Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubba87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Near the bottom of the screen a rectangle shaped area has become totally unresponsive. Are there any methods to fix it?

If not; the phone isn't under warranty, so what actually needs replacing. Is it the LCD screen?

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
why isnt it under warranty? did you buy it broken and fixed it up or you have water damage?

bubba87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
why isnt it under warranty? did you buy it broken and fixed it up or you have water damage?

Water damage. I might just take it to an apple store and try my luck. The worst that can happen is they say no. Anyone got any tips? :D

bubba87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
they'll replace water damaged phone for a fee.

Umm, I'm not too sure about that. haha:D

back to my question; which part of the phone needs to be replaced? Is it the LCD screen which is the touch sensitive part or is there some other component?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Water damage. I might just take it to an apple store and try my luck. The worst that can happen is they say no. Anyone got any tips? :D

Agreed, you have nothing to lose by asking. You might get lucky, but I doubt it.

For 199 apple will replace your water damaged iPhone, as the other poster mentioned.

If not, then you can replace it like maflynn & CocoPuffs said. However, you might want to wait and pick up a cheap phone and see what is announced at WWDC in a couple of weeks.

bubba87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
For 199 apple will replace your water damaged iPhone, as the other poster mentioned.

Sorry! I misread it as "free" ha:D

And I don't really want to go a few weeks without a phone. I'm going to give it to my sister when the new iPhone is released, do it's no biggy.

So am i right in thinking the screen is the touch sensitive component and therefore is the thing that needs replacing??

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You just need the front which is called a digitizer not an LCD as this actually sits behind the glass panel. These are avalible online with the tools to do the job. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.

silencer88

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
The piece you're referring to is the digitizer. That's the actual touch sensitive part. If you're really good with fixing small parts, you can replace it for $15:

eBay

When apple replaces the screen, they just put a whole new screen assembly in, which consists of the glass/digitizer as well as an lcd, the speaker, hope button, etc. That repair takes about 10 minutes, involves 2 screws, and is really easy. The whole assembly is more like $70-150:

Used from eBay

New from eBay

New from ifixit

Good luck!

sausagedog

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
to remove the digitizer you will need to do the following
1- 2 screws at the bottom unscrew them
2- window sucker the screen and gently pull the screen will come off from the bottom.
3- carfully unclick 3 ribbons on the right marked 3,2,1 i think the last one will need a carful hand and it unclips.
this will make the whole front come off
now down the sides there are screws 3 each side unscrew and the screen will now pop off.

now the digitizer
to get this off i use a hairdrier to soffen the glue and take it steady and it will come off

clean glue off and replace with sticky pads in your new screen and replace in reverse
job done

bubba87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I've replaced the screen before so it shouldnt be too much trouble. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.