Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Welp, here it is in a nutshell: Apple products are bad. If they don't sell, it's because they're no good. If they do sell, it's because of 'the herd'. Make up arguments and 'evidence' so long as it drives home the first point. Repeat.

How much does Online Reputation Management pay these days? I hope none of you are doing this for free.

At no point in my post did I say Apple makes bad products. I own many Apple products; just not the iPhone.

People need to get over this idea that only non-Apple fans criticize Apple. If anything, Apple fans should be the first in line to point out out the shortcomings of their products. Anything less would be disingenuous.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
At no point in my post did I say Apple makes bad products. I own many Apple products; just not the iPhone.

People need to get over this idea that only non-Apple fans criticize Apple. If anything, Apple fans should be the first in line to point out out the shortcomings of their products. Anything less would be disingenuous.

No, you've just written that people largely buy Apple products 'because they will buy anything Apple puts out", because of a 'herd mentality', etc. Why don't you post that millions of people buy Apple products because they are good products? (It's because you're starting from the premise that they aren't.)

Now you're saying that people who like Apple products should be the first to be complaining about them. What kind of wretched brain would say "Well, I find this product to satisfy my needs at a reasonable price. Better go find something wrong with it so that onthecouchagain thinks I'm genuine"?

What's disingenuous is saying "If you don't complain about something you have no complaints with, then your motivations are questionable."

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No, you've just written that people largely buy Apple products 'because they will buy anything Apple puts out", because of a 'herd mentality', etc. Why don't you post that millions of people buy Apple products because they are good products? (It's because you're starting from the premise that they aren't.)

Now you're saying that people who like Apple products should be the first to be complaining about them. What kind of wretched brain would say "Well, I find this product to satisfy my needs at a reasonable price. Better go find something wrong with it so that onthecouchagain thinks I'm genuine"?

What's disingenuous is saying "If you don't complain about something you have no complaints with, then your motivations are questionable."

Straw mans galore.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm sorry, but iOS6 is the most non-major major release of a software I've ever seen on the iPhone. Many, many, many people will agree. It's hardly being denied at this point.

Why don't you chide zbarvian on his denial of reality instead of chiding me for merely correcting him with the truth about Jelly Bean being a minor release?

----------

My apologies, I neglected to word my post correctly. The fact remains that Apple is actually introducing the ability to attach photos and video (only) from within the mail app tomorrow with iOS6 stable, first touted in June as part of the 10 major features in iOS6, specifically called "Enhanced Mail".

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#mail

Sorry, but is this what you call innovation?

Calidude

Nothing you say can reverse the faceplant you just made. You've spent WEEKS crowing about how the iPhone 5 was going to be the iPhone that people start to move away from. Well yesterday we found that it's the opposite. More people stayed up late to pre-order the iPhone 5 than the previous best selling 4S. Please to not attempt to move the goalposts. If iPhone 5 sales increase then this would be congruent with people staying on the platform and others moving in.

As for your rant on iOS 6. Who cares? You were wrong with the iPhone 5 wrt sales and interest so I really see little reason to believe you've tapped into what the common person wants in a smartphone OS.

joeybuckets

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
ZANESVILLE,OHIO
calidude

nothing you say can reverse the faceplant you just made. You've spent weeks crowing about how the iphone 5 was going to be the iphone that people start to move away from. Well yesterday we found that it's the opposite. More people stayed up late to pre-order the iphone 5 than the previous best selling 4s. Please to not attempt to move the goalposts. If iphone 5 sales increase then this would be congruent with people staying on the platform and others moving in.

As for your rant on ios 6. Who cares? You were wrong with the iphone 5 wrt sales and interest so i really see little reason to believe you've tapped into what the common person wants in a smartphone os.

+1

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can play this game too. Is smoothening out animations and improving touch response and finger tracking (read: THE FOUNDATION OF TOUCH SCREEN TECHNOLOGY) innovation? Android ostensibly has soooo many features, and yet it can't even perform the most rudimental of tasks as well as the iPhone.

Well it can, it just takes 20 cores, a Silicon Graphics GPU, 30" screen and a car battery...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
calidude

nothing you say can reverse the faceplant you just made. You've spent weeks crowing about how the iphone 5 was going to be the iphone that people start to move away from. Well yesterday we found that it's the opposite. More people stayed up late to pre-order the iphone 5 than the previous best selling 4s. Please to not attempt to move the goalposts. If iphone 5 sales increase then this would be congruent with people staying on the platform and others moving in.

As for your rant on ios 6. Who cares? You were wrong with the iphone 5 wrt sales and interest so i really see little reason to believe you've tapped into what the common person wants in a smartphone os.

+ 2.000.000

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Straw mans galore.

If my description and interpretation of what you said (including the things I repeated from your posts verbatim) was so terrible you would just rebut it and restate your point.

You said this:
A) Apple fans should be the first in line to point out out the shortcomings of their products. Anything less would be disingenuous.

