Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA

Looks good...you just never know with Kickstarter projects. My limited experience is they take much longer than projected even after they get fully funded. It sounds like they're outsourcing the die cutting they wanna eventually do in-house in order to deliver by December.

Always a gamble. I guess it depends on how important $60 is to you. Good luck if you go for it!

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Looks good...you just never know with Kickstarter projects. My limited experience is they take much longer than projected even after they get fully funded. It sounds like they're outsourcing the die cutting they wanna eventually do in-house in order to deliver by December.

Always a gamble. I guess it depends on how important $60 is to you. Good luck if you go for it!

I agree. I help fund the pebble watch project. Was suppose to be shipped out in early summer. It's November and they are almost ready to ship. So expect 3 to 6 months delays.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Received my Belkin dock today. I will add some photos here. First, the dock does not come with any cable, so you provide your own cable, so there is no issue with charging and syncing. It is well built and works with or without a case with no problems. It is not heavy enough that you can remove phone from dock with one hand, but it does have a rubber pad that keeps it from sliding. When removing the phone from dock, the cable does slide up just a tad, but you can easily re seat it by pushing down on connector. Is it worth $30? Meh. I'm still debating whether or not to send it back. I would prefer a dock with the lightning connector built in.

Here is the dock un assembled. It just attaches magnetically.
9DEC2CC3-127E-46D9-BF49-508305DE9081-1168-0000001C924F2975.jpg

Here is the dock assembled.
9C765933-B219-4A3A-84D8-1CFE6A538975-1168-0000001C9D17CDAE.jpg

Photos with Elago outfit case.
Elago2.jpg

Elago1.jpg

Final pic is with no case.
Naked.jpg

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
Received my Belkin dock today. I will add some photos here. First, the dock does not come with any cable, so you provide your own cable, so there is no issue with charging and syncing. It is well built and works with or without a case with no problems. It is not heavy enough that you can remove phone from dock with one hand, but it does have a rubber pad that keeps it from sliding. When removing the phone from dock, the cable does slide up just a tad, but you can easily re seat it by pushing down on connector. Is it worth $30? Meh. I'm still debating whether or not to send it back. I would prefer a dock with the lightning connector built in.

Thanks for posting. I agree with meh.

At least it is something.

vodavoda

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Anyone ordered from iphone5mod and received theirs?

I ordered the dock + lightning cable on 24th Oct and they have yet to ship my order. Sent 2 emails on 10 and 14 Nov to cancel the order but received no response from them :(

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Im new to kickstarter. So if I pledge for the dock and they don't meet the goal, do they still ship one to me?

If you pledge and they fail to meet the goal, you don't get charged and they don't ship anything. On the flipside, if you pledge, they get funded, horribly mismanage the money and don't end up with a product, you have no real recourse. A few projects have gone this way, but its not, in my opinion, indicative of the whole Kickstarter experience, nor should the prospect totally turn you off from supporting a project.

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
looks great but i doubt the funds will be there in 29 days

That would be a sad outcome. I was about to pledge the FineDock but I thought it looked terrible in comparison to this. This "podi-m" actually looks nice with or without a device docked to it.

Rangerfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012

I ordered the dock + lightning cable on 24th Oct and they have yet to ship my order. Sent 2 emails on 10 and 14 Nov to cancel the order but received no response from them :(

I ordered mine on October 9 and just received it today. So it took 5 weeks or so. I think that for the price it's well worth it. See my previous post and picture.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Belkin lightning dock sucks!!!

I am a big fan of Belkin. they always have the coolest and most innovative stuff out there.
I just got the new iPhone 5 charger dock today.
It is just about the worst accessory you can buy.
At first it looks like a great idea, then you feed the lightning cable through the hole in the dock and then the cable hides under the bottom of it.
Then goes the magnetic plate that acts as a bottom.
Docking the iPhone is easy. Just plug it in, But as soon as you try to take it off the dock, the whole cable comes with it. Even if you try to hold the dock with one hand and then pull the iPhone up, the cable stays attached to the iPhone.
If you already own an iPhone five, you already know the lightning connector is very tight. The old 30 pin connector was more snuggle and I never had trouble taking my iPhone 4S off the Apple dock.

I think it is Apple's fault by not allowