Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mymychickenpie

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2021
View attachment 2002294 View attachment 2002295 I recently made the switch to iPhone.

the switch hasn’t been what I expected in terms of build quality.

my phone is few months old, has never been dropped or been in the water but the stainless steel camera rings on this waterproof phone are already showing spots of rust.

the colour on the front of the stainless steel rails is also already faded.

I've raised my concerns in the Apple Store where Apple told me this is considered normal wear and no action will be taken.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering getting a (in my case siërra blue) iPhone 13 pro.
I’d raise this with Apple Care and then if they say the same, take it higher.
You can always email Tim cooks ‘personal’ email address about it to see if you can get anywhere.

Don’t stand for the BS line of normal wear and tear. My iPhone 11 Pro Max has been through all weathers and humidities and I’ve not experienced anything like this.

If you’re not happy, take it higher.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
I've has my Sierra Blue Pro since release day and have never had this problem

I am the same, day one and mine still looks good as new!

What’s your battery health ?

Battery Health is 100% Mine is also a day one phone!

99% of the time charged with MagSafe (Belkin 3 in 1 wireless charger). Some times its plugged in to the USB of the car for CarPlay!

Reactions: Ram65

Jonas Silver

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Far South
I am using a Pitaka case and a hybrid screen protector from Mous, it is minimal protection, this is why I have chosen Apple Care Plus.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Looking at the OP's pics very close and zoomed in on thats not from just normal water vapor or usage. Thats salt water. You can see white crystal like spots. Thats been in the ocean.
Still shouldn’t surgical grade steel survive it?

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Hey maybe cool your tone down a little? No need to be so rude here.
Not rude, just frank. But I guess these times of “fake news” and the like are treated as one’s own truth. Wow. integrity and facts are out, and feelings snd self expression are the new truth. Tone down the dishonesty and shilling. Now you’re in timeout. smh

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
No, it wasn't a lie.

Just because you drop something, doesn't automatically mean it was damaged.

The 5 I dropped was my second replacement. I've had two replacements after that.

The HTC Touch Pro I dropped was sent off to someone in 2013. I got another one on eBay in 2021.

The replacement for the 6+ I dropped was turned in to T-Mobile in 2015 as a trade-in.

The 6s+ I dropped has no damage.

The 11 Pro Max was replaced with a new phone.

Thanks for your input, but I'm not a child and I don't need your admonishment or discipline on how to conduct myself.
In an effort to maintain clear and accurate dialogue without the need to shift facts depending on the arguments YOU very much need admonishment. If you placed both your posts one after the other anyone with a brain could see the dissonance in what you were alleging. So quit acting like a child trying to impress his/her friends and keep you stories consistent. Don’t get offended b/c you were, at the least, incoherent. Post clear and consistent information especially in the same thread. Good day Sir.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
People using your phone in the bathroom: buy one of these!
Thanks for the advice!

02F193AA-5F5D-4278-8399-5AB7240CDE80.jpeg

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
No because steel is steel and steel rusts (stainless, means stain less, not no stain), especially in salt environments or in very humid bathrooms. Everybody who has any stainless steel in his bathroom knows that over time it starts to rust.
100% right.

2009 mac user

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
Interesting, I used to keep my iPhone se 2020 in the bathroom for music when I showered and never encountered any issues. I ended up buying an Amazon refurbished XS, much better phone, but no longer do this as I have less confidence on its degree of water resistance.

2009 mac user

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
Interesting, I used to keep my iPhone se 2020 in the bathroom for music when I showered and never encountered any issues. I ended up buying an Amazon refurbished XS, much better phone, but no longer do this as I have less confidence on its degree of water resistance.
but then, it is aluminum, so thats probably why.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
No because steel is steel and steel rusts (stainless, means stain less, not no stain), especially in salt environments or in very humid bathrooms. Everybody who has any stainless steel in his bathroom knows that over time it starts to rust.
I always thought that was due to lower quality of steel or lack of cleaning.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yes and no. Stainless steel is treated to prevent rust. In this case, I stated earlier in the thread that very likely some corrosive agent or aggressive salt (by salt I don't mean NaCl) must have fallen on the steel for oxidation to take hold this quickly.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
The only reasonable explanation given that I don't see any other user complaining on the same issue.
Exactly. My silver/blank 11 Pro has been through a lot, so have been my 11 Pro before this one, my iPhone X, multiple SE‘s (especially my last one), my 5s and my 4 which also had an ss frame and was handed down to my mother for some years, as well as some iPods. All my iPhones have been through more than an iPhone should go through but none have ever rusted. Surely the aluminium ones did corrode once the
aluminium was severely scratched and blank and got in contact with air, but they never suffered from discolouration or anything similar. Whatever OP did with his phone, it’s his fault and has nothing to do with normal exposure to water.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Seems like aluminium is the premium metal after all.
You’ll find they are both premium metals. There is this preconceived misconception on this forum that aluminium is cheap or a budget metal. In fact Apple use 7000 series aluminium which is about as premium as it gets in terms of cost and performance. Both the stainless and alloys Apple use are premium, that’s the whole point.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I always thought that was due to lower quality of steel or lack of cleaning.
Nothing to do with low quality, some of the highest quality steels (for example for kitchen knives) are reactive AF. It's just about the composition and there's always a tradeoff between strength of the steel and the reactiveness of it, ie softer steel is more stainless but also scratches and dents a lot easier.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You’ll find they are both premium metals. There is this preconceived misconception on this forum that aluminium is cheap or a budget metal. In fact Apple use 7000 series aluminium which is about as premium as it gets in terms of cost and performance. Both the stainless and alloys Apple use are premium, that’s the whole point.
Aluminum is a cheaper metal than steel overall. The finishes tho are a different story.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Aluminum is a cheaper metal than steel overall. The finishes tho are a different story.

Not necessarily it’s not. Metal prices are fluctuating so much and have been for a few years now and aluminium 6000 and 7000 has often cost more per kilo than stainless. On average they are about the same price at the premium end. In regards to the iPhone the stainless is more premium because it takes longer to process, so the cost for this is passed onto us. It’s also marketed as more premium too which then gives consumers like you the perception it’s more premium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.