Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
When using the stock camera app or scanning in the stock notes app my 14 Pro does fine (goes into macro mode when getting close to the scan or QR code), but in most 3rd party apps that scan QR codes it is blurry when I get close. Is this because they are using the wrong lens for the new phones? Will they be able to fix this with an update to their apps?

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
It’s a known (and very annoying) issue. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe devs don’t have access to any kind of macro switching camera API, and their apps weren't ready for the much different focal length on the new iPhones. It will get better, but devs will have to update their apps.

Reactions: Mr.C

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Devs have control over which lens they use. Ideally they should use the ultra wide as it can focus much closer.

I made a report to the Nutracheck developer suggesting they use the ultra wide lens ans they replied saying the latest update resolves the issue which it does, no issues scanning barcodes now.

Reactions: samwa3 and Mr.C

csimmons01

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2022
I have it happening in Chase Mobile, Target, WhatsApp, Amazon, SnapChat and every other 3rd party app I have tried. I thought it was my camera and took it to the Apple store, they had me erase all settings, and that did nothing (other than I now have to reload my wallet and click a LOT of app security pop-ups). Next thing they wanted to try was setting up as a new iPhone, but I did not want to take the time to download all my apps and setup everything again for something they did NOT think was going to fix the problem.

I also have a problem when I am videoing and it switches lenses - the colors are very different (greens get much darker for example) and the focus changes as well as a step change in the zoom. The videos are also out of focus on the telephoto lens when it switches to that. The video quality ends up being much worse than my iPhone X due to these issues. Unfortunately by the time I figured this out I am just outside of my return window. Apple won't exchange the phone because they think there is nothing wrong with it.

I specifically bought the 14 Pro for the improved camera, and it is terrible. I wish I could get my iPhone X back, but unfortunately I traded it in. I never do that, but I end up with a drawer full of old phones, so this time I unfortunately took the trade in value. I'm hoping I can return it through my carrier under warranty, if not I think my only recourse is going to be to buy the phone out (forfeiting my trade-in), sell it, and buy a different phone. At this point I'll probably buy an Android (Samsung Galaxy), some of them have truly spectacular cameras (I have some friends that have them their videos are MUCH better than the ones from my iPhone 14 Pro).

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I don’t understand.
Why do you want to use the ultra wide camera in macro mode to view a QR code?
My 12 mini and 6s do just fine viewing QR codes and neither “intelligently” switch to a different camera to do so.

Torty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2013
Can’t confirm. I had to scan QR to set up the 14pm for online banking. For this I had to scan QR codes via the banking apps. Worked.
This also worked for WhatsApp.

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
This is indeed a problem. I still have third party programs that default to a custom camera view that uses wrong camera that cant focus near to read the QR-codes. Either the developers are lazy or apple has not fixed the issue.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
The app I use for the grocery store I shop at has the ability to scan a small bar code to get a coupon for various products. I cannot get my 14 Pro Max to focus on it. The picture remains blurry and the app cannot see it. I never had this problem on my old Samsung phone.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
The app I use for the grocery store I shop at has the ability to scan a small bar code to get a coupon for various products. I cannot get my 14 Pro Max to focus on it. The picture remains blurry and the app cannot see it. I never had this problem on my old Samsung phone.
What’s the app? Let us try and see if we have the same issue.
Then you’ll know if it’s an issue with your phone or an issue with the app.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I am finding the same, I use a few receipt scanning apps to get cash back, just cant fill up to the recommended sides on the guides.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Just took this. Denim jeans, 1” distance.
iPhone used ultra wide lens.
As to bar codes have not had issues with focus/reading of them.

Attachments

• A9BDA471-7C2D-4A0D-B340-3AB633F2E0BA.jpeg
    A9BDA471-7C2D-4A0D-B340-3AB633F2E0BA.jpeg
    827.1 KB · Views: 123

bold.text5478

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
Wanted to chime in that I am also having these problems. The Walgreens app won't scan a barcode, and the camera indeed switches to macro mode when I use it from about the same distance. This also prevents Saucey from scanning the barcodes on the back of my ID.

Attachments

• A3323C80-D3AB-404C-9AC4-E33BB5479392.jpeg
    A3323C80-D3AB-404C-9AC4-E33BB5479392.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 6FCBC556-50CF-4885-A687-E08A4F8B691C.png
    6FCBC556-50CF-4885-A687-E08A4F8B691C.png
    648.1 KB · Views: 229

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
It’s annoying, yes. The phones are being used as a point and shoot, but Apple is directing the camera towards a more knowledgeable group of picture takers.

It seems like Apple is being pulled in two different directions.

Reactions: jagolden

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I just tried to use the shopping app I was having problems with and it is still not working, in spite of an update a few days ago. I suspect that developers for this particular shopping app couldn’t care less about updating for one particular phone. I have been taking pictures of the sale tags on the shelves so that the cashier can give me the cheaper price.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Guys come on. It’s not a problem. The new camera (1x) has a minimum focus distance of 8 inches. Anything closer than that will either be blurry or switch to the macro mode. Once you learn the limitations of the camera you are using and working with, the better photographer you will become. It didn’t take me long to find the specifications on the 1x camera of the iPhone 14 pro max via web search. The iPhone 13 Pro would focus down to 5.9 inches, that’s what you are probably used to. The optical design is different on this new camera. This information has been discussed all over YouTube and the internet, it’s also mentioned in the technical readout of the Halide app. You may find it annoying, but that’s the way it is. The same scenario applies on a DSLR, you buy a new 85mm lens or whatever and the specs tell you how close that new lens will focus on your camera. You just have to read up on it and educate yourself before using the new camera. I have provided the information for you & now that you know, you can go out and photograph things knowing how close you can get. 8 INCHES (200mm) MINIMUM.
Here is an excellent read of the evaluation of the iPhone 14 Pro Series camera by DXO.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-14-pro-camera-test-results/

98BE750F-4EF6-4CDF-A873-135FEA88569D.jpeg

iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro camera specs compared:

3D9C2678-DE8E-4A74-9E24-5903D3313B50.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JM

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Guys come on. It’s not a problem. The new camera (1x) has a minimum focus distance of 8 inches. Anything closer than that will either be blurry or switch to the macro mode. Once you learn the limitations of the camera you are using and working with, the better photographer you will become. It didn’t take me long to find the specifications on the 1x camera of the iPhone 14 pro max via web search. The iPhone 13 Pro would focus down to 5.9 inches, that’s what you are probably used to. The optical design is different on this new camera. This information has been discussed all over YouTube and the internet, it’s also mentioned in the technical readout of the Halide app. You may find it annoying, but that’s the way it is. The same scenario applies on a DSLR, you buy a new 85mm lens or whatever and the specs tell you how close that new lens will focus on your camera. You just have to read up on it and educate yourself before using the new camera. I have provided the information for you & now that you know, you can go out and photograph things knowing how close you can get. 8 INCHES (200mm) MINIMUM.
Here is an excellent read of the evaluation of the iPhone 14 Pro Series camera by DXO.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-14-pro-camera-test-results/

View attachment 2127607

iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro camera specs compared:

View attachment 2127611
Right. It’s the apps that are the problem…

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
I'm having this issue with the National Lottery app, there is a QR code on the ticket to scan to check if it is a winner but it just never (or very rarely) manages to focus enough to be able to scan it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.