Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Will there be a market for this? I don't think I will be buying this as it is too large. Unless if it runs OSX and has a usb c port... That would really change things...
I stopped buying iPads after the iPad Air and saw no compelling reason to upgrade to the air 2. Now I am ready to dive back in.

I really want to use my iPad for work but even with Beta iOS 9, it is too small and slow for work.

A larger screen and better typing surface (maybe force touch will bring up alt characters etc? How cool would that be?) with a stylus has me ready to spend what they are asking. If this could become my everyday work device for travel, I will be all over it.

I fully disagree, I think you will find that the iPad Pro will finally reverse the decline of iPad growth.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is there really a strong belief that apple will include a stylus? I know they sell 3rd party ones, but I would be shocked if they added one.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ok Steve jobs said that 8 years ago. If the original iPad relied on a stylus to be used it would not have been as successful so in that respect he was correct. Technology is a fast moving area always evolving. The jokes about Apple and styli are not funny or witty at all. 8 years in tech is a long time.

He also said that b.c at the time most smartphones had a stylus and it was nothing like the stylus we know today. I remember my treo 650 stylus....that was a joke. It was used to basically "tick" boxes and interact the the screen b.c it was so small.

Reactions: username:

vdgroodt

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Belgium
I don't think the iPad pro/plus will sell good. We need more tools so you can use for more powerful applications. When i want to use some slides or make some notes at the university i am obligated to use my mac for this, for me an ipad is just so unuseful for this type of tasks. That's why i sold my iPad, 100% gadget.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
He also said that b.c at the time most smartphones had a stylus and it was nothing like the stylus we know today. I remember my treo 650 stylus....that was a joke. It was used to basically "tick" boxes and interact the the screen b.c it was so small.

He said it to differentiate Apple and its products vs the competitors. Just like larger screens. Not because there's no value in a stylus.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
He said it to differentiate Apple and its products vs the competitors. Just like larger screens. Not because there's no value in a stylus.

I agree with that part, but a stylus 7 years ago was used in place of a finger. The touchscreens were awful and actually needed them. Today it is actually a tool and can bring a lot of added value.

Reactions: username:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
So, maybe a September iPad keynote after all?

Will the invitations say:
"We have something big to show you.." ??.. or "Something big is coming.." ??

It will probably be announced at the usual October event, that is usually when new iPad's and Mac's are announced. September is for the iPhone's usually and i can't see Apple announcing the iPad Pro at the same event as the iPhones because they will not want either of the devices to upstage each other.

Saying that, i'm very interested in the iPad Pro and really looking forward to it's announcement, i will likely buy one. Hopefully the price tag will not be too high, under the £1000 mark hopefully.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
One, I don't get why people want a desktop OS on a tablet.

Think about it this way: if you had a tablet (or even a smartphone) with a dual boot of iOS and OS X, then you could boot into the desktop OS when connected to an external monitor.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It will probably be announced at the usual October event, that is usually when new iPad's and Mac's are announced. September is for the iPhone's usually and i can't see Apple announcing the iPad Pro at the same event as the iPhones because they will not want either of the devices to upstage each other.

Saying that, i'm very interested in the iPad Pro and really looking forward to it's announcement, i will likely buy one. Hopefully the price tag will not be too high, under the £1000 mark hopefully.

not to forget there is suppose to be a new ATV

Reactions: Dave245

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Why does it need to run OS X? Why do people want a desktop mouse driven operating system on a tablet?

I'm not really sure what people want. With iOS 9, Apple has really leap frogged the iPad as a productivity device. iOS is perfectly fine. Forcing OS X on it will just make it cumbersome. All the iPad needs now is more apps.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why does it need to run OS X? Why do people want a desktop mouse driven operating system on a tablet?

