Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Aug 5, 2012
imagine how much this will cost them if they recognize the mistake. Who knows how many have already been produced. since i did get applecare+, I will probably keep the black until the issue is solved and then in a few months get a new one

on another thread there's a link to a chap in Germany who's opened 30 phones in an apple store... All of them marked

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
imagine how much this will cost them if they recognize the mistake. Who knows how many have already been produced. since i did get applecare+, I will probably keep the black until the issue is solved and then in a few months get a new one

2 million preorders alone. And those that were sold in store. Its looking bad.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK

2 million sold, 1 million retuned because of chinese guy going light with spray can :(

luke707

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm amazed some people will keep the phone if not 100% perfect.
Yes they will mark eventually but out of the box it should be pristine.

At £700 for the 64GB it better be perfect for me. I'll go with the white otherwise , i can see an influx of black being returned ....

Totally agree. Like any product you buy, if it's marked then you should take it back straigth away. You wouldn't accept a brand new car with scratches on it would you?

bazofio

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
They will just keep it like it is until next years iPhone. If there was a massive return of the black iPhones with this problem maybe they will address quickly this issue, but most people who buy it are so "religious connected" to Apple that they prefer to keep it anyway. Sorry, but its to much money, in fact its the most expensive phone in my country and now even more because Apple increase the price in europe, and is intolerable this kind of issues with a top selling, top brand phone.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
I'm amazed some people will keep the phone if not 100% perfect.
Yes they will mark eventually but out of the box it should be pristine.

At £700 for the 64GB it better be perfect for me. I'll go with the white otherwise , i can see an influx of black being returned ....

People should've opened it at the store and checked the phone and make sure there are no physical damage on the phone. This is what I did when I got my 3GS, 4, 4s, and soon the 5.

Peligrozo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I definitely agree about checking your phone when you're in the store. The question is: If so many phones are marked when you receive them, how easy is it to cause those marks yourself even if you get one that isn't marked already?

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
People should've opened it at the store and checked the phone and make sure there are no physical damage on the phone. This is what I did when I got my 3GS, 4, 4s, and soon the 5.

Agree, mine was online so will check once arrives.

Once customers get home is store bought and find flaws there less likely to return it as they just want to keep it by then or have the "it's not too bad really" syndrome :(

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010

Well yeah? What else?

I could throw it round the house, then there will be a few marks on it..

jeeeees!

You can predict what people post on here all the time!

Pre launch - guesses of whats released
On launch day - disappointment because the phone doesn't fly, or have a bigger screen, or a smaller screen....
after - problems with the screen colours, marks on stuff...

There is seriously NOTHING wrong with mine at all! ITs perfect! Ahmen!

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Nothing to see? There have been numerous examples posted throughout the 20+ pages of this thread. Why must the Apple user base always deny any issue or problem at all costs? It's OK to be critical of something. Justifying, covering up, excusing, dismissing etc. does not help a company get better.

skidbubble, I'm going to be smug and say that you haven't read my previous posts in this thread: I critiqued Ives and Jobs need for mirror finishes on ALL their previous products...that will show displeasing wear easily.

BUT, having worked with polished metals for over 30 years, I cannot see in the previous photographs on this thread, any scruff marks. PERIOD.

However, the new photos from iFixiT clearly show wear on the anodized edge, BUT they have used a 2 Dollar coin to do so. Well, anondization is only skin deep, and YES under this purposely designed wear, it will wear away - white or black phone.

So be careful, don't scratch your phone with metal coins, keys etc. I suspect that places like the charge connector and more likely the earplug, the edges will wear first....as people miss the earplug a few times and stab with the metal pin of the earphone.

40 years ago when I paid $1000 for my black Nikon F2, it was considered a badge of honor to have the brass color show through the worn black anodized edges...show that you professionally used it .... and didn't just keep the camera on the shelf and admire it.

I will wait and see whether to go black or white (my white MBP) has scratched white anodized parts too,but doesn't bother me. I think the chamfered edge is very narrow ( 0.2 mm) so it may not look that bad.

I used a black sharpie on my old Nokia phones all the time to cover scratch marks.

ALSO, this is NOT a paint job. It is anodized black Aluminum. The small beveled edge is polished to a mirror finish...easy to do since AL can be polished to a mirror...i.e. AL mirrors. But it can only be polished a little bit, since the anodized process only goes a small distance into the AL metal.

Attachments

• FDXRCFBomMOLycY2.huge.jpeg
    FDXRCFBomMOLycY2.huge.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 00actR-482967584.jpg
    00actR-482967584.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Peligrozo

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Well yeah? What else?

I could throw it round the house, then there will be a few marks on it..

jeeeees!

You can predict what people post on here all the time!

Pre launch - guesses of whats released
On launch day - disappointment because the phone doesn't fly, or have a bigger screen, or a smaller screen....
after - problems with the screen colours, marks on stuff...

There is seriously NOTHING wrong with mine at all! ITs perfect! Ahmen!

Well, considering the reports of so many being damaged upon arrival, it's hardly far-fetched to think that these will go bad pretty quickly. Almost regretting ordering the black one now...

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Got a black, 4 hours later the anodising is coming off on the sharp edge, returned it and got a white one but it had factory dints in the bezel!

Quality is not as good anymore from apple in reguards to control:

IMG_0028_zps76971bdd.jpg

IMG_0029_zps73929058.jpg

IMG_1890_zps12c99dba.jpg

IMG_1891_zps21ed162b.jpg

IMG_1892_zps94c13c0e.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.