Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm curious what the connector port will look like after use. A lot of people fiddle with connecting their phone in the dark at night.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Yup, he told that the customers who had preordered these phones where unhappy but took the phones anyway with apple care...
I assume he wasn't allowed to open the other ones because they want to sell the other phones sealed so that they can prove that the scratches are not from the employes.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Not true, he opened 8 phones and these had all scruffs but than he wasn't allowed to open more phones...

He personally didn't unpack 30 but I think he said that they unpacked 30 between his friends and him.

8 or 30 doesn't really matter, he couldn't get a mint one, which proves that there is a major screw up happening.

I hope it's a production issue not a design issue.

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Working more then 60+ hours a week for $2.00 an hour id probably do the same :apple:

You know that almost any device you use is being made under these circumstances... It's not just apple... (not trying to defend apple, they could make the first step)

----------

He personally didn't unpack 30 but I think he said that they unpacked 30 between his friends and him.

8 or 30 doesn't really matter, he couldn't get a mint one, which proves that there is a major screw up happening.

I hope it's a production issue not a design issue.

Sorry you were right, 30 phones indeed!
He tweeted that none of these were perfect! He is going to give an interview to the "bild" newspaper (a boulevard newspaper).

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
if it was powder coated it would probably hold up really well, but that would be adding insulation to the aluminum, anodizing prevents adding extra weight.

Agree, but this is where apples obsession with weight saving blows up in their face. Should have increased the weight and made it durable. I care very little for 5% more weight vrs it looking like crap after a month cause its all scratched up.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I've got my bumper, no worries here.

BJ

Where? Which one? Looks very much like the Apple 4 bumper, hard plasix center, soft outer? which combined with a power support films, has treated me good for 2 years now. The feel has really grown on me? Other colors?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
The tech sites need to get on this now. People need to know what they're getting.

Last edited:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Can I ask for more white iphone scuffs photos please?

I want to have a comparison

thx

Mine is white. I will be getting it later today when it arrives. We should sticky one of these threads for defects and such. I will examine mine, and post pics if i find something.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Apple cant market the way they do on design and quality and have things like this happen.

This is not OCD but acceptable observations and complaints.

I really hope my phone does not do this nor will I accept it.

You hoping your anodized iPhone will not show wear is denial:eek:

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
The 4 / 4S edge was superior.

iPhone 5 reminds me of an Android quality phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.