Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VRDaddy1

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2023
When I bought my wife her iPhone 14 Pro I had to scan in my ID for AT&T to complete the order. I was never able to get a clear, acceptable scan from my brand spanking new flagship iPhone 14 Pro. I had to fire up my 4.5 year old Note 9 and it immediately focused and scanned my ID. For a phone that is "just supposed to work" I am finding it is not quite true.

I am REALLY trying to love my new flagship iPhone 14 Pro and the switch from Android, but dang, It's lacking even some of the most basic functionality I have had on my Android phones for at LEAST the last 7 years.

For craps sake, I can't even get a visual notification that I have a text message on the always on screen or CarPlay on my supposed flagship 1100.00 phone. Very frustrating.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Noticed this very recently on the Waitrose (UK supermarket) app... They've just updated their app and it doesn't allow the camera to focus; so you've to hold the item a fair way off for it to read the barcode...

I've fed this back to Waitrose; be interesting to see if they come back with anything!

Reactions: d123

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Noticed this very recently on the Waitrose (UK supermarket) app... They've just updated their app and it doesn't allow the camera to focus; so you've to hold the item a fair way off for it to read the barcode...

I've fed this back to Waitrose; be interesting to see if they come back with anything!

Same problem with both the Sainsbury's and ASDA apps, it's pretty annoying.

Reactions: danb1979

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
This continues to be a problem for me. Likely another one that is never going to be fixed.

Reactions: d123

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
I use quite a few apps for receipt scanning for money off my phone bill, getting cash/voucher. I Use them one after the other scanning receipts each time so they all stack up. Some apps seem to have improved with the focusing so maybe it's just time. Most I find even if you don't match there edge guides and are further out it still works fine.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Well a year later and still no fix. This seems like a giant oversight. Most apps will still work for things I need to scan but it just feels weird holding the phone so far away when it should obviously just switch to the Macro lens like any other phone.

Somehow I don't think this is just up to the developers. If it was, at least some of the major apps I use would be working by now but literally none of them work still.

Reactions: d123 and usmaak

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Apple want you to use NFC they can't make money from QR or Barcodes
In a perfect world, but not the world we live in at the moment. I have to scan a QR code to pay at restaurants, and at Walmart, I have to scan a QR code to buy train tickets, etc, and so far, its been absolute stupidity they broke such a feature out of nowhere.

I can't even scan the barcode on the back of my state ID, and I need to be able to, to access my 24/7 gym.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone know if this is a problem with the 15s? I apologize if it’s already been covered here. I didn’t see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.