Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

vmetric

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
polish it?

Hi all,

I am waiting here in Portugal for the Iphone 5 to be available. I really wanted the black one but...
If it starts to show some scuff, is there a possibility to polish it so it becomes shining silver?

Thanks

V.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I have some very very high grit polishing compounds for metal/jewelry, might have to be proactive and put a nice shine on that chamfer.

Hopefully if this becomes a big issue they'll just go back to bare aluminium like on the iPhone 4/4s or White iPhone 5. Seems a strange design decision to anodise a sharp edge...

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
What are the chances of applecare taking care of problems like these? Or will you be required to pay the $50 deductible?

iSomebody

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Hi all,

I am waiting here in Portugal for the Iphone 5 to be available. I really wanted the black one but...
If it starts to show some scuff, is there a possibility to polish it so it becomes shining silver?

Thanks

V.

of course, just use a grinding machine

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
Looks to me like they were pushing them off the assembly line so fast, to prepare for demand, quality control took a back seat to fast food style production. If this affects the majority of black phones, and it looks like it will, this will cost apple BIG! Mine should be here before 3pm today, so ill anticipate this possibility. Good thing I bought my wife the white one :rolleyes:

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Really disappointed in Apple now. Im paying over £500, the least they can do is get the paint job right. Ill keep it anyone but :(

There will be no way to fix it. It is anodized. Anodizing is nice looking and very thin so lighter than any paint but it is very scratch prone especially on edges.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I absolutely love some of the comments here; "this is getting serious", "this is a nightmare", etc. So much drama!

just noticed on mine this but can find any others

You, there is nothing there but a blurry pic of a phone.
i think we will see alot of the black ones with marks near the bands where they join togetherm slight one on mine, but im not returning it for that, you need a microscope to see it lol :p
I see what you're saying but again, that is what the people do. Instead of enjoying the phone they pull out their 100x microscope and check for flaws.
I, on the other hand, welcome the returns to the refurb store!

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
What are the chances of applecare taking care of problems like these? Or will you be required to pay the $50 deductible?

Make up some other fault like 'my signal disappeares randomly during the day' . . .and get a replacement later in the year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In the OP's case, the white one, I would return that. In most of the other cases here I doubt these people would have noticed anything without really looking. The rest of you need to put your microscope down.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I absolutely love some of the comments here; "this is getting serious", "this is a nightmare", etc. So much drama!

You, there is nothing there but a blurry pic of a phone.

I see what you're saying but again, that is what the people do. Instead of enjoying the phone they pull out their 100x microscope and check for flaws. In the OP's case, the white one, I would return that. In most of the other cases here I doubt these people would have noticed anything without really looking.

I, on the other hand, welcome the returns to the refurb store!

You have not seen anything yet! Just give it till the end of the day and this place will be whipped into a SCUFFING FRENZY!:p:eek::p:eek::p:eek::apple:

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
But wedding rings aren't anodized black.

But if we play your game let's also remember wedding rings can be polished, and typically made from very durable, hard and scratch resistant metals.

My 9 month old wedding band still looks shiny, and the scratches aren't particularly visible.

I'm not sure you can even re-anodize an iPhone since it is a process done as an entire piece of metal, but hey go get a sharpie to cover up the scuffs ;)

Won't need a sharpie cause I'm not complaining about scuffs. I like to keep my stuff looking new but wear and tear happens.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Most of the images showing damage out of the box was due to assembly. These little chips were not from any wear. Wear will show as silver edges as the anodized surface is only microns thick. You should be able to wear through the coating on sharp edges rather quickly.

Like I said this will be a major problem for many of the iPhone 5 owners. Apple knowing this should have never done black anodized. Silver would show much less wear. I would have liked titanium in it's natural color so there is nothing to wear off.

Titanium, now that sounds more like a Jony Ive/Apple design.

I have to admit, although I wont be excited about my new phones appearance diminishing so quick, my focus will be more on its functionality.

I have only used an Apple Bumper since they were first introduced and my phone goes in my pocket with my keys and such. I cant worry to much about keeping it pristine for a whole year. Not something like a phone.

RjaylinS06

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
It's all about resale value for me, nevermind OCD

EXACTLY!!! These clowns dont realize that! When I get my iphones I keep them in damn near mint condition based off resale value alone!! Paid $200 for my 4S and made %$350 off it on ebay!

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
I can guarantee they used a dip coating which bonds to the top 1-2 microns of the metal, this process is normally used to slow corrosion and never used on surfaces subject to handling. An electrolytic or powder process is what was called for (metal charged negative, and the coating liquid or powder charged positive) and then baked for a hard surface finish. But the latter takes 30 mins to an hour process dependent. They choose the faster and cheaper process. Apple had grown so big, that they are starting to act like Dell and HP, it someday it may cause their fall in the consumer's eyes.

bazofio

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Its because this kind of comments that we will continue to see more problems like this in Apple. For these ones people are always overreacting...its nothing....enjoy your phone....need microscope to see those flaws.....but we are paying 750$ or more for something that should be top quality. Is hard work money and i expect nothing but flawless.
For you that dont care Apple says "Thanks, we can continue working like this that they will buy everything we launch".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.