Does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it dual boot. Or that iPad's OS be similar to OSX in operation but still be touch driven?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Think about it this way: if you had a tablet (or even a smartphone) with a dual boot of iOS and OS X, then you could boot into the desktop OS when connected to an external monitor.
Ok but that's different than rewriting OS X for a tablet. I still don't see it happening.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it dual boot. Or that iPad's OS be similar to OSX in operation but still be touch driven?
Sorry I see zero evidence that Apple is prepping OS X for a tablet. Maybe they have some surprises for this fall but I don't think that will be one of them. As far as iPad goes I think what we saw at WWDC is what we're getting for it this year (outside of anything force touch specific that Apple is saving for next month). And considering the issues they've had and are having with software I think they need to polish what they have and make it a great experience before introducing a bunch of new stuff. Get force touch out there, make sure split screen and slide over is a good UX before thinking about quasi merging OS X and iOS for iPad.

Reactions: V.K.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Finally! Can't wait to sell my Mac Pro and iMac with Retina 5K display!

Good luck with that. You either really have no need for a full desktop or don't mine quite a bit of inconvenience to scrap one! One would wonder what need you really had for a Mac Pro if you can replace it with a tablet.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The combination of a larger screen, Apple's standard thinness, and Force Touch is worrisome…
only a problem for those dumb enough to put it in their pockets and sit on it which is pretty hard.

Wouldn't wonder if this would run OSX instead of iOS and comes with an USB-C port..

I just sincerely hope that it isn't just an iPad Air 2 with Force Touch and a bigger display. We need something different and compelling, not only that, but it needs to run an iOS/OS X hybrid. An inflated iOS just won't cut it, even with the new multitasking and split screen features.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of it running OS X which is not at all optimized for touch. Apple made it crystal clear from the beginning that they would not be going windows 8&10 route. Recent developments in hardware (macbook) and software (ios 9) make that clear too.

Will there be a market for this? I don't think I will be buying this as it is too large. Unless if it runs OSX and has a usb c port... That would really change things...

After just getting rid of my note 12.2 in favour of the Macbook pro 2015 I have no interest..not sure why those with a Macbook would want one really

if you don't need it don't buy it. this will obviously be a targeted market product not intended for everybody. Specifically, if the predictions about the size and an active pressure sensitive stulys are true, it will be for people who need to write or draw. neither of these activities are suitable for doing directly with fingers.
It will be day 1 purchase for me. I need it for taking notes during lectures and for using it as shared digital blackboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apples n' Stone

vickynoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
I've said this before, Apple always let other brands to test and spend billions on improving new technologies, and then they will copy the ones worth copying and give out reasons like "the tech has matured now and its good for our consumers"

just like OLED screen, Apple is now considering it since OLED has improved and it produces even more accurate colours compared to retina after samsung spent billions in developing it. Why? because they don't have to spend the extra bucks in R&D, and taking the risk of it being a failure. "It turns out to be a success! We can now copy it and say we were against it before because it was not a matured tech" Thus, able to keep their profit high.

And this so-called "force touch" is nothing but a fancy name of pressure sensitivity capacitive touchscreen, which samsung has for years in their Note phones and tablets. Stylus? They have it in their samsung tablets for years as well, and it is the exact same concept, 'force touch-enabled stylus' AKA samsung pressured sensitivity stylus.

I'm seriously considering at leaving apple's ecosystem. after using the s6 edge for months now, I finally realised freedom do exist outside of Apple's overly controlled ecosystem.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Do you remember: A Stylus!!! Nobody want's a stylus! You loose them put it away... :eek:
Nobody wants to be forced to use a stylus for every single interaction. It's a bit like a GUI vs the command line, just because almost nobody would want a computer where everything is done via the command line or even where a substantial part of the user interaction is done via the command line, doesn't mean that adding a command line interface as something optional is contradicting the first part of this sentence.

Reactions: V.K.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
The Jobs' stylus comment was for a pocket device, which made perfectly sense, at a time where there was a lot of pocket devices with stylus.

Now on a large tablet, things are different.

Reactions: nagromme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.