Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
It will sell because it's an apple product. But it would sell even better if it ran OSX.

Apple needs to copy Microsoft when it comes to making a large tablet like this. Surface pro 3 is the perfect tablet for professionals because it runs a full desktop OS. Which means company software and other desktop suites can be installed onto it.

Adding a pen isn't going to make it more professional. Tons of tablets these days come with pens.

JohnnyAppleTV

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
I'm REALLY excited about this. I hope they add palm rejection. I mainly use my iPad air for professional digital painting, it's basically my main tool for my work, I don't like using wacoms, and now with this iPad pro i hope things will get easier, Can't wait to see Procreate, iDraw and Pixelmator on that huge tablet with so much RAM :')

I just hope they add palm support... other than that, YAY!

Yeah, I find it difficult to use drawing/writing apps when I can't rest my hand on the screen like I naturally do with pencil and paper. I hope the palm rejection is smarter than the pseudo-palm rejection iPad apps currently offer.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Will there be a market for this? I don't think I will be buying this as it is too large. Unless if it runs OSX and has a usb c port... That would really change things...
Don't forget the keyboard cover. :apple:

Of course if they did all this it would be called the MacBook which was released earlier this year. hmmm...

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
If Apple wants to be big in education & business, they should have a true stylus and palm rejection. Seriously, it sounds quite weird to tell students to get their iPads & tablets along with their notebooks and pens/pencils. And those leather business portfolio iPad covers are hideous and make the owner look like a loser (sorry). The functionality is already built into an iPad/tablet - just add better hardware support.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
So, maybe a September iPad keynote after all?

Will the invitations say:
"We have something big to show you.." ??.. or "Something big is coming.." ??

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ha, earlier this year this clown thought force touch was such a big deal that Apple might call the next phone iPhone 7 instead of 6S. Now he calls it "evolutionary" and doesn't think it will be a driver of sales. :rolleyes:

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Ok Steve jobs said that 8 years ago. If the original iPad relied on a stylus to be used it would not have been as successful so in that respect he was correct. Technology is a fast moving area always evolving. The jokes about Apple and styli are not funny or witty at all. 8 years in tech is a long time.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Do you remember: A Stylus!!! Nobody want's a stylus! You loose them put it away... :eek:

I remember, but I don't see how a revolutionary touch 3.5" phone not requiring a stylus has anything to do with a 12" tablet having one for optional/expanded functionality. :eek:

Eight years later in fact.

Reactions: Keane16

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just sincerely hope that it isn't just an iPad Air 2 with Force Touch and a bigger display. We need something different and compelling, not only that, but it needs to run an iOS/OS X hybrid. An inflated iOS just won't cut it, even with the new multitasking and split screen features.
Why does it need to run OS X? Why do people want a desktop mouse driven operating system on a tablet?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
They should team up with Wacom on this if they want it to appeal to artists. I doubt force touch and apple invented new pen tech would be better than wacom. An iPad with a wacom pen with pressure sensitivity of 1024 levels would be an amazing product for artists.

Reactions: JohnnyAppleTV

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Will there be a market for this? I don't think I will be buying this as it is too large. Unless if it runs OSX and has a usb c port... That would really change things...
Wouldn't wonder if this would run OSX instead of iOS and comes with an USB-C port..

Ugh...
I (unfortunately) knew these type of really really really poorly thought out comments were coming. =/

It honestly makes me feel like I'm on crazy pills!!!!
Can I seriously be the only one that realizes that an OS with three decades of legacy, based on keyboard & mouse as input devices simply CANNOT WORK AS A TABLET OS WITHOUT A COMPLETE AND TOTAL OVERHAUL AND A 100% PARADIGM SHIFT OF HOW ALL USERS GET "stuff" DONE???!!

Reactions: Keane16

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
At that size, might as well just get a MacBook (Pro/Air/Regular) because you'll need a stand to use it properly. This will be way too heavy for prolonged use.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
They should team up with Wacom on this if they want it to appeal to artists. I doubt force touch and apple invented new pen tech would be better than wacom. An iPad with a wacom pen with pressure sensitivity of 1024 levels would be an amazing product for artists.

Bluetooth pens on the market already provide that level of sensitivity. The issue is really about the software supporting the hardware effectively.

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Don't hold your breath.
I gotta say right now I'm more interested in the Surface line than I am in just a larger screened iPad...
I always thought that the idea of an iPad Pro would be to have the OS X and not the iOS in it.

I've had the Surface Pro with i7 since last year and it's fantastic!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ugh...
I (unfortunately) knew these type of really really really poorly thought out comments were coming. =/

It honestly makes me feel like I'm on crazy pills!!!!
Can I seriously be the only one that realizes that an OS with three decades of legacy, based on keyboard & mouse as input devices simply CANNOT WORK AS A TABLET OS WITHOUT A COMPLETE AND TOTAL OVERHAUL AND A 100% PARADIGM SHIFT OF HOW ALL USERS GET "stuff" DONE???!!
One, I don't get why people want a desktop OS on a tablet. And two, if Apple was putting OS X on a tablet we'd know about it by now, either through leaks or developers uncovering stuff.

Reactions: Tycho24

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The combination of a larger screen, Apple's standard thinness, and Force Touch is worrisome…

"To ... create the new iPad Pro, we asked ourselves 'what do people most need from a large screened tablet?' The answer, of course, is neither function nor affordability, but portability. The new iPad Pro is unapologetically flexible, allowing you to sympathetically scrunch it up and put it in your pocket to carry around.

The design for this forced us to ... rethink ... everything we knew about tablets. By ... removing the battery, and adding a gorgeous RetinaFlex display, this is simply the most portable iPad ever. We also knew that this would be used in the professional market, by people who carry around a computer with them. The innovative 'always on' design means you can keep it hooked up to your MacBook Pro, without having to worry about a battery ever running out.

Simply put, it's the best iPad we've ever made."

jony-ive-10-20-09.jpg

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Come on Apple, release the ipad pro... Cannot wait anymore to replace my ageing ipad2 with the ipad pro... Need something like a surface pro from apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.