I have no idea how that is materially different from these:
B) People who like Apple products should be the first to be complaining about them
C) I find this product to satisfy my needs at a reasonable price. Better go find something wrong with it so that onthecouchagain thinks I'm genuine
D) If you don't complain about something you have no complaints with, then your motivations are questionable

An open question to the FUDsters on this forum: do you guys get paid even if your shilling is exposed as terrible nonsense? (Apologies to anyone who isn't a PR flak and just makes awful posts for some other reason.)

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
All smartphone sales increase yearly. I'm not sure the reason, growing population, people moving away from dumb phones, more techy population, etc etc. Regardless I had no doubt more people would buy the iPhone 5 then the 4S. I predict more people will buy the S4 then the S3..... Don't worry, its just common sense not psychic powers....

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
All smartphone sales increase yearly. I'm not sure the reason, growing population, people moving away from dumb phones, more techy population, etc etc. Regardless I had no doubt more people would buy the iPhone 5 then the 4S. I predict more people will buy the S4 then the S3..... Don't worry, its just common sense not psychic powers....

Yes but this thread isn't postulating that Apple will sell more iPhones. It's actually claiming that more iPhone users than ever are poised to leave.

So in essence we've got to subtract what could be considered standard market growth percentages as people move from feature phones to smartphones.

If the iPhone 5 sold say 20 % better then we'd probably have a defensible argument here but at this point the iPhone 5 is selling in significantly increased numbers and has an aggressive world wide launch.

At this point we all realize the obvious ( the smartphone market is larger) but what the initial pre-order tells us that the iPhone 5 will continue to be a factor in smartphone sales and this thread's premise is premature and may be flat out incorrect.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
At this point we all realize the obvious ( the smartphone market is larger) but what the initial pre-order tells us that the iPhone 5 will continue to be a factor in smartphone sales and this thread's premise is premature and may be flat out incorrect.

You're far too kind. It's nonsense at best, at worst it's 100% ******** Jotnar spew.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes but this thread isn't postulating that Apple will sell more iPhones. It's actually claiming that more iPhone users than ever are poised to leave.

So in essence we've got to subtract what could be considered standard market growth percentages as people move from feature phones to smartphones.

If the iPhone 5 sold say 20 % better then we'd probably have a defensible argument here but at this point the iPhone 5 is selling in significantly increased numbers and has an aggressive world wide launch.

I have no disagreements. Although extremely complicated and too easily forged it would be interesting to compare growth of the s2 to s3 to the 4s to 5. Even then its not a good comparison because there are too many other phones those people could have went too...

I'll most likely be picking up an iPhone 5, just not on launch. I have a couple buddies getting it so I plan on playing with theirs....

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If my description and interpretation of what you said (including the things I repeated from your posts verbatim) was so terrible you would just rebut it and restate your point.

You said this:
A) Apple fans should be the first in line to point out out the shortcomings of their products. Anything less would be disingenuous.

I have no idea how that is materially different from these:
B) People who like Apple products should be the first to be complaining about them
C) I find this product to satisfy my needs at a reasonable price. Better go find something wrong with it so that onthecouchagain thinks I'm genuine
D) If you don't complain about something you have no complaints with, then your motivations are questionable

What's there to discuss if your definition of an Apple fan is so black and white? You seem to think there's no such thing as being a fan of something and also being able to criticize said thing you're a fan of. By your definition, I guess I'm not an Apple fan despite owning multiple macs, ipods, an ipad, and an ex-4S owner. This is something people need to get over. Apple isn't perfect, and as a fan, it's perfectly okay to admit that.

B, C, and D are not A. Think about it. Good luck.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
People get bored with anything. Apple has a limited product line.

Steve Jobs skill at captivating people's imaginations & convincing them Apple was special, was his main contribution. There's a void now and no one to inflate Steve's Reality Distortion Field.

Add in the number of people that were put off by Apples bully tactics, and some shrinkage is bound to occur at some point. While Apple's momentum continues thus far, nothing lasts forever.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Calidude

Nothing you say can reverse the faceplant you just made. You've spent WEEKS crowing about how the iPhone 5 was going to be the iPhone that people start to move away from. Well yesterday we found that it's the opposite. More people stayed up late to pre-order the iPhone 5 than the previous best selling 4S. Please to not attempt to move the goalposts. If iPhone 5 sales increase then this would be congruent with people staying on the platform and others moving in.

As for your rant on iOS 6. Who cares? You were wrong with the iPhone 5 wrt sales and interest so I really see little reason to believe you've tapped into what the common person wants in a smartphone OS.
I've already said why sales would be the way they've been for the past few days. iPhone has yet to reach everybody in the US. This is still a graduated rollout and it will be next year as well. T-Mobile STILL doesn't even have the iPhone FFS.

