Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Great. I can't wait to hear everyone complaining about the scratching of their ipad mini's.

stupid apple will use a cheap lame process to paint the metal black and it will flake off easy soo damn sad...:(

----------

Of course this thing is going to be a hot item for the holidays, that was a given. Interesting that it will follow the same aluminium as the iPhone 5, I think I will be going white then.

yup white iphone5 and white ipad mini for me

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Dear Mr. Cook,

Could you please leak a few details about the Mac Pro and iMac to assure us that WE computer users know that you haven't forgotten us?

And, does Apple even have a department related to these computers or has everyone at Apple been moved over to the iPad and iPhone departments?

They keep refreshing their macbook air and macbook pro lines, and this year they even released a whole new macbook pro retina display.
I don't know what are you complaining about. The iMac actually should be refreshed but have patience. But the mac pro? Who would buy that? Just buy a desktop PC. I understand buying macbooks because of their external characteristics and build quality, compared to the plasticky windows laptops. But why would anyone buy a mac pro for a minimum of 3000$ when he can buy an equivalent (and not at all different, if you hackintosh it) windows desktop for 1000$...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Every Apple product had some 'issues' at production that contributes to 'low stock' at launch, so everyone go line up if they want to get their hands on one. Sure, sure... Apple, please be more creative next time. Getting tired of these 'rumors'. :cool:

Apple isn't the one saying this. Its the analysts trying to cover their butts on either the existence of something (like this ipad mini or the 'real' apple tv) or covering their number estimates. If they over judged they can lay it on the issues not their numbers.

----------

Would of been happy if it was iMac production issues.... at least we would of known they are round the corner :D

we've gotten those. Remember the whole 'they can't do retina after all cause they can't make a screen with double the resolution' rumors from a month or two ago.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
If an iPad mini does make it's way this month at an Apple event, I would imagine all the current iPad models will also be rev'd with the new dock connector. So that could also be another reason why it has been delayed. Apple has to prep all the iPads so they ALL have the new connector.

Needless to say, they are still waaaaaay behind with supplying enough adapters. I expect those to be harder to get than the device for some time.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Yes I realize, but wouldn't it suck that you just got a new iPad then 3 months from now. Then they release a new upgraded IPad for the same price you got yours.

It's called "life". And guess what, something, somewhere will be released after this too. Build a bridge, and get over it.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Dear Mr. Cook,

Could you please leak a few details about the Mac Pro and iMac to assure us that WE computer users know that you haven't forgotten us?

And, does Apple even have a department related to these computers or has everyone at Apple been moved over to the iPad and iPhone departments?

Users: "Man, it's been 400+ days since iMac and Mini were updated, the Pro is from the stone age -- I've got cash burning a hole in my pocket but if there was ever a time to hold off buying Macs, it's right now."

Apple: "Hmm, people stopped buying Macs, the post-PC era came faster than expected. Now we must pull the plug on all Mac models except the MBPs, and we will hold off updating the MBPs for 2 years and monitor sales carefully. If sales are down by the end of the second year, we're discontinuing Macs entirely."

;)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
But the mac pro? Who would buy that?
Umm, software developers and video guys like their heavy-duty 12-core Mac Pro workhorses, because nothing sucks more than compiling and rendering on wimpy consumer products. But by all means, go ahead and scoff at the people who produce the actual content that makes your computer worth a damn to boot up.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
Two things you need to take into account;

1. The new iPod Touch and iPad Retina are both using very high resolution Retina displays that are not only difficult but expensive to produce.

2. The rumored iPad Mini is speculated to have a non-Retina display @ 1024x768 resolution, which is the resolution of the iPad 2.

It's also rumored to use the new sharp hi-res 7".. IGZO panels. They won't release a low res ipad mini. utterly rediclous.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I really cannot imagine this being even in production. I doubt Apple would create another iPad that would become somewhat of a fragmented iOS ecosystem.
Because... the missing link between iPod touch and iPad 3 will disturb the... um... what? Balance of the Force?

So far they've done 320x480, 640x960, 640x1136, 1024x768 and 2048x1536, and the ecosystem didn't explode. I doubt that another device with screen size and resolution (whatever)x(whatever) will "fragment" anything.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Children with little hands (and petite adults)....

I highly doubt that Apple will play the low-cost game that Google, Amazon, and Nook are playing. The rumor pricing of the iPad mini at $199 to $250 is a pipe dream. Since the iPod Touch is $299/399 (32GB/64GB) and the new 10 inch iPad is $499/599/699 (16/32/64GB) plus $130 for cellular I speculate the iPad mini will be $399/499/599 plus $130 for cellular with the kicker that it comes with a retina display. The iPad 2 could be discontinued to make room for this price point.

Although I'm very surprised that there are no rumors floating around for the iPad 4. Other than a faster processor, there's really nothing else that I can think of to add to the iPad, except maybe make it bigger. Apple, please make a 15" iPad with the MacBookPro retina display. Mod the OS to allow you to run fullscreen or have 2 apps up at once at half screen each.

So wait.... right now you can get the 9.7" iPad 2 for $399

But next month you can get a smaller iPad for that same price? That doesn't make any sense.

The way I see it...

$299 iPad Mini
$399 iPad 2
$499 New iPad

Remember... the iPad Mini won't have the same horsepower as the high-end iPad. The iPad Mini is the entry-level model. It's priced low... but you can always go up the iPad line.

Apple will still be profitable on the iPad Mini because of their parts buying volume. There's no danger of Apple losing money on the iPad Mini like Google or Amazon.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Apple will still be profitable on the iPad Mini because of their parts buying volume. There's no danger of Apple losing money on the iPad Mini like Google or Amazon.

Apple isn't a price-oriented product company. The cost of the parts is irrelevant to the discussion, and probably antithetical to it as well because that discussion still is all about price.

Apple's products aren't known for being the lowest priced products out there, that's for those crappy commodity product companies that merely copy what others have already invented and innovated.

The Apple brand is about premium and quality and nothing about replication or copy in a commodity way. They will protect the brand's value and they won't release a low-priced product, or a product that is in any way a copy of what's already out there, so an iPad 2 in a smaller form factor will *not* be the new iPad Mini, it's not in keeping with the Apple brand and I don't for a moment believe it will happen. I can't wait to see what happens or doesn't in the next few weeks!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Thats code for DO NOT ADOPT EARLY.

You're HIGHLY likely to have a poor QC product.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple isn't a price-oriented product company. The cost of the parts is irrelevant to the discussion, and probably antithetical to it as well because that discussion still is all about price.

Apple's products aren't known for being the lowest priced products out there, that's for those crappy commodity product companies that merely copy what others have already invented and innovated.

The Apple brand is about premium and quality and nothing about replication or copy in a commodity way. They will protect the brand's value and they won't release a low-priced product, or a product that is in any way a copy of what's already out there, so an iPad 2 in a smaller form factor will *not* be the new iPad Mini, it's not in keeping with the Apple brand and I don't for a moment believe it will happen. I can't wait to see what happens or doesn't in the next few weeks!

The reason I mentioned the price of the parts is to show that Apple will NOT make a money-losing product like Google or Amazon. The comment I was replying to said Apple would not follow the in the footsteps of Amazon and Google... and I agreed.

I do believe Apple can make a cheaper iPad and still make money on it.

Does the $50 iPod Shuffle devalue the entire iPod brand?

Also... the Macbook Air began life as an $1800 product.... now you can get a smaller one for $1000

Apple was very proud of the new iPad's Retina display. So why did they keep selling the old iPad 2 with a non-Retina display? Clearly it met Apple's high-quality branding requirements.

So why wouldn't a smaller version do the same thing?

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
So wait.... right now you can get the 9.7" iPad 2 for $399

But next month you can get a smaller iPad for that same price? That doesn't make any sense.

The way I see it...

$299 iPad Mini
$399 iPad 2
$499 New iPad

Remember... the iPad Mini won't have the same horsepower as the high-end iPad. The iPad Mini is the entry-level model. It's priced low... but you can always go up the iPad line.

well, if ipad mini price will be $299, new ipod touch 5th Gen (basic model $299). will be dropping price as well. but I don't think that apple will do. this ipad mini totally doesn't fit any of this and make any sense. unlikely Steve era, Tim doesn't seem to predict future. 7 inch tablet market is already dominated by android devices like google, amazon. nowadays, their devices are almost sold out. they are sold like hotcake. apple won't compete. it is mistake. ipad mini will be in the same situation like apple TV.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
well, if ipad mini price will be $299, new ipod touch 5th Gen (basic model $299). will be dropping price as well. but I don't think that apple will do. this ipad mini totally doesn't fit any of this and make any sense. unlikely Steve era, Tim doesn't seem to predict future. 7 inch tablet market is already dominated by android devices like google, amazon. nowadays, their devices are almost sold out. they are sold like hotcake. apple won't compete. it is mistake. ipad mini will be in the same situation like apple TV.

Wait a minute...

$199 Android tablets sell like hotcakes

$499 Apple iPads also sell like hotcakes

But an iPad somewhere between those two pricepoints would be dead in the water? :confused:

Also... please stop mentioning the top-of-the-line iPod Touch whenever the topic of the entry-level iPad is discussed. Yes... it is possible to have two different products priced the same.

