Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
"Ridiculously popular?" According to who? I've never seen anyone with this case. Just because it's popular in your house doesn't mean it's "ridiculously popular" in general. It's certainly not compared to Speck, Spigen, Incase, Belkin, Lifeproof, etc.

The 4/4s version was very popular especially with people on this forum. So no need to be a smart ass.

Side note tho from the pictures the case doesn't have the retina mini mic hole so that sucks lol.

Mackblack

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Incipio NGP for iPad Mini Retina

Just got an INCIPIO NGP case for iPad Mini retina and I can confirm it does have a second mic hole on the back as pictured on their website and it is a good basic case for your iPad mini retina.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 587

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
Update on the newest Poetic thinshell for the rmini came early and does in fact have the cut-out for the mic. :)

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Anyone have case suggestions with the same coverage as the official case? Seems like a lot of case makers cheap out on the cutouts.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
My setup... same as my Mini 1... Switcheasy Coverbuddy for the back, OEM smart cover for the front. Makes for the absolute thinnest full body protection on the market today.

Hey, is that a mini retina specific version?

I'm in the UK and amazon only has them which are from last year which will be for the old mini. Do they fit OK on the new ones?

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012

I'm in the UK and amazon only has them which are from last year which will be for the old mini. Do they fit OK on the new ones?

It's the old one - no new version yet available or announced. It's a bit tight, but fits ok. Mostly the corners and other retention edges won't be as fae over the edge as before.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
John Lewis in UK currently offering 20% discount on Apple smart cases all colours

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
It's the old one - no new version yet available or announced. It's a bit tight, but fits ok. Mostly the corners and other retention edges won't be as fae over the edge as before.

Ah ok thanks!
ordered, should arrive tomorrow

Must say I quite like the black apple smartcover. The rubber is nice and rubbery and it looks good.

a little flimsy when standing maybe.

mrdoeboix12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Since the retina mini is slightly thicker than the old mini, I put together a roundup of cases that are specifically marketed as being for the iPad mini with Retina display. Some older cases might work if they aren't very form-fitting. These cases should work without any problems since they're advertised as such.

Just posted my review of the rooCASE Slim Shell Origami case. Maybe you can add this to your list as well. (Sorry my pics aren't pro. Lol)

Attachments

• 20131130_160529.jpg
    20131130_160529.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 20131130_160857.jpg
    20131130_160857.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 20131130_160250.jpg
    20131130_160250.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 215

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Just got an INCIPIO NGP case for iPad Mini retina and I can confirm it does have a second mic hole on the back as pictured on their website and it is a good basic case for your iPad mini retina.

wish they had one that has it and is smart-cover compatible.

----------

The fit is a 7\10. Not ideal, no mic hole.

----------

switch easy cove buddy for the back? where did you found that case?

Amazon. It's from my mini 1, but fits (tight) on the retina mini. No hole for the mic.

----------

Update on the newest Poetic thinshell for the rmini came early and does in fact have the cut-out for the mic. :)

wish it had a cutout for a smart cover too :-(

----------

Side note tho from the pictures the case doesn't have the retina mini mic hole so that sucks lol.

I'd be curious as to what percentage of people actually use the rear mic (which as far as I can tell would only be used for video recording... maybe FaceTime?) .. And the risk of accidentally setting your iPad on a wet surface with a hole in the back seems a toss up feature vs function.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I'd be curious as to what percentage of people actually use the rear mic (which as far as I can tell would only be used for video recording... maybe FaceTime?) .. And the risk of accidentally setting your iPad on a wet surface with a hole in the back seems a toss up feature vs function.

It's also used for Siri. And if you're setting your iPad on a wet surface, one more hole on the back won't make that much of a difference, in a thin case. Your speaker holes would be possible ingress points in such a scenario too. If voice recognition/recording is important to you, the second mic hole is pretty much a requirement.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
It's also used for Siri. And if you're setting your iPad on a wet surface, one more hole on the back won't make that much of a difference, in a thin case. Your speaker holes would be possible ingress points in such a scenario too. If voice recognition/recording is important to you, the second mic hole is pretty much a requirement.

I wouldn't say requirement. Works fine with one mic. The second seems to be used for video recording and that's about it.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I wouldn't say requirement. Works fine with one mic. The second seems to be used for video recording and that's about it.

I've found Siri works better with both mics open - some noise cancellation seems to be used there. Or at least it screws up less with both mics than just one.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Just got my Poetic Thinshell from Amazon today. It's great. Nice mic hole right where it should be. Nice snug fit. Smooth edges. I'm very pleased. Happy to report that I won't be looking at cases anymore. This along with my Smart Cover is perfect.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Just got my Poetic Thinshell from Amazon today. It's great. Nice mic hole right where it should be. Nice snug fit. Smooth edges. I'm very pleased. Happy to report that I won't be looking at cases anymore. This along with my Smart Cover is perfect.

I don't like their design. It leaves the top and bottom of the device completely exposed. The SpeakEasy Cover Buddy does not.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I don't like their design. It leaves the top and bottom of the device completely exposed. The SpeakEasy Cover Buddy does not.

How long have you had your Cover Buddy? I've had two now that have split/cracked at the corners in just a few months of getting the case. I have never dropped my iPad or bumped it against anything that would cause it to crack. I don't want to get another replacement just to have it crack in the same spot, but I cannot find any other back cover that has full coverage like the Cover Buddy. It's also not updated for the retina, which I now have. I'm seriously considering the smart case since options are limited right now.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
How long have you had your Cover Buddy? I've had two now that have split/cracked at the corners in just a few months of getting the case. I have never dropped my iPad or bumped it against anything that would cause it to crack. I don't want to get another replacement just to have it crack in the same spot, but I cannot find any other back cover that has full coverage like the Cover Buddy. It's also not updated for the retina, which I now have. I'm seriously considering the smart case since options are limited right now.

Had it for a year, it cracked once. Replaced it, and it's been ok since, but yeah, the plastic seems a bit brittle. Wish there was an alternative just like it.

quamsi

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.