Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Hello everyone

I bought an iPhone 5 around 3 years ago. But around 1 year ago I had a defect battery and power button, my phone was in the program for defect units so I got a switch to a refurbished device. Now since 2 weeks my iPhone is showing the same symptoms that it had before (shutting down at 20%, quickly draining) so I contacted Apple and asked what the possibilities were. Now comes my disappointment.. The guy told me "yeah we can switch your battery for 79€ because it is out of warranty. My question is this normal? I got a switch because the device was defect and now the exact same problems are here again.

Thanks in advance

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
It's a refurbished unit, not the same phone you originally had? I would definitely want it repaired if it was my phone. I just had them replace the battery in my iPhone 5 a couple months ago. I've had it for a little over three years now. I went from having pretty good battery life to horrible battery life. I'm in the US though, so in not sure if that makes a difference.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's a refurbished unit, not the same phone you originally had? I would definitely want it repaired if it was my phone. I just had them replace the battery in my iPhone 5 a couple months ago. I've had it for a little over three years now. I went from having pretty good battery life to horrible battery life. I'm in the US though, so in not sure if that makes a difference.
Was yours part of the recall and that's why the battery was replaced even that many years down the line?

merc-tt

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2015
Change it yourself. It's easy, just buy a kit on Amazon. I bought the ScandiTech kit for $25. It's as easy as unscrewing two screws, popping the screen up with a suction cup, unscrewing a the connector from the old battery to the phone, taking out the old battery and putting in the new one and then reverse the steps. Super simple and takes about 15 minutes. My iPhone 5 works like new now.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
battery changing is easy, but you can damage the screen in the process because you tend to lift the screen up and then when putting it back, it works, but there are ripples/dimples/soft spots when you press a little harder on certain areas of the screen. It's like the screen ripples b/c it's not perfectly adhered anymore or something. I'd just get apple to do it.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Within the past few weeks I upgraded to an iPhone 6s Plus from an iPhone 5. I couldn't remember when I had purchased my iPhone 5 or if it was still within warranty or covered under the AppleCare I had for it. I checked the iPhone 5 battery replacement site, put in my serial, and it said my phone was eligible and gave me links to make an appointment with an Apple genius to get it replaced. I made an appointment and gave them my serial number for an appointment a week later. I spent an hour or so getting it ready by backing it up and erasing it. Spent another hour going down to the Apple Store to drop it off. Get down there and within one minute of walking through the door they tell me my phone is out of warranty and I will need to pay $80 for the battery to be replaced. This is pretty bait and switch like that their website incorrectly tells me my phone is eligible, they had my appointment for a week and don't notify me, and they wait until I get down there to tell me I need to pay $80. I originally got AppleCare for the phone and never had used it, so I'm not going to drop another $80 for an old phone that I plan on using as an iPod. I ended up buying a battery case for it instead for under $30. This just left a bad taste in my mouth considering how much money I have spent on Apple products and AppleCare over the years, I wasted 2+ hours getting it ready and taking it down there, and all the stories I've heard about how great their customer service is. If the Apple Genius can pull it up within a minute to tell me my phone is out of warranty, then the damn battery replacement webpage should be able to as well.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Within the past few weeks I upgraded to an iPhone 6s Plus from an iPhone 5. I couldn't remember when I had purchased my iPhone 5 or if it was still within warranty or covered under the AppleCare I had for it. I checked the iPhone 5 battery replacement site, put in my serial, and it said my phone was eligible and gave me links to make an appointment with an Apple genius to get it replaced. I made an appointment and gave them my serial number for an appointment a week later. I spent an hour or so getting it ready by backing it up and erasing it. Spent another hour going down to the Apple Store to drop it off. Get down there and within one minute of walking through the door they tell me my phone is out of warranty and I will need to pay $80 for the battery to be replaced. This is pretty bait and switch like that their website incorrectly tells me my phone is eligible, they had my appointment for a week and don't notify me, and they wait until I get down there to tell me I need to pay $80. I originally got AppleCare for the phone and never had used it, so I'm not going to drop another $80 for an old phone that I plan on using as an iPod. I ended up buying a battery case for it instead for under $30. This just left a bad taste in my mouth considering how much money I have spent on Apple products and AppleCare over the years and all the stories I've heard about how great their customer service is. If the Apple Genius can pull it up within a minute to tell me my phone is out of warranty, then the damn battery replacement webpage should be able to as well.
On what grounds was it out of warranty? My old store frequently denied service to phones covered by the program due to damage.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
On what grounds was it out of warranty? My old store frequently denied service to phones covered by the program due to damage.
They said I had purchased it in December of 2012, so it was less than a month over the 3 year mark.

I get that it's out of warranty, but if the Apple Genius can pull up that information in less than a minute, then the iPhone 5 battery replacement page should be able to give that information as well and not come up saying that it is eligible.

merc-tt

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2015
battery changing is easy, but you can damage the screen in the process because you tend to lift the screen up and then when putting it back, it works, but there are ripples/dimples/soft spots when you press a little harder on certain areas of the screen. It's like the screen ripples b/c it's not perfectly adhered anymore or something. I'd just get apple to do it.

I don't think that is correct. The screen is attached and gets pulled up with the glass and never separates. I did notice this ripple effect you speak about but realized I didn't have the battery cable completely tucked away and was putting pressure on the screen. Once I tucked the cable correctly, it worked fine.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Yeah it's a refurbished one. That I have for a year and 2 or 3 months now. Well live in Europe (Belgium) and Apple told me to pay 79€..

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Was yours part of the recall and that's why the battery was replaced even that many years down the line?

I don't think it was technically part of the recall when I looked it up originally. The Genius didn't bring that up, but it seemed to have not met their degradation standards even at 2.5 years old.

Yeah it's a refurbished one. That I have for a year and 2 or 3 months now. Well live in Europe (Belgium) and Apple told me to pay 79€..

I guess if it's older than a year it's technically outside the standard warranty. But it should have a new battery that would still be under their degradation standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.