Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepro8

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
HI Guys,

I had a cracked glass on my iPad air. I paid UbreakIfix to replace they glass, which they did, but there is continuous problems.

Problem 1: messed up the smart cover sensor. (so they replace it again)
Problem 2: getting phantom touches all over the screen causing it to go crazy (so they replace it again)
Problem 3: still getting phantom touches

They are going to try replacing it a 3rd time, but said they are going to refund my money if that doesn't work.

Aren't I screwed if it doesn't work and they refund me the money ? Can I take to Apple for a repair or will they deny it because i had a 3rd party put glass on it.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
They don't repair iPads, your best hope is for OOW replacement, which they may or may not do because of non apple screen.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
3rd party repairs void the warranty. Apple will not repair or replace a device that has been opened by a 3rd party. Just buy a new one.
He should still as discussed qualify for an out of warranty replacement. Worth a try!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's not all third parties but only those who are repair centres not authorised by Apple. If it's an authorised repair company then Apple should still offer to repair or replace.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
Did you have AppleCare? If not, I highly recommend it going forward!

I don't think it's worth buying Apple products w.o. AppleCare, tbh. I've gotten probably $3000 worth of new Apple products for free through about $500 worth of AppleCare purchases. They've never even charged me the $50 repair fee that they claim is part of AppleCare. I walk in with a damaged device, and walk out 3 minutes later with a brand new one. Honestly, that's one of the main reasons that it's very unlikely that I'll leave the Apple ecosystem anytime soon ✌️

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I would never let anyone but Apple attempt to repair my iPad, and definitely not some place called ubuyibreakupay or whatever it's called.

Reactions: alecgold

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
On topic:
I used to work at a third party repair shop that did non-Apple sanctioned repairs.

I would recommend trying the final repair. If it's no good, then ask them to replace, as much as possible, the original, damaged part. We would do this when our parts weren't working properly, and said people to get OOW replacements done. We never heard complaints saying Apple had refused them.

Reactions: alecgold

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
They don't repair iPads, your best hope is for OOW replacement, which they may or may not do because of non apple screen.

"
How long will it take?
After you send in your iPad for service, you'll receive a replacement or your repaired iPad in three to five business days. A replacement iPad will be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. If your iPad was engraved by Apple, it could take up to two weeks."

Apple's word, not mine. :)

Or they need to change their website wording then...

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
You can try bringing it to Apple or maybe another repair shop with a tech that could have better repair skills. Make sure to get a refund from ubreakifix, as their repair should come with some kind of guarantee or warranty. Apple will most likely only repair it if is still in warranty. If all else fails and you need to buy a new ipad, you can sell your old ipad to buybackworld or try the Apple trade in program for a credit.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I would never go to ubreakwefleece, at least with the Air 2, the price was the same or more then what Apple was charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.