Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I think it looks cool regardless of whether or not it's uniform. Regardless I already bought my Otterbox defender and I drop my **** a lot so i'll probably be using the case.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
AppleCare+. If this is truly a manufacturing error you can swap it out for free if/when it happens, as many times as needed for 2 years. By then I'll have an iPhone 6 so big deal. :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Guys just wait for the phone to get launched before jumping the guns.

Apple brought it on themselves. Like a religion their are Apple evangelists that deny any problem, siding with Apple at all costs.

Then there was the vindictive immature side of Steve Jobs, that caused him to talk down to the very people that made him uber wealthy. Had he acted like a concerned adult & not blamed it on us, Apple would have been far better off.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Any details or reviews relating to this topic or the fact that isn't true can be enter here.

Quoted from Pocket-Lint's review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

"Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice."

I like how you started off saying how any facts about this or whether it's not true can go here - sounding so open minded - right after naming the thread "Scuff Gate." Does it really deserve its own "Gate" before having been verified outside of ONE review? I'm going to pretend I never even heard about this. People get so paranoid they're going to start TRYING to scuff it now!!!

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I agree that Apple has to have subjected the phone to the full gamut of torture tests available. But, as you know, you have 30 days after you get the phone to decide. If you see damage during that time, exchange it.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
From reading your posts I think you are tired of everything lol!

I am by no means an old timer here (I can only imagine what the members from 2000 think of the forums these days) but yes, I am tired of everything here. I blame the iPhone for bringing in bus loads of people who have no idea how to use a forum and be a good member.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I am by no means an old timer here (I can only imagine what the members from 2000 think of the forums these days) but yes, I am tired of everything here. I blame the iPhone for bringing in bus loads of people who have no idea how to use a forum and be a good member.

Well I'm sorry, I have been here for nearly two years so I know how it is. I'll admit that I've created my fair share of silly of pointless threads, but I think we all have.

It's just a discussion forum. It blows my mind people are so bothered by these multiple threads or silly threads...

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Well I'm sorry, I have been here for nearly two years so I know how it is. I'll admit that I've created my fair share of silly of pointless threads, but I think we all have.

It's just a discussion forum. It blows my mind people are so bothered by these multiple threads or silly threads...

Are you the only one whose mind is blown?

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
I really want to injure the person who had the audacity to call it Scuff Gate. Mark my words, there will be dozens of morons sitting there on launch day TRYING to scuff their brand new black ip5’s now just to see if it's true so they can decide whether to exchange over some BS that one reviewer thinks they may have noticed.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Then there was the vindictive immature side of Steve Jobs, that caused him to talk down to the very people that made him uber wealthy. Had he acted like a concerned adult & not blamed it on us, Apple would have been far better off.

I know... they barely survived these past two years since the antenna issue (which still hasn't affected real world use on my wife's 4, but I guess she is just a denier).
On a serious note, has apple ever confirmed that the "you're holding it wrong" email was real? Real as in sent from apple and from Jobs himself? It's almost like people think that quote was from a press release, but from my recollection it was just one guy here on macrumors that claimed Jobs said that in an email and it instantly took on a life of its own..

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Be prepared for some cases to scuff up the black paint. I thought Apple claimed that they've anodized the paint so that it is embedded into the aluminum. I guess not.

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Yes, simply unacceptable if true. Apple positions itself as a premier builder of smartphones. The only reason this may occur with anodizing, is if Apple got cheap and specified a very thin layer.

Only time will reveal the truth. Apple will say anything to make a sale.

I swear you spend your whole time on here saying negative stuff about Apple, if you genuinely dislike a company why waste your time posting in forums about them. The phone isnt out yet, only one review mentions a problem. It might be a coincidence. If not Apple will swap peoples phones.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Anodized aluminum wears at the corners/edges... I think once it's uniform around the body it'll actually look pretty cool.

I don't care much about it, but... since I started reading macrumors forums' I realized how many people care about how it looks and its "construction quality". They care about it so much that every time someone mentions another phone they go:

"oh go play with your plastic toy".

That phrase annoys me so much, that it *almost* makes me wish the "scuff-gate" is real and is pretty severe, just to see how people are going to try to rationalize it. Almost.

rivryan

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
easier to sell a 1 yr old white un-scuffed phone than a 3 month old scuffed black phone in the future if you ever needed to...like when the iphone 5S comes out in january :cool:

my 2 cents.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Just bought full body protection skin from body guards, i think itll do the job

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.