But if you must mention the iPod... why not explore the whole line:

- iPods available from $49 to $399

And if there was an iPad Mini... the iPad line could look like this:

- iPads available from $299 to $829

That does not seem unusual.

And speaking of iPods... did you know that Apple only sold 4 million iPod Touches last quarter?

Now guess how many iPads they sold last quarter... 17 million.

So expanding the iPad line with more models make tremendous sense... while the iPod Touch is sinking into a niche market.

To paraphrase you... I think the iPod Touch will be in the same situation as Apple TV. :p

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If the Mini gets released this month I can fully understand why, look what's being(going to be) released (lately), iPhone 5, new iPods, mini, all with new displays so I guess it's hard to keep up with demand/manufacturing

no prob to get a 5 here. just got bk from the mall. vodafone & o2 both had plenty of the white and black 16gb one at least. too bad i dont have plenty of money as a student :eek:

You contradict what is in your signature.

Your Sig:
iPhone 4S Wood Brown iPhone 4 Black new iPad Wifi+4G White MacBookPro AppleTV 3

So now you have:

iPhone 5
iPhone 4s
iPhone 4
iPad 3
MacbookPro
AppleTv

You are SOOO poor:rolleyes:

Would of? :confused:

Agreed, is this an American thing lately?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone else find this report hard to believe? Is there any really new technology in the rumored iPad mini? Most of the parts are probably off the shelf. Seems like a ruse to get people to preorder on day 1...

The iPad mini will probably have newer parts than the 3rd-gen iPad, and the 4th-gen iPad will surely catch up. And the body is, of course, new, and they are having trouble with the black aluminum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I now see the use of calling the iPad the "iPad" instead of the "iPad X". I feel like Apple decided to make the iPad mini when the 3rd-gen iPad came out. Calling the 3rd-gen iPad the "iPad 3" would have made it seem newer and would be better, but this would be awkward if an iPad mini was introduced.

Imagine there being an "iPad 3" and an "iPad mini". They're not going to make it the "iPad mini 2", so there would just be numbers on the large iPad but not the small one. It would be confusing. Then the "iPad 4" and the "iPad mini (second gen)"...

----------

This again. LG makes very bad products. They're clearly gimmick-shouting corner-cutters. The main thing I always liked about Apple was how they had no gimmicks and solid quality, but this has changed recently with Siri and 3D Flyover, both gimmick features that are advertised way too much. Still, it beats the Android-based phones that boast even more gimmicky features like animation speed control.

----------

On its larger surface (compared to the iPhone 5), the anodized aluminum on the back is probably having more problems with scratches than the iPhone 5 did.

I think a case will be an essential accessory for anyone who wants to maintain a half decent appearance on their iPad Mini.

If I had an iPad, I'd be terrified of having it not be in a case. By the way, it's "iPad mini", not "iPad Mini". I'm basing this off of the other Apple products, the iPod touch and iPod classic. The second word is lower-case.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I think the key points people are missing or are:

1) The iPad SET the standard for the large tablet market, it had and has no competition and as such Apple can charge anything they want, people will buy it.

2) The Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 have set the standard for the 7 inch market. The specs and price set the expectations of the market.

In that sense, Apple is now doing something it hasn't done in a long time, playing catch up and trying to beat an established market. If they want to do that, they need to match at least on screen, memory and processing power. IMHO an iPad 2 spec aka 1024x768 with 512 mb, 16 gb and an A5 at $399 is NOT going to cut it. YES people buy on reputation but they also buy on spec sheets. Also, if the iPad 2 cannot run all of iOS 6 and certainly may not run iOS7 (based on Apples history of dropping device support after a couple of years) then how can this new mini expect to be supported with the latest and greatest and not older iPad 2?

At $299 I think an iPad 2 speced mini would sell okay, at $399 no way IMHO.

Apple cannot deliver a dog with Apple lipstick and call it pretty, they need to compete this time on specs and price.

My feeling tells me Apple will drop the iPad 2 and slot the mini in that space at $399. If so, and if the specs are the same as an iPad 2, I think it will not sell as great as predicted. Now, if they can add Retina, 1 gb of ram and an A5x or A6, then for the price bump they may sell.

Even still when looking at a Nexus 7 at $249 with a great display, 1 gb of ram, quad core Tegra, etc it is hard to justify a $150 premium, ecosystem aside. The $199 Kindle HD is even harder to avoid.

It will be interesting to see if this happens, but if Apple wants to compete they need to bring it, and bring it right either with premium specs or a close price.

Last edited:

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
If the iPad Mini is in fact a reality, I suspect that it will not be a retail SKU, more likely a specialty product for educational or corporate use - something to be used as a digital textbook and note taking. It's the only way I can think of this working with the rest of the products on Apple's lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.