iPhone 3GS dead strip - Not under warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bubba87, May 11, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Near the bottom of the screen a rectangle shaped area has become totally unresponsive. Are there any methods to fix it?

If not; the phone isn't under warranty, so what actually needs replacing. Is it the LCD screen?

2. macrumors 6502

why isnt it under warranty? did you buy it broken and fixed it up or you have water damage?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Water damage. I might just take it to an apple store and try my luck. The worst that can happen is they say no. Anyone got any tips? :D

4. macrumors 68010

they'll replace water damaged phone for a fee.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Umm, I'm not too sure about that. haha:D

back to my question; which part of the phone needs to be replaced? Is it the LCD screen which is the touch sensitive part or is there some other component?

6. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For 199 apple will replace your water damaged iPhone, as the other poster mentioned.

7. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, you have nothing to lose by asking. You might get lucky, but I doubt it.

If not, then you can replace it like maflynn & CocoPuffs said. However, you might want to wait and pick up a cheap phone and see what is announced at WWDC in a couple of weeks.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Sorry! I misread it as "free" ha:D

And I don't really want to go a few weeks without a phone. I'm going to give it to my sister when the new iPhone is released, do it's no biggy.

So am i right in thinking the screen is the touch sensitive component and therefore is the thing that needs replacing??

9. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

You just need the front which is called a digitizer not an LCD as this actually sits behind the glass panel. These are avalible online with the tools to do the job. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.

10. macrumors member

The piece you're referring to is the digitizer. That's the actual touch sensitive part. If you're really good with fixing small parts, you can replace it for $15:

eBay

When apple replaces the screen, they just put a whole new screen assembly in, which consists of the glass/digitizer as well as an lcd, the speaker, hope button, etc. That repair takes about 10 minutes, involves 2 screws, and is really easy. The whole assembly is more like $70-150:

Used from eBay

New from eBay

New from ifixit

Good luck!

11. macrumors newbie

to remove the digitizer you will need to do the following
    1- 2 screws at the bottom unscrew them
    2- window sucker the screen and gently pull the screen will come off from the bottom.
    3- carfully unclick 3 ribbons on the right marked 3,2,1 i think the last one will need a carful hand and it unclips.
    this will make the whole front come off
    now down the sides there are screws 3 each side unscrew and the screen will now pop off.

now the digitizer
    to get this off i use a hairdrier to soffen the glue and take it steady and it will come off

clean glue off and replace with sticky pads in your new screen and replace in reverse
    job done

12. thread starter macrumors member

I've replaced the screen before so it shouldnt be too much trouble. Thanks guys!

13. thread starter macrumors member

ignore this post