Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
because last year they had a loyal customer policy that if you had original iphone which was in 18month contract, you could upgrade to 3G without paying an upgrade fee

and this year they have scrapped it...

Yeeeeees because as has been explained a hundred times before, last time you upgraded or broke your contract to start a new 18 month contract because you had bought outright an unsubsidised 1st Gen iPhone.

Now, you are locked into a 18 month contract with O2 which includes a subsidised 3G iPhone

O2 have to recoup the money on the iPhone.

Therefore you cannot upgrade early, unless you "buy yourself out"…

Which is why some of us didn't upgrade back then and held on to our 1st Gen iPhones to be able to upgrade this year.
Simple.

davem7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
With regards to the 'updated' iPhone, what does everyone think? I don't know that I'd upgrade if I hadn't already gotten rid of my 3G.

Definitely worth the upgrade (for me at least). However if O2 are going to jerk us around then I won't be upgrading at all.

That being said, I'm fairly sure that in most cases, you can be upgrade eligible before the end of your contract is up. O2 would probably get the cost of the phone back well before the end of the term.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Well this is a bit of a 'lol'. All this talk from Apple about expanding the iPhone's userbase and citing sales figures, then this.

Do they really believe iPhone 3GS is going to have anything like the take-up of 3G? Part of the reason 3G's take-up was so big was because existing customers could get it for free. Seems totally daft to me.

If O2 repeated last year's trick, they could actually keep more customers on. This way, people may finish their contract, see the price of the 3GS and say bollocks to it (I know I will be, the contract costs a fortune with bugger all minutes and texts for the price, one of the few reasons for being on it was the upgrades).

Just seems to be a little out of line with all the other price drops on Macs and OS X. In the face of Palm Pre too, this isn't exactly a reason to choose iPhone over Pre.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I just remembered of something... When the iPhone was first introduced O2 had a stupid 250 MB fair use policy. We made such a big fuss on the forums and with O2 that they dropped it.

So.... Lets just nag them about the stupid bolt on tethering options and the upgrade options and we should get what we want.

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
Yeeeeees because as has been explained a hundred times before, last time you upgraded or broke your contract to start a new 18 month contract because you had bought outright an unsubsidised 1st Gen iPhone.

Now, you are locked into a 18 month contract with O2 which includes a subsidised 3G iPhone…

O2 have to recoup the money on the iPhone.

Therefore you cannot upgrade early, unless you "buy yourself out"…

Simple.

What are you doing here, flaunting your logic?;)

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
these are the details from the o2 site when i logged in:

My tariff: O2 35 on iPhone
Contract duration: 18 months
Contract renewal date: 11th January 2010

i assume the renewal date is when i am eligible to upgrade..
pants to that!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
From O2 Twitter:

"You will be able to upgrade to an iPhone 3GS when you're eligible for an upgrade"

I started my contract on July 11th when the 3g Iphone was releases. How do you find out when your eligible?

You can upgrade on December 11th (one month before your contract expires).

chrisblore

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Essex, UK
I really want the upgrade and have checked in the My O2 section of their website, and despite upgrading from my original iPhone to an iPhone 3G last year, it looks as though they haven't updated their details accordingly so they say my contract runs out on 24 June 2009. Hopefully they'll be fooled and let me upgrade :D

Might be worth having a look yourselves if you're worried...

FriDay85

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
UK
From O2 Twitter: 'MMS messages will come out of your normal allocation, with one MMS deducting four SMS from your allowance."

That's good, no extra cost for MMS, providing you are within your SMS allocation.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

O2 lets you upgrade your phone once you are in the last month of your contract.

It's in 'My O2' if you want proof.

Picture 1.png

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
From O2 Twitter: 'MMS messages will come out of your normal allocation, with one MMS deducting four SMS from your allowance."

That's good, no extra cost for MMS, providing you are within your SMS allocation.

Not really. Text allowance is fricken abysmal as it is (500 regardless of paying £35 or £55?), an extra allowance for MMS would have been standard. To not increase the text allowance AND take MMS out of it is a f*cking joke.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
I don't think Apple are going to be very impressed if this policy is applied. The 3GS sales are going to slump if they don't allow an early upgrade... How many brand new customers can they realistically lure to the new iphone???

They are basically locking all the early adopters and apple fans from getting the 3gs!!!

I mean, you'd have to be a really hardcore fanboy to start a second contract just for a digital compass and a better camera!!!

I really hope O2 sees some sense soon...

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I really want the upgrade and have checked in the My O2 section of their website, and despite upgrading from my original iPhone to an iPhone 3G last year, it looks as though they haven't updated their details accordingly so they say my contract runs out on 24 June 2009. Hopefully they'll be fooled and let me upgrade :D

Might be worth having a look yourselves if you're worried...

where are you actually looking once logged into "my o2"??

Im logged in but can only find address details and stuff

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I'm sure O2 will relent and all 3G owners an upgrade at a discounted rate. Unlike last year, many of the people who want an iPhone probably already have one now. If O2 want the new baby to sell, they're gonna need to offer some incentives to the people most likely to buy it... e.g. Their existing customers!

euanmackie

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
i cant understand the $99 old iphone in the usa but a £349 cost in the uk! what on earth?!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wow, if that cost is on the £35 tariff too this will be the failure to end all failures.

And £15 a month for tethering?

That's literally insane.

Phazer

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
The thing O2 will probably start to see, is less people will take up this iPhone as more people are all locked into contracts from around July last year.

iPhones are common as muck, and if people cannot upgrade, they won't buy out, they'll wait until their contract is done, and assess the market then, with those dates being around 6months from now, who knows what's going to be on the market.

O2 need to start making a 12month contract for the iPhone, rather than this 18month and 24month ********, or people will actually be so locked into contracts next year people will just miss the release all together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.