Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I bought a new MBP yesterday and I get a free iPod Touch by using the educational discount. It has been shipped today and I'll receive it tomorrow hopefully. Will it be pre loaded with iPhone OS 2.2.1? Will I have to pay $9.99 to upgrade it to OS 3 straight out of the box?

RAGING DEMON

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
I bought a new MBP yesterday and I get a free iPod Touch by using the educational discount. It has been shipped today and I'll receive it tomorrow hopefully. Will it be pre loaded with iPhone OS 2.2.1? Will I have to pay $9.99 to upgrade it to OS 3 straight out of the box?

3.0 preloaded........ sweet

TapOut

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Erie, PA
this is to that one guy that said clarify the "RUMOR" of paying for the update..

apple will always charge 10$ for a major update .. they did it for the 1x firmware so people with an ipod touch can get the mail and weather and caclulator app

they charged for the 2.0 software update

and they are charging for the 3.0 software update

and they will charge for the 4.0 software also... get used to it.. or get an iphone

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

Last year all the iPod touch's continued shipping with 1.1.4/1.1.5 until the new iPod touch's launched in September.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
this is to that one guy that said clarify the "RUMOR" of paying for the update..

apple will always charge 10$ for a major update .. they did it for the 1x firmware so people with an ipod touch can get the mail and weather and caclulator app

and they will charge for the 4.0 software also... get used to it.. or get an iphone

But why? Apple does get an extra few hundred dollars when you first purchase an iPhone because of the carrier subsidy, but the iPod touch also costs more than the iPhone's subsidized price. Apple no longer gets a cut of monthly fees like they did with the original iPhone, so what exactly is this ongoing stream of revenue that Apple gets from iPhone customers that they don't from iPod touch customers (who actually paid more for their device!) :confused:

ztepper

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009

probably have to pay for it, I did last year when I did the same thing as you. i bought around this time, and my iPod touch definitely was still first gen software.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

We already know this. The question is whether new iPod Touch purchased on or after the 17th will come preloaded with 3.0 or as a free upgrade. I asked this in the iPod Touch forum but people seem divided on this, with some saying we'll most definitely pay for the upgrade even for new iPod Touch bought on or after the 17th, some claiming it should come with 3.0 if purchased directly from Apple.com, and yet others saying they'll give a $10 discount so you can apply it towards the update.

furtherout

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Knoxville
But why? Apple does get an extra few hundred dollars when you first purchase an iPhone because of the carrier subsidy, but the iPod touch also costs more than the iPhone's subsidized price. Apple no longer gets a cut of monthly fees like they did with the original iPhone, so what exactly is this ongoing stream of revenue that Apple gets from iPhone customers that they don't from iPod touch customers (who actually paid more for their device!) :confused:

yea, but think about how much apple charges the company thats doing the subsidy. they make a much bigger profit on the iphone vs the touch. just go on a torrent site and download it. that'll save you a few dollars.... you big whiner!

feszty

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Power consumption increased with 3.0 Gold

I have been running the 3.0 on my 3G iPhone since the beginning, but since
I've put the latest (gold) release on it, the battery runs flat in no time.
Have any of you guys noticed it? It is quite bad as the phone wouldn't recognize my car charger anymore.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
yea, but think about how much apple charges the company thats doing the subsidy. they make a much bigger profit on the iphone vs the touch. just go on a torrent site and download it. that'll save you a few dollars.... you big whiner!

Not really whining. I was ok with the paid updates when the iPhone cost $599 and Apple was getting continual subscription revenue from iPhones. The iPod touch first gen was almost a novelty, very few people had them and they weren't really positioned as being on par with the iPhone. The iPod touch second gen however is a huge seller and makes Apple lots and lots of money. They seem to be holding on to a difference that no longer exists and I'm just pointing that out.

cablefun

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
well i think the update will be available tomorrow, a bit annoying they didn't make it live tonight...

furtherout

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Knoxville
I have been running the 3.0 on my 3G iPhone since the beginning, but since
I've put the latest (gold) release on it, the battery runs flat in no time.
Have any of you guys noticed it? It is quite bad as the phone wouldn't recognize my car charger anymore.

mine does this thing were it says its got a full charge... and it really doesnt. so the only way to get it to charge is to run the battery all the way down. then charge it all the way up again.

rastersize

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
How many MB is OS 3.0 actually? And how many MB is 2.2.1?

Never having owned an iphone (and broken my touch) I've never updated it to new software.
The 3.0 GM (Gold Master) build on the pirate bay is 230.05 MiB large. So probably something like that.

Not available here in sweden, it's 01:14. If were lucky it'll be available at 00:00 in the eastern most parts of the US. But probably not until at least 00:00 Californian time. 00:00 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) would mean 09:00 swedish time. Another 8 hours, minimum :/

furtherout

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Knoxville
Not really whining. I was ok with the paid updates when the iPhone cost $599 and Apple was getting continual subscription revenue from iPhones. The iPod touch first gen was almost a novelty, very few people had them and they weren't really positioned as being on par with the iPhone. The iPod touch second gen however is a huge seller and makes Apple lots and lots of money. They seem to be holding on to a difference that no longer exists and I'm just pointing that out.

apple prob makes 200+ for every iphone sold.
they make maybe 50+ for every touch sold.

they just want to squeeze everything they can outta you.

SirReel

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007

The way I understand it, and I probably am wrong, is that it isn't so much a subscription from the purchasers, but more of a way Apple chose to do the internal accounting. When a product is subscription based they post the loss / gain over a much longer period of time. Maybe it has something to do with the purchaser, for the majority, being locked into a long term contract. Anyway with those accounting practices, it is allowable for Apple to give away major software updates for free. Hmmm... typing this out, it's actually starting to make sense to me. Since the $ for the phone is spread across a long time in Apples books, this probably goes across os release time frames and so they are already part of the "subsribed accounting" (my term). With the Touch it's a one time shot, and just like the OS for your computer (Mac or PC) you gotta pay for the big upgrades. I'm not a Touch owner so not sure about this... Do they charge for the minor updates 2.1, 2.2, as well? If not then I think my logic holds, at least for me. :D

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
So will the version available for purchase from iTunes be any different from the GM seed leaked last week? I'm running that now with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.