Not to mention the fact that there's still millions of people who have yet to even own a smartphone getting their first iPhone. 2 million handsets preordered this year on its opening day, 2.5 million in 2013 without any doubt. It's really not a surprise, but you act as if its already over. :rolleyes:

This thread has ALWAYS been about existing iPhone users leaving the iPhone, but you continue to pretend that preorder records are any exact indication of how existing iPhone users will buy this year.

Last edited:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

The iphone only sold 2 million pre orders worldwide? This is considered a lot? I thought all the fanboys said it would sell 10 million the first day? I consider 2 million extremely low for a new iphone launch, considering China is now selling the iphone and the 4S sold 4 million in its opening weekend. Why the big fuss?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The iphone only sold 2 million pre orders worldwide? This is considered a lot? I thought all the fanboys said it would sell 10 million the first day? I consider 2 million extremely low for a new iphone launch, considering China is now selling the iphone. Why the big fuss?

2 million in the US....

It also doesn't matter what you consider, its the biggest iphone launch in history.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
2 million in the US....

It also doesn't matter what you consider, its the biggest iphone launch in history.

I dont really care if it is or not but i certainly wouldnt say its the biggest launch in history.
I dont think getting 2 million preorders is a big deal considering how many people have a iPhone. And your talking in the USA where the iPhone is the best seller by far than anyplace else.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I dont really care if it is or not but i certainly wouldnt say its the biggest launch in history.
I dont think getting 2 million preorders is a big deal considering how many people have a iPhone.

Two million IN THE USA.

From the NUMBERS its the biggest launch in history of an iPhone. Is that hard to grasp? :confused:

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
2 million in the US....

Says who? No carrier is releasing official numbers. And that was 2 million for the N America AND EUROPE. I guess Europe is now part of North America? I need to change my maps.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Two million IN THE USA.

From the NUMBERS its the biggest launch in history of an iPhone. Is that hard to grasp? :confused:

First of all, the USA is the iPhones biggest seller by far.

Second, millions of people have an iPhone and that number grows every year so i dont think 2 million is that big a deal. The new one will sell well just for the bigger screen and i said a few months ago. iOS 6 sure isnt a big selling point.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
So the rave reviews are in. This phone is incredible, and will sell like mad.

I've also seen a lot of tech blogs with very positive iPhone 5 reviews. I expect huge sales.

Every iPhone has out sold every combined iPhone from previous generations. I would bet this will do the same.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Consider this a "calling it now" thread that will be easy to find after September 21st when the iPhone 5/6 is released.

Here's the problems with the iPhone this year:

1. iOS6 is the most unimpressive version of iOS to date. As of today, over 48% of Macrumors users are disappointed with the featureset.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1383671/

2. The iPhone 5/6's screen has gone the half-assed route and has been lengthened and NOT widened. This screen will only help people who want to watch movies. It wil not help people who want to zoom less, type more easily, etc.

As you can see from this poll, over 69% of Macrumors users are disappointed with the longer-not-wider screen that has been floating about and will in all likelihood be what we see in September.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1377669/

3. The iPhone keeps largely the same design, with a two-toned back that many people here don't seem to like. While the improvements such as the metal back, headphone jack on the bottom, and improved speakers are welcome, it will mostly be seen as a thinner iPhone 4 with an odd-looking screen and an odd-looking backplate.

My predictions are as follows and will become fully realized by the end of Q1 2013:

1. People here on Macrumors will make MANY threads about how they're done with the iPhone. When all of Apple's cards are on the table for 2012, we'll see more Macrumors users be dissatisfied with the iPhone than ever before in iPhone's history. This dissatisfaction will be the same and equally palpable at other iPhone forums and iPhone article comment sections on the web.
  2. iPhone 5/6 will sell well, but more iPhone users will actually leave to competing phones than ever before, and this fact will be reflected in the downturn of iPhone sales in the months following the September reveal.
  3. Accordingly, Android and Windows Phone market share will continue to climb.
  4. Tech blogs and larger tech publications will heavily criticize the iPhone design and iOS6 featureset, generally stating that Apple seems to be slacking off in terms of real innovation this year, despite still making a quality product as usual.
  5. The verdict against Samsung is a victory for Apple, but many people will cite Apple's propensity to litigate against the competition while putting out a lackluster phone and OS this year as one of the reasons they bought a competing handset instead.

I know some of you are resolute that Apple will never face what I'm describing, but we'll see what happens by the end of Q1 2013.

You guys can use this thread to laugh at me if I'm wrong, so try not to flame like crazy just because you see an anti-Apple opinion thread and just discuss this in a calm manner.

eheh I can not agree more.
Success of a launch is not measured by length of waiting queues but by beating analysts expectations... And these guys have them pretty high with iPhone5 being not impressive at all
For historic markets product is boring (MR is not a correct sample), emerging will drag some sales though

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
So the rave reviews are in. This phone is incredible, and will sell like mad.
If you read the reviews, the reviews aren't too keen on iOS6, most of them say the iPhone 5 is just a refinement of the 4 and some of them are saying the black iPhone 5 scuffs easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.