Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Are you kidding? these are much worse looking in real life, and for $899 i deserve to bitch about this! for that much money for a phone, i want it as it should be. If it WAS plastic i bet there wouldnt be imperfections like this, once again, this is a $900 phone, not a $500 or less, i think we all deserve quality, not anodising wearing off after 4 hours in a pocket.. i hope your joking..:rolleyes:

btw, their an awesome phone besides these imperfections. my iphone 4 was perfect in every way, and the included headphones with the 5 are amazing for what they are, very impressive!

I also want to add we bought 2 phones, so thats laying down just under $2000 for 2 phones. Yes, all my friends think we are nuts lol

If you paid $900 each, you ARE nuts!:eek:

Aug 5, 2012
How much do you think Samsung pays these people to come here and whip up hysteria over a made up issue?

So your saying that people are purposely denting their black units and then posting pictures here saying it was damaged out of the box?!

Do you have any proof?... No?... Then be quiet

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
How much do you think Samsung pays these people to come here and whip up hysteria over a made up issue?

Are you seriously that ignorant??. I bet i have more apple gear than you, are you trolling here or what?? burring your head in the sand maybe?
I love the phone to bits and have shown it off all day to friends and work mates, your comment is absolute true 'fanboy' rubbish i hears others mention about apple threads. Be reasonable here, i love all my apple products but after handing out $1800 for my iphone and my wifes i deserve more than anodising wearing in 4 hours. I hope your joking mate! :(

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Silver worn edges will give your phone character.

BUT, it is going to be a MAJOR problem for the OCD members in this forum.

The anodized surface will wear off on the edge just putting in and out of your pocket.

The aluminum is soft and the black finish is only micron thick, what did you expect!

Disagree. Having owned a number of black watches, if the coating is done right, it can be very resistant to wear/scratching. The above, 4 hours for the OP is a joke, and indicates extreme cost saving.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
another one:
5FB8691E-79B1-4947-99B2-8A855C220FE5-757-00000024D7DCA43B_zps1c65f82c.jpg

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I wonder how well sharpie will stick to bare metal.

It doesn't. :) I've tried before on other items.

This is really going to be a disaster for apple. This isn't some nitpicky cosmetic issue: it's pretty major and affects the overall look of the device. I imagine some sort of recall will happen where they'll swap the phone for one with a non-anodized bezel (like the one on the white iPhone).

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Disagree. Having owned a number of black watches, if the coating is done right, it can be very resistant to wear/scratching. The above, 4 hours for the OP is a joke, and indicates extreme cost saving.

if it was powder coated it would probably hold up really well, but that would be adding insulation to the aluminum, anodizing prevents adding extra weight.

mistax

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
Not true, he opened 8 phones and these had all scruffs but than he wasn't allowed to open more phones...
okay i stand corrected only 8. but the store was probably not very happy. who knows what could of happen if he kept opening them

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Silver worn edges will give your phone character.

BUT, it is going to be a MAJOR problem for the OCD members in this forum.

The anodized surface will wear off on the edge just putting in and out of your pocket.

The aluminum is soft and the black finish is only micron thick, what did you expect!

So we're calling poor quality "character" now?

Imagine if this was Samsung, you'd all be screaming "cheap quality!!!"

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
If you want to eat the panic with a spoon that's your perogative.
No panic here. Concern, over a product that retails at $650 or more.

I assume most people work hard for their money, and an iPhone upgrade is a big deal. Apple products historically have held their value well over time. I think there's some concern that this model may buck that trend. If you would accept a TV with a finish that rubbed off simply by taking it out of the box, I'd venture to guess that you're the exception here, not these folks.

Anyone who says "Oh it's just the first batch, it'll get better" may be in denial.

Will this affect buying decisions? I think so. I'm still on the fence, and I have about 90 minutes to make up my mind.

elitecol

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
If you want to eat the panic with a spoon that's your perogative.

Seriously, i want to see you with a black model and not have this issue! White is fine, but im honestly challenging you to purchase a black model and see how yours turns out. The angle of cut, the edge is sharp and from an engineering point of view is just too fine for anodizing to hold on, hence all the phones showing wear.

I did read these issues and thought they were hype until it happened to me, and had to return it for a white model.

Your comments are arrogant, how are you so certain with all this evidence and photo proof??
Your the one trying to stir up trouble.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Gonna keep mine for a week, see what happens. If the scuffing starts to show up, I'll return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.