Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Apple did say twice the cpu of previous iPhone 4s. So, it will destroy the current Galaxy s3 for sure.
Just don't play that numbers game with Samsung. Dumbing down a system to a few numbers is not the way to go. Give it another month and someone, somewhere will build a smartphone with a cpu far more powerful than the A6.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Oh look, I can handpick benchmarks, too.

The Galaxy S3 CPU is much faster than the iPhone 4S's. However, its GPU is roughly the same.

FWIW, the iPhone 4S now gets over 100,000 with iOS 6 due to improvements in Safari. So the iPhone 5 CPU (on this particular test) should be in the realm of the international Galaxy S3 (and well ahead of the US version). And yes the GPU in the iPhone 5 should blow away anything else as nothing was anywhere near twice as fast as the A5 in graphics.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Piqued*

4 is capablof 3-5mbps
4S 5-10mbps

Thats more than many have hardwired to their homes, I'm not sure what you're use case is, but its definitely not the norm.

Maybe on some GSM carrier with Faux-G. Certainly not on Verizon 3G where 1mbps is the norm around here on a good day with down to 300 not unheard of and 2mbps is the max your going to get.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
FWIW, the iPhone 4S now gets over 100,000 with iOS 6 due to improvements in Safari. So the iPhone 5 CPU (on this particular test) should be in the realm of the international Galaxy S3 (and well ahead of the US version). And yes the GPU in the iPhone 5 should blow away anything else as nothing was anywhere near twice as fast as the A5 in graphics.

I've gotten over 170000 on my galaxy nexus. In cpu benchmarks rather than browser benchmarks the snapdragon s4 completely wipes the floor with cortex a9.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Just don't play that numbers game with Samsung. Dumbing down a system to a few numbers is not the way to go. Give it another month and someone, somewhere will build a smartphone with a cpu far more powerful than the A6.

But at what cost. Obviously we are going to have to wait until some real world reviews come in but from the looks of things Apple has made a faster phone with better battery even with an juice sucking LTE chipped attached. Building a faster CPU isn't difficult, it's keeping power use low while making a fast chip is the tricky part.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Oh look, I can handpick benchmarks, too.

The Galaxy S3 CPU is much faster than the iPhone 4S's. However, its GPU is roughly the same.

Browsermark is a web browser based benchmark and results can change with software update.

Do it using an iPhone 4S running iOS 6. You won't have the same results.

From iOS 5 to iOS 6, it went from 8X,XXX to this:

http://twicsy.com/i/ggU9Jb

And again, all that with a simple software update on a 800mhz dualcore phone vs a 1.4Ghz quadcore phone.

The iPhone 5 will destroy this score. Believe me.

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
even after reading books like computer architecture: a quantitative approach, I am still finding their tutorials and reviews fun to read

AnandTech is tech journalism at its finest. Hats off to them!

2x faster with 4G and longer battery life... Hats off to Apple for that.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I've gotten over 170000 on my galaxy nexus. In cpu benchmarks rather than browser benchmarks the snapdragon s4 completely wipes the floor with cortex a9.

I don't know what to tell you, Anandtech says the Galaxy Nexus (probably running Android 4.0) gets around 90,000. It seems unlikely the Galaxy Nexus would get the same score as the international Galaxy S3. You must be running a different test or something? Or is there a different version of the Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have the 1.2 ghz ARM A9 (and relatively underpowered GPU).

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011

A5X is twice as fast as A5 in graphics :)

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I wonder how this chip is going to compare to the A15. Surely Apple saw significant benefits with going with a fully custom chip, rather than going with the A15, whether these benefits are merely in terms of power consumption remains to be seen.

It will probably be better. Note that power is completely related to power consumption. In fact, the only thing holding back process power in mobile phones (as well as desktops/servers) is power consumption. In mobile this is true directly because they run off batteries, so you have limited power. In servers this is essential because electricity is one of your largest costs. In desktops, the heat being generated has reached a point where CPUs cannot really function (this was the reason Intel had to reduce clock speeds and end their Pentium line).

Additionally, if what the article says about the A15 actually being developed for servers initially, then it is very likely that the Apple variant will be better for cellphones.

----------

Yeah i saw that part of the article, but i wasn't really very clear on it.

So when/if Apple moves all iOS devices to custom chips, they'll only need to pay the "General design" licence? Or will they still have to pay because they are using ARMs instruction set?

Apple pays for both, since they are still using the A5 (and variants) in other products. I don't believe it is a per device license either, so I expect Apple will continue to pay for both even after they are exclusively using their own designs simply so they have the option of switching to the ARM design.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
"Prioritizing power and efficiency" over what, good looks? :confused:

Would you have preferred priority of exterior appearance over internal substance? This thread being about a processor, can you explain how and why a chip package should look any different?

