Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I got mine day 1 - thought it was too cute to pass up.

I just put on my reading glasses and found a tiny nick on one side... but no worn edges. I'm way more careful with my phone than I am with the Nano, so I think all will be well!

Oh, I loved the idea soon as it was introduced. I just didn't have the money to get it. I was all crowing how cool an idea it was and if i didn't already have an ipod I'd so get it (but I had no justification).

My mom sends me an email that night that she got something small for me (she has become a huge igadget geek ever since getting her first iphone). I mean, I hadn't even talked to her at all since the introduction of the nano... and part of me was hoping but going, "nah... why would she do that? How would she even know I was totally going ape over that".

Not only did she get me the little nano, she even got me my first pic in color. Without me saying a word to her. That wasn't even the one that got scratched up (I returned it cause the battery drained so quickly I was hoping it was defective. THe new one is slightly better but I do think it's more of a design thing so I kept it...and that is the one that got scratched sadly).

I'm kinda sad they changed the design for bigger and longer. I like the square shape better (even if it is bigger, I liked my third gen nano as well) and I really liked the tiny size for my purposes (and the shuffle has way too little of storage space plus I like the display to be able to pick my songs out. The shuffle was more what I wanted in an ipod except I really want that display to be able to pick out songs rather than just rely on "shuffle" and 2GB is nowhere near enough space imho).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is seriously disappointing if true.
Yes, simply unacceptable if true. Apple positions itself as a premier builder of smartphones. The only reason this may occur with anodizing, is if Apple got cheap and specified a very thin layer.

Only time will reveal the truth. Apple will say anything to make a sale.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
Cases will make this worse. When I slapped a case on my 4, dirt and sand got in between and rubbed on the glass for years without me knowing all along thinking my phone would be mint to sell. To my surprise the back glass is chewed to crap.

I bet cases will scratch that backing into high heaven

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Because a $10 bumper is a tacky looking coverup.

It also kills the ergonomics.

Time will tell...

^This. If I have to put .5 inches of silicone around the thing, Apple mine as well gave me that in screen. I can't use a case on the 4.8 inch androids. Love the screen, but the things become massive. Guys who put a Otterbox defender on that thing must have hands like Hakeem Nicks.

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
I knew it! Even though I think the black is a cool looking phone I knew this would be an issue being an avid watch collector and knowing that no matter how durable the coating or how it's applied be it anodization, PVD, DLC, etc... they ALL wear away and show the base metal.

The black 5 will look good for a couple weeks and then this forum is going to be flooded with "my black is rubbing off" threads and I will be secure in knowing I made the right choice with the white. Put some wear on the raw aluminum of the white iPhone 5 and all you will see is more of the same, the same will happen with the black but instead of black it will be raw aluminum!

I think "scuffgate" is a perfectly appropriate term for the upcoming flurry of internet hate that will be swirling when all of us early adopters get our grubby hands on black phones.

txflyfish

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
How about a panda iPhone. Change the parts that scuffs keep the parts that you like. Like a panda

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Oh, I loved the idea soon as it was introduced. I just didn't have the money to get it. I was all crowing how cool an idea it was and if i didn't already have an ipod I'd so get it (but I had no justification).

My mom sends me an email that night that she got something small for me (she has become a huge igadget geek ever since getting her first iphone). I mean, I hadn't even talked to her at all since the introduction of the nano... and part of me was hoping but going, "nah... why would she do that? How would she even know I was totally going ape over that".

Not only did she get me the little nano, she even got me my first pic in color. Without me saying a word to her. That wasn't even the one that got scratched up (I returned it cause the battery drained so quickly I was hoping it was defective. THe new one is slightly better but I do think it's more of a design thing so I kept it...and that is the one that got scratched sadly).

I'm kinda sad they changed the design for bigger and longer. I like the square shape better (even if it is bigger, I liked my third gen nano as well) and I really liked the tiny size for my purposes (and the shuffle has way too little of storage space plus I like the display to be able to pick my songs out. The shuffle was more what I wanted in an ipod except I really want that display to be able to pick out songs rather than just rely on "shuffle" and 2GB is nowhere near enough space imho).

I feel the same way, sort of. I love the tiny square size, but I confess that the older I get, the harder it is to see, so the larger screen would serve me well there. The thing I think I would miss the most is the ability to clip the Nano to pretty much anything - I plug it into my Aux jack in my car and clip it to the cord itself and it stays put.

I also wish the new one had a bit more storage. So, I'm not sure if I'll be upgrading or not. I do have a feeling that the shuffle might become what the 6th gen Nano is now, with a touch screen. I don't think Apple is finished with the wearable devices. Maybe next year!

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
You know we're in for good times if there's a "gate" thread before the thing hits peoples hands.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
I would think that apple has run the 5 through a gamete of test one of which would be durability. I wouldn't see Ivy signing off on something that looks like crap 2 weeks after buying it. Maybe I am completely wrong but let's wait and see. We all have 30 days to return it and get what we want.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I would think that apple has run the 5 through a gamete of test one of which would be durability. I wouldn't see Ivy signing off on something that looks like crap 2 weeks after buying it. Maybe I am completely wrong but let's wait and see. We all have 30 days to return it and get what we want.

This is the same company that probably put the 4 through the gamete and then called us all retarded for holding the phone like a normal person would hold a phone.

Castle87

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Since my case doesn't arrive till the first week in october, i'm going to keep my phone in a ziplock bag.

mhof

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
Orange County
the pattern of wear and tear is exactly what makes an old pear of jeans look beautiful. scratches don't always have the same effect on devices like this, but wearing of anodization and development of a patina is a bit different. embrace it. and if you can't, get a case or get a white phone (where you have other issues of it developing some signs of wear and tear that, compared to the black, i think leave it looking worse).

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Am I the only one NOT worried about "Scuff-gate"?

Anodized aluminum wears at the corners/edges... I think once it's uniform around the body it'll actually look pretty cool.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
It really depends on how easily it is scuffed. If it can hold up as well as the previous iPhone's and iPod nano's that used anodized aluminum, then I am fine. If it scuffs from very light usage, we are obviously gonna have a problem

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I fully expect it to be right up there with, "OMFG my screen is yellow", and "WTFBBQ there is light bleed".

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Am I the only one who's tired of threads titled "Am I the only one...?"

And am I the only one tired of people starting entirely new threads for a topic that was just started a few lines below? What was wrong with the other thread about scuffs?

NO you are not the only one. For future reference, you will likely never be the only one. You don't need a new thread to show the world how different you are, because the odds are very slim that you are in fact different at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.