Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Only one thing must be done to keep up with demand. Worker Irobots!!!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Of course this thing is going to be a hot item for the holidays, that was a given. Interesting that it will follow the same aluminium as the iPhone 5, I think I will be going white then.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
Friends, what is advantage of mini-me ipad over real ipad? Only cost? Can not put it in pocket. Maybe for girls with little purse?

:confused:

Children with little hands (and petite adults)....

I highly doubt that Apple will play the low-cost game that Google, Amazon, and Nook are playing. The rumor pricing of the iPad mini at $199 to $250 is a pipe dream. Since the iPod Touch is $299/399 (32GB/64GB) and the new 10 inch iPad is $499/599/699 (16/32/64GB) plus $130 for cellular I speculate the iPad mini will be $399/499/599 plus $130 for cellular with the kicker that it comes with a retina display. The iPad 2 could be discontinued to make room for this price point.

Although I'm very surprised that there are no rumors floating around for the iPad 4. Other than a faster processor, there's really nothing else that I can think of to add to the iPad, except maybe make it bigger. Apple, please make a 15" iPad with the MacBookPro retina display. Mod the OS to allow you to run fullscreen or have 2 apps up at once at half screen each.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I see no point for this product

but I dont carry a purse, or read 50 shades of Aluminum

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

I highly doubt that Apple will play the low-cost game that Google, Amazon, and Nook are playing. The rumor pricing of the iPad mini at $199 to $250 is a pipe dream. Since the iPod Touch is $299/399 (32GB/64GB) and the new 10 inch iPad is $499/599/699 (16/32/64GB) plus $130 for cellular I speculate the iPad mini will be $399/499/599 plus $130 for cellular with the kicker that it comes with a retina display. The iPad 2 could be discontinued to make room for this price point.

Although I'm very surprised that there are no rumors floating around for the iPad 4. Other than a faster processor, there's really nothing else that I can think of to add to the iPad, except maybe make it bigger. Apple, please make a 15" iPad with the MacBookPro retina display. Mod the OS to allow you to run fullscreen or have 2 apps up at once at half screen each.

What you want has already been done and is called the ModBook Pro starts from $3499.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hopefully the bare aluminium will be available with a black faceplate. But recent design choices means that is unlikely.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011

Two things you need to take into account;

1. The new iPod Touch and iPad Retina are both using very high resolution Retina displays that are not only difficult but expensive to produce.

2. The rumored iPad Mini is speculated to have a non-Retina display @ 1024x768 resolution, which is the resolution of the iPad 2.

I don't see a non-retina iPad Mini with a starting price of $399. It's too expensive. If Apple wants that model to be successful, the most they can charge for it is a starting price of $299 for the 16GB version.

Now if Apple pulls a rabbit out of their hat and introduce a retina 2048x1536 iPad Mini then yes, I can definitely see it having a starting price of $399(16GB). It would be great if Apple just drops the iPad 2 from their lineup and introduce a retina iPad Mini. That way their entire iOS produce lineup would finally be entirely Retina-based. Just get it done and over with.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Whaaaaaaaat?

So you're telling me apple will have supply constraints of a new device at launch?

I don't buy it. Never gonna happen.

I'm calling FAKE!

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007

Thinner and lighter.

Just make it lighter. Its still too heavy.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Isn't this how it's done these days?

Announce product, deliver short supply so it sells out fast, creates even more demand, eventually supplies ramp up and deliver product in masses.

Nintendo does this with its consoles.

All of the iPhones and iPads have delivered this way. Why would it be any different this time?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I could understand if this is a retina display issue, but chassis makers? What's so hard about making a piece of metal?

BTW if this does mean these will have a retina display, that will be a nice surprise! I plan on buying one of these regardless because the size seems perfect - it'll fit in my coat pocket (and maybe even my cargo pants pocket).

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Friends, what is advantage of mini-me ipad over real ipad? Only cost? Can not put it in pocket. Maybe for girls with little purse?

The most important thing is that you can comfortably hold it and use it with one hand, it's more portable. It might not fit in your trousers (although some backpockets are big enough) however it will fit in a jacket, hoodie, coat or some suits. A regular iPad won't fit in any garment (afaik). The size is an advantage for some people. Others prefer the bigger screen.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yes I realize, but wouldn't it suck that you just got a new iPad then 3 months from now. Then they release a new upgraded IPad for the same price you got yours.

No. It would suck if you bought it two days before, but couldn't return it because you dropped it or something.

Quick upgrades are the way of the world in technology related products. If you always wait for the next big thing, you'll never buy anything. I try not to worry about what I might be 'missing' in a new object. If I want a newer version, I'll sell my old one, buy the new one and use it until I feel it's time to upgrade again. If they release a better product 5 weeks after I bought mine, I'm not going to worry about it. That's 5 weeks I've been using something that I wouldn't have been had I waited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.