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
When you say S3 you have to be more specific. In the US we only got a dual core CPU because the quad used across the pond doesn't play nice with LTE chips. Those overseas have a completely different chip in their S3's.

This does look to be a potential game changer. Biggest downside of LTE has been battery life. If Apple has managed to design a chip that increases performance double and still dramatically reduces power consumption then that is what I would call a game changer. They've peaked my interest.

That said, I really don't use the CPU that much on my phone. It seems the data pipe is the congestion point, not processing power. LTE certainly has the potential to change that, if I ever get it.

You're right. 2 CPUs that I'm aware of. The Qualcomm and Nvidia chips. Nvidia being the inter nation model. I have both phones as we test these devices at work. I carry these around as well as iPhones. The S3's are not great on battery life. I'm interested to see how the iPhone 5 fairs.

----------

Yup. It's a back and forth thing. Truth is, as soon as you buy something, it's obsolete. It's the game.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

You're right. I'm far more interested in what this will allow for *iPhone* apps and games and things than a mostly meaningless comparison to what Samsung will be shipping. It's just interesting from a techhy perspective which chip is theoretically faster or whatever. But far less important than what third party iOS devs will be able to do with a huge amount of additional performance and double the RAM.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I don't know what to tell you, Anandtech says the Galaxy Nexus (probably running Android 4.0) gets around 90,000. It seems unlikely the Galaxy Nexus would get the same score as the international Galaxy S3. You must be running a different test or something? Or is there a different version of the Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have the 1.2 ghz ARM A9 (and relatively underpowered GPU).

The GPU in the galaxy nexus isn't underpowered. Its not as fast as the one in the exynos but its still fast and does very well in overall performance. Software updates for the nexus have increased its browser performancs significantly.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you look back to the way computers were designed and build in the 1960s and 1970s, back then ALL companies made there one CPUs and each had it's own operating system. Every company had total control over their line of computers.

Apple did not invent this. It is just the only way it was done. Apple one of the few "vertical" computer companies who make everything. I think IBM was first.

IBM started in the late 1880's (yes in the 19th century) with mechanical computers then moved into vacuum tubes in the mid 20th century but always they controlled the entire "experience", sales, repair, training and so on.

I hope more companies get back to this idea.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You're right. I'm far more interested in what this will allow for *iPhone* apps and games and things than a mostly meaningless comparison to what Samsung will be shipping. It's just interesting from a techhy perspective which chip is theoretically faster or whatever. But far less important than what third party iOS devs will be able to do with a huge amount of additional performance and double the RAM.

Exactly, looking at real world use and real bottle necks and adapt after that is a much better approach than premature optimization for the sake of bullet point lists in marketing material.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The GPU in the galaxy nexus isn't underpowered. Its not as fast as the one in the exynos but its still fast and does very well in overall performance. Software updates for the nexus have increased its browser performancs significantly.

It is. It has a PowerVR SGX540 GPU which is not in the same class as the SGX543MP2 in the iPhone 4S. Anandtech called it "dated" as it was used in phones from 2010- the old Galaxy S had it in a lower clocked version.

This is one of those times when you wonder why people jump all over Apple for somehow using "old hardware" when the marquee "SuperGeek Google Experience" phone used a somewhat old and underpowered GPU (compared to what was available at the end of 2011- I should have said this before as adjectives like "underpowered" are meaningless without an explanation). If you don't care about graphically intense games or certain kinds apps of course it might not matter.

Last edited:

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
So where does that leave the people who said they would only buy the iPhone 5 if it was A15 based?

Ha.Ha..We will have to have Anand lecture them on that and see if they turn around :)

Anand and his team rock big time! Compared to the zillions of parasite link bloggers, they do original work.

Last edited:

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
This has all be highly technical, at least for me, and very interesting to read...;)

But, when we're scoring a Benchmark of any kind 90,000-160,000 whatever... WTH is that? Really, do we need to inflate our ego's by comparing our BENCHMARKS are "THIS BIG..."?

The point is, these phones are getting to be so fast and powerful, it's like having a laptop in your pocket...

Coachingguy

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Where does leave ARM by the way? Do Apple still need to pay them licence fees if they're using a totally custom chip?

Word around is that an ARM architecture license (allowing a company to do their own custom version) is way way more expensive than a license to just use one of their standard cores. But rumor is that Apple has been licensing all of the above since long ago.

If this hypothesis is correct, an interesting question is whether Apple has just turned up some frequencies and cache sizes, or whether they doing something fancier, such as out-of-order multiple instruction issue and the like. With control of LLVM technology, they may have the capability to do some targeted higher accuracy branch prediction as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.