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
The Poetic Slimline (second from the top in original post) DOES have the microphone hole in the back. Just got it two days ago, but like it so far. Definitely recommend at that price.

Good to know. Does the cover also magnetically make the triangle when folding over the cover to make the stand? Some cases do (like the Moko), but some don't (like my Monoprice case).

StephenAndrew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I bought the Kavaj Berlin case - as another user reported, the case is so snug that the sleep/wake button remains depressed, prompting the "slide to power off." I ended up cutting out a hole for it, but I still hate this case. It's generally junky quality, and it doesn't stand up on its own very well. I should have just returned it, but since I altered it I can't.

I have a Pack n' Smooch felt sleeve for my MBP - it's very nice. Although I wouldn't get one for an iPad though, since the stand and sleep/wake functionality is a priority.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
The Belkin Apex 360 doesn't have the back mic hole and is a pain to get on, but seems to work okay. Better than the Griffin Survivor as it's not quite as thick, has grooves around the back for grip, and a detachable Smart Cover that they call a Quick Stand. Plus the front lid locks in with a latch to keep the cover closed.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Nearly all of these are not compatible with the mini retina bc there is no cutout on the back for the second microphone hole.

I agree. Additionally, some of the more snug ones on the iPad Mini don't work well at all for the rMini, such as the Speck FitFolio, doesn't fit the rMini's slightly extra thickness well at all, same with the SwitchEasy Coverbuddy.

I want to find a back plate that'll allow the use of my existing mini's Smart Cover on my rMini. I loved my Switcheasy CoverBuddy, but it just doesn't fit securely (one corner always seems to want to pop up cause it's slightly too thin), not to mention lack of the mic hole.

----------

Neither, yuck! lol

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Good to know. Does the cover also magnetically make the triangle when folding over the cover to make the stand? Some cases do (like the Moko), but some don't (like my Monoprice case).

This was from a few days ago, but yes, the Poetic Slimline does make the triangle magnetically.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Could any of you guys confirm if the iPad mini 1 cases fit the retina? Apart from the obvious 2nd mic hole will there be any difference?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Could any of you guys confirm if the iPad mini 1 cases fit the retina? Apart from the obvious 2nd mic hole will there be any difference?

No, they don't necessarily fit. The thickness increase is small but significant. Some cases will fit, some won't, and some will fit but not quite right.

The problem is a lot of case sellers (mostly eBay type stuff) are treating them interchangeably, causing even more confusion.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
My setup... same as my Mini 1... Switcheasy Coverbuddy for the back, OEM smart cover for the front. Makes for the absolute thinnest full body protection on the market today.

Attachments

• IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 4,038
  • IMG_7608.jpeg
    IMG_7608.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4,044
  • IMG_7609.jpeg
    IMG_7609.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,082
  • IMG_7610.jpeg
    IMG_7610.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4,043
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.