Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Why there is a small hole on that back? make me think this case is made base from rumor. Is the sleep and wake function works?

What small hole? The one showing the apple logo. It's there for style and looks rather good. The sleep wake function doesn't work but I don't know if it has it.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
So here's what I'm doing until the good cases come out in a month ot two. I need a "back" that locks on the smartcover so it can't come off as I travel, and the case can come loose sliding it in and out of my briefcase. This is a Kay's TPU they sent me with a note saying they were sorry that it was not made for a smartcover but advertised as such. They are sending one that does work. But it still won't lock on like a Zum or Smartfeather.

Kay's here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SDH1AM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

So the first thing I did was cover the back with the fake CF that is sold by icarbons and others. I use so much of this stuff in car detailing, I buy it by the yard at metrorestyling.com. Easy to cut a piece to temp protect the back, no matter what...also diminishes the visibility of the cut below.

AD96B266-3832-4077-97DA-BD2D5D2FDC33-1504-0000034344E216A6.jpg

Then cut the Kays case with scissors to fit the smartcover and I'm good for a month or two..
9ED32329-D5F3-4903-A0DE-96D17F7F2C21-1504-0000034341BBF7B5.jpg

3581C9DF-BD79-4B3B-9065-535CD45F5D6B-1504-000003433E379016.jpg

and yes, the cut could be more accurate but I'm not much into being OCD about it, for a cover that will be trashed soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Mine had this overpowering "chemical" smell, it was hard to describe.

I sat it outside for a day and the scent is all but gone

Oh, that's good. The case is good for under $6, but it won't be my permanent case. I also don't like how one of the clips at the bottom covers one of the stereo speakers. I'm hoping that the replacement cases that they are sending will have that clip moved slightly to avoid the speaker (but I doubt it).

I just pulled the trigger on this iBlason case:

413rVjZ%2B64L._AA300_.jpg
31EM3w8MOKL._AA300_.jpg
31UprCbPaNL._AA300_.jpg

It's the i-Blason SoftGel Flexible Semi-Transparent TPU Case in Frost/Clear. It isn't compatible with the SmartCover, which is fine by me. I was debating between the frost/clear and the black translucent, but ended up ordering the clear figuring that the black translucent will be too dark for my black mini. Fortunately it's fulfilled by Amazon, so if I don't like it, returning it will be easy. The price was pretty low too.

I was hoping that Belkin would make a Grip Vue for the mini, but I don't see it on their website. I had one for the 1st gen iPad, and it was an awesome case. Oh well.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I like it but went with the Joy version which also supports the Smart Cover. Made from the same material.

If you are referring to these (link below), then it's not the same material. The iBlason is a TPU case which is a softer case (but thicker than silicone). Where as the Joy case is a hard shell plastic (similar to Incipio's feather and the Switcheasy nude and coverbuddy cases).

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/smartfit-mini

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Trying to find a relatively cheap smart cover compatible hard shell with a rubberized back (like the smart feather). All I've been able to find so far is glossy polycarb

Maybe KaysCase is working on it

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Cancelled Kaycase orders...

I had two Kaycase orders (one for hard shell smart cover, and one for TPU smart cover), and I requested to cancel the orders and return the temp cases they sent me. They cancelled the orders and issued me the refund w/o having me return the temp cases.

I don't plan on using them, but figured I would send this out in case anyone thought about canceling/returning their order as well. It's probably not worth it to them to pay the return shipping.

singleframe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Anyone know where I can find a just a back cover that has some grip/rubber?? Transparent would be cool. And not a cheap eBay one.
I don't think I'll need a front cover with the mini. I will have a screen protector though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.