Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I am pretty sure that iPhone 5 will not look like that. Apple is not going back to iPhone 3 round corners.

What about iPad 2 rounded corners? iPod touch 4G rounded corners? Or MacBook Air rounded corners?

Rounded corners make the device so much nicer to hold - I think the iPhone 4 is actually a bit of an anomaly with its sharp, hard edges. I would be surprised if the iPhone line doesn't go back to a rounded-corner design at some point.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Certainly sounds plausible. Disappointing if it is true though, for all those waiting on the iPhone 5.

I agree (and I am waiting on an iPhone 5) -- but I am just calling it like I see it. I think we all would love an improved iPhone 4 (dubbed 4s) available on all carriers for cheap or free with a completely redesigned iPhone 5 (also available on all carriers). But it just does not seem like what Apple would do (apparently I get negatives on my original post for dashing people's hopes).

Every year the rumors get very outlandish and then folks cry how disappointed they are in Apple's announcement. Maybe Apple will blow our socks off this year. Maybe they will do something drastically different than before. Personally, I think 4G LTE in iPhone 5, is more likely than the existence of two new iPhone models -- and I am the first to admit that is wishful thinking.

I am one person who is definitely upgrading his iPhone 3GS this fall. So I really really want the iPhone 5 to have a ton of great features. A redesign with a bigger screen might be great, but so far, these cases are the only evidence. We have no parts floating around to back up those theories and certainly no FCC identifiers. All we have is speculation and artist renderings and an icon that seems to indicate the screen proportions.

I would love my theory regarding these cases being for the successor to the current iPod Touch (which I am dubbing the iPad Nano). I would gladly eat crow to have this slick looking iPhone with a touch-sensistive area on the home button, bigger screen, and thinner shape. While we're at it, I also hope for 1.5 days of battery life, 64GB of storage, 1GB of RAM, 4G LTE, and built-in payment processing with NFC. All these things would be fantastic, I'm just not getting my hopes up too much. The fact of the matter is that unless Apple really screws it up, I am definitely buying the iPhone 5.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
It could certainly still be a phone, but it just looks far too thin to be comfortable. There are already numerous complaints about the iPhone 4 being too thin for those with average to larger hands, and this would be even smaller (thinner).

Get a case then.

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
I for one hope they don't go back to the curve (and I don't think they will). Why... well when you lay the 3G or 3GS on a flat surface, like say a desk, and then you go to press the home button, the phone tips up like a flippin' rocking horse! Very annoying.

Worst reason ever!

Come off it, how often is that a problem??! And moreover, I've got my 3GS here and it barely moves no matter how hard I prod it!

The iPhone 4 to me actually feels thicker in the hand than the 3GS even though it's a good 5mm thinner, just because the hard edges jam into your palm...

I'm all up for a return to the curved back!

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
this-is-one-of-the-best-guess-from-macrumors-based-on-leaked-iphone-5-cases-from-china.jpg

I still think it will look like this. Screens a bit off in this pic as it looks a bit high up the glass.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

I still think it will look like this. Screens a bit off in this pic as it looks a bit high up the glass.

This might not be too far off if they use one of those new in-cell capacitive touchscreens. (eg. The sensor is incorporated directly into the LCD, rather than as a seperate layer on top.)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I agree (and I am waiting on an iPhone 5) -- but I am just calling it like I see it. I think we all would love an improved iPhone 4 (dubbed 4s) available on all carriers for cheap or free with a completely redesigned iPhone 5 (also available on all carriers). But it just does not seem like what Apple would do (apparently I get negatives on my original post for dashing people's hopes).

Don't worry, you will get a iPhone 4 for cheap or free on carriers. They have been doing this. Will it be redesigned to be a single SKU GSM/CDMA phone ? Will it be available on all carriers in the US (it already is here in Canada) ? Who knows, but there will definately be a cheap iPhone 4 available.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Am I the only one thinking the new "4S" model will really be the iPhone 5, this case leaked model will be an iPad Mini and that's it? No more iPod Touch.

I think this because of iPod going away in iOS 5 for the "Music" icon, it seems apple would be dropping the iPod touch name and replace it with the iPad Mini. Touch is now a given, not necessary to have in the name.

Line-up:
-----------
1) I phone 5 that looks identical to the 4 but with A5 chip and GSM/CDMA support in one device. Available on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint

2) iPad Mini with larger screen than the discontinued iPod Touch with A5 processor

3) iPad 3 (coming early next year with A6 processor?)

4) Current low end black iPhone 4 model will be sold as-is for $99 on contract at AT&T and Verizon only
Any thoughts?

Here is my speculation.
Apple will release the iPhone with two sizes but with the same resolution:
  • 3.5"
  • 4.3-4.5"

Eventually Apple will be forced to release 7" iPad.

----------

Don't get me wrong, that actually looks like a nice device, but you would look absolutely hideous holding that up to your face while talking.

You don't have to be "holding that up to your face while talking", if you afraid to look "absolutely hideous".

Instead, you can use speakerphone, bluetooth headset, or bluetooth interface in your car. The great thing that in this case your hands will be free to take notes on your device, lookup information or drive a car safely.

Samsung Note looks amazing, I would buy one in heartbeat. I have already been looking for a small tablet with SIM card/cell phone functionality: a couple of these already available.

Evetually Apple will be forced to "copy" Samsung. :)

Last edited:

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
How long have you been on Apple forums?

People only hate the 4" screen and love the 3.5" screen because Apple don't use a 4" screen and others do.

