Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Iphone5, returned, black anodising coming off edges!

Hi Guys, im a long time reader but this is my first post here. This issue resorted in me finally joining up to notify my issues today.

Lined up at 3:40 am at the apple store in Canberra Australia with my wife.
She wanted white 32gig, i wanted black.

at 8:10 am we finally had our phones in our hands.
Ended up going to work, and by 3pm and some hours of playing with it i noticed to my horror that on the bottom edges all the way around, on the sharp 45 degree milled edges, silver specs were showing!!

COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

The anodising was coming off on the fine edges!

called apple store, returned and got to swap it for a white unit because theres no anodising and its shiny milled alloy. Happy now, but so very disappointed with the black anodising.

Oh, but on my white model, just above the volume buttons is a shiny milled dint in the alloy, looks bad but cant be bothered to take this one back too.

Not impressed with apples quality here as i own a LOT of apple gear and i do believe this phone is a little rushed of quality checking is not up to scratch as much other models before.

Bare with me, im loading some pics to photo bucket to share.

My wifes white i 5 is fine, i just happened to get 2 bum units, not so great odds unfortunately.

Col

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hi Guys, im a long time reader but this is my first post here. This issue resorted in me finally joining up to notify my issues today.

Ended up going to work, and by 3pm and some hours of playing with it i noticed to my horror that on the bottom edges all the way around, on the sharp 45 degree milled edges, silver specs were showing!!

COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

called apple store, returned and got to swap it for a white unit because theres no anodising and its shiny milled alloy. Happy now, but so very disappointed with the black anodising.

Oh, but on my white model, just above the volume buttons is a shiny milled dint in the alloy, looks bad but cant be bothered to take this one back too.

Not impressed with apples quality here as i own a LOT opf apple gear and i do believe this phone is a little rushed or quality checking is not up to scratch as much as before.

Col

thanks. The way the scuffs actually look will determine whether I keep a black or return it.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Out of the box...

awtfjm

awsyqn

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Really disappointed in Apple now. Im paying over £500, the least they can do is get the paint job right. Ill keep it anyone but :(

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
2 iPhones just arrived at our house. 1 black. 1 white. Unboxed and plugged in to charge - nothing more…. The white one is fine. The black one has oily hand prints all over the back of it already.

Just found this post on the forums…

COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

Not impressed with apples quality here as i own a LOT opf apple gear and i do believe this phone is a little rushed or quality checking is not up to scratch as much as before.

Col

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I don't even see them in that photo.

first one is a little dot.

second one is right where the strip across the band is. pretty noticeable

----------

Or free cases again, lets hope that this is limited to a certain week of production or factory.

cases will still cause this after time when you take it off dirt and other stuff gets in the case and will scratch it pretty bad.

i dont see this being a case issue. they need to change the anodizing to something more strong like powder coat.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
first one is a little dot.

second one is right where the strip across the band is. pretty noticeable

----------

cases will still cause there after time when you take it off dirt and other stuff gets in the case and will scratch it pretty bad.

i dont see this being a case issue.

cases will probably make it worse since it will be right against the paint.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
I'm amazed some people will keep the phone if not 100% perfect.
Yes they will mark eventually but out of the box it should be pristine.

At £700 for the 64GB it better be perfect for me. I'll go with the white otherwise , i can see an influx of black being returned ....

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
2 iPhones just arrived at our house. 1 black. 1 white. Unboxed and plugged in to charge - nothing more…. The white one is fine. The black one has oily hand prints all over the back of it already.

Just found this post on the forums…

COULDNT BELIEVE IT!

Col

Bummer... Guess I'll be going for the white. In line right now! #61.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
Any molecular biologists, chemists, biochemists, or anyone with access to a SEM. Get a pic of a scuff and sell it to CNN or Wired. Trust me in that it will pay for your phone. ;)

Aug 5, 2012
Apple does it again!... We all knew there would be some build quality issue.

Exactly while I'll wait until all the first release bugs/problems are ironed out.

Well done Apple

ajfoggy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Here is mine. Clearly seen just above the relfection on the bezel.

It not too bad, but it really should not be there. It's the whole reason I buy apple because there are normally no issue with them....

photo-1_zps980c77ef.jpg

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple does it again!... We all knew there would be some build quality issue.

Exactly while I'll wait until all the first release bugs/problems are ironed out.

Well done Apple

imagine how much this will cost them if they recognize the mistake. Who knows how many have already been produced. since i did get applecare+, I will probably keep the black until the issue is solved and then in a few months get a new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.