Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Any chance that you use it in the bathroom when showering?
Mine goes in the shower and I haven't seen such oxidation.
[...]

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.
That damage looks like some kind of salt or solvent based damage. In other words that metal was exposed to some corrosive agent.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
As someone here once explained, the iPhone (current models) is waterproof. The problem is that water vapor, such as what you'd get as steam from a shower, is fine enough (small enough) to slip past the water proof barrier.

In other words, the phone is water proof, not gas/steam proof.
There is no "water proof barrier" on the stainless steel rings around the camera lenses, is there?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
if that’s the case I would still be sorely disappointed in the build quality.

If it can’t handle 10 minutes in a humid environment a day what happens if you live a sub tropical environment?
If normal weather humidity is an issue, there would've been tons of reports from countries in SE Asia like Singapore and Indonesia. But there aren't.

I'm guessing there are more to the story. Water stain/mineral deposits are also a possibility.

Reactions: progx

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
View attachment 2002294 View attachment 2002295 I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.
Gotta use WD-40 on that asap

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I'm not implying I've never dropped my phones before. I ended dropping my HTC Touch Pro once and in picking it up I kicked it and sent it flying. This was face down on concrete.

I have dropped my 5 and dented a corner. My 6s+ has some micro scratches because I dropped it getting into the car, there is a sliver of metal taken out of my iPad bezel because it hit the bed frame when I dropped it in bed.

But the only time I cracked glass was with an iPhone 6+ and this 11 Pro Max. In both cases I was not feeling well when it happened and therefore not paying attention.
So your comment before this one was a lie? You said pristine condition for all your old iPhones but then the following post you reveal all these not so pristine conditions for these very same phones. Please stop making claims for arguments sake. Annoying. People come here for advice through lived experiences. Not ones that apparently change, like shifting sands, just for the sake of engagement. Keep real and honest. No need to respond. Just keep it 100.

p.s. - you’ve just been served.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
i have been living close to the sea for almost 2 years now and no such rust on my 12 Pro Max. you must be living on a boat or something xD

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Even if someone lives next to the sea you still shouldn’t see red rust on a higher grade stainless steel. 316L is marine grade and the stainless Apple uses is apparently ‘medical grade’ so you certainly shouldn’t see red rust. It could be they’ve used a lower grade on these components as they are so small, otherwise you’d see this corrosion on the side edges too.

Another theory could be the rust isn’t from the stainless but a foreign material that is in the anodised surface. Has the phone been near anybody sanding mild steel in a manufacturing environment? I’ve seen in my line of work stainless steels showing rust when in fact it’s filings that have embedded in the surface from contamination.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So your comment before this one was a lie? You said pristine condition for all your old iPhones but then the following post you reveal all these not so pristine conditions for these very same phones. Please stop making claims for arguments sake. Annoying. People come here for advice through lived experiences. Not ones that apparently change, like shifting sands, just for the sake of engagement. Keep real and honest. No need to respond. Just keep it 100.

No, it wasn't a lie.

Just because you drop something, doesn't automatically mean it was damaged.

The 5 I dropped was my second replacement. I've had two replacements after that.

The HTC Touch Pro I dropped was sent off to someone in 2013. I got another one on eBay in 2021.

The replacement for the 6+ I dropped was turned in to T-Mobile in 2015 as a trade-in.

The 6s+ I dropped has no damage.

The 11 Pro Max was replaced with a new phone.

Thanks for your input, but I'm not a child and I don't need your admonishment or discipline on how to conduct myself.

jimlat

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
As someone here once explained, the iPhone (current models) is waterproof. The problem is that water vapor, such as what you'd get as steam from a shower, is fine enough (small enough) to slip past the water proof barrier.

In other words, the phone is water proof, not gas/steam proof.
iPhone 13 is not waterproof…from the Apple website…

”Rated IP68 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes) under IEC standard 60529”

Not the standards page, but a reference…https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Hey maybe cool your tone down a little? No need to be so rude here.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I’ve had a 12 pro max and now a 13 pro max. Use everyday in the shower and live on the New Jersey coast. I never had any problems like this.

Chinch07

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
I take the worlds longest showers and my 13 pro max is in the bathroom playing music/podcasts. My bathroom steams up a lot but I do make a point to wipe it off each time from the steam. I don't have any marks/rust on it at all.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Wash my phone regularly and sometimes take it in the shower. No rust on my 11Pro or 12Pro. Only thing was scratches and a couple Of chips on the metal on the 12Pro.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
View attachment 2002294 View attachment 2002295 I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I think this is a one off situation i got my 13 pro in October and have swimmed with it and there is no rust

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.