If Apple used a 4" screen and say Samsung used a 3.5" screen them The Samsung would be rubbish as the screen was too small.

I've been around long enough to see this happen again and again on these forums. Remember how hated and rubbished as a cheap fake the current iPhone 4 was before it was known to be the real thing from Apple.
If you hunt back far enough you will find pages of people on these forums slagging the early photo's of the iPhone4 off.
But that's conveniently forgotten about now.
The same will happen with whatever Apple brings out next.

Funny really :)

If you don't believe me, just wait a few months and read these forums and look for all the posters slagging the (then current) 4" iPhone off still saying how bad it is and they won't be buying it.

I don't care who likes what, and of course we all have things we like and don't like, and have our own preferences. It's the way people change their minds in an instant that makes me laugh :)
I agree with you 100%. It's Apple religion. Until the God Apple tells otherwise, all these stuff is unnecessary or even bad (e.g. drains battery etc): 4G, large screens, Super AMOLED technology, Swype input, heptic feedback, dual core processors, removable battery, etc.

Last edited:

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
So far I am concerned, it better be a larger screen...

Otherwise, I will definitely move onto other platforms..
(and I think, so will the large number of those who use iPhone because it suited them at one point in time and not because they follow blindly what the 1 Infinite Loop people tell them is cool)

And so it should be.. No need for all this

a) secrecy and
b) assholness of the Apple fandom.

In any case, this is not 2007 or 2008.. There is plenty of excellent choice elsewhere without all the attitude from The Company and those who worship it...

Happy times..

Alvin777

Suspended
Aug 31, 2003
It's Must be an iPhone 4G not an S or a 5

Hi. If it was an iPhone5, there'd be a date for the Keynote by now. Since they seem to be updated to LTE, it should be an iPhone 4G (the version + the kind of network make for a good name). If shouldn't be the 4S either because that unofficially the white iPhone 4. It's probably an open line world network compatible iPhone 4 too I feel because there seems to be silence on the Sprint and AT&T which might say that they're not tied to it anymore (if in Asia, like my iPhone 3G is openline then the rest of the world must have this cool advantage too). Thank you for your time.

Gbu.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
You don't have to be "holding that up to your face while talking", if you afraid to look "absolutely hideous".

Instead, you can use speakerphone, bluetooth headset, or bluetooth interface in your car. The great thing that in this case your hands will be free to take notes on your device, lookup information or drive a car safely.

Samsung Note looks amazing, I would buy one in heartbeat. I have already been looking for a small tablet with SIM card/cell phone functionality: a couple of these already available.

Evetually Apple will be forced to "copy" Samsung. :)

The idea here is that the speaker won't be loud enough, and I shouldn't have to use a Bluetooth headset. 5.3" is just too big for a phone IMO. Not harping on large screened phones, but don't need or want a phone that size.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
Not a fan much of tear drop design but I would like a 4" screen and thin as the top of that tear drop design maybe the end not sure if I want a paper thin phone that will break/bend unless its one then bendable screen/metal

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Another dodgy concept. They could have at least photo shopped a recent iOS on it! :rolleyes:

iphone-5-concept-design-by-handyflash-610_w500.jpg

Mark this post up or down, depending on what you think of the phone.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Another dodgy concept. They could have at least photo shopped a recent iOS on it! :rolleyes:

Mark this post up or down, depending on what you think of the phone.

That's tooo thin.

Apple's obsession with 'thin and more thin' is fine up to an extent where the device looks clumsy. In my opinion iPhone4's thickness appropriate. A bit less than that is also alright, but anything that's way too thinner as compared to the iPhone4 would be just clumsy and awkward.

This is a good example of that. And to be very honest, edge to edge screen type concepts are now bothering me. I don't seem to like them very much.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Hint to Blogger's taking pics:

Black on black receeds into nothingness.
A white iPhone against a bright colored case would show up much better.:)

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Twp people I know were in the market for a SmartPhone and asked around for advice. I of course, tried to steer them to the iPhone. The reason people want a smartphone is to see information on it. If all you want is to make calls, then by all means buy the smallest phone you can find. But to be able to see the all information a smartphone can deliver, larger is better. Guess what? They both went with Android because of the larger screen.
Sorry :apple:, I tried. :(

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Twp people I know were in the market for a SmartPhone and asked around for advice. I of course, tried to steer them to the iPhone. The reason people want a smartphone is to see information on it. If all you want is to make calls, then by all means buy the smallest phone you can find. But to be able to see the all information a smartphone can deliver, larger is better. Guess what? They both went with Android because of the larger screen.
Sorry :apple:, I tried. :(

Should have at least had them hold out until the iPhone 5 is announced and then let them decide. I've convinced everyone with an Android device I know to switch to an iPhone after failed attempts by them to do the same, and everyone I know is more than happy they switched. Android in it's current form is still beta IMO. iPhone 5 will be awesome!

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Should have at least had them hold out until the iPhone 5 is announced and then let them decide. I've convinced everyone with an Android device I know to switch to an iPhone after failed attempts by them to do the same, and everyone I know is more than happy they switched. Android in it's current form is still beta IMO. iPhone 5 will be awesome!

That was a couple months ago and what was true then is still true now:
No One knows WHEN the next iPhone is coming out or even IF one is coming so they couldn't hold out.:(

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
taper

Man, I hope this is the iPT. Just not feeling the taper. What's the point? I'm usually not too critical of the leaks, but the taper is just not doing it for me. The larger screen makes sense as an iPT anyway, at it will be used more for gaming. We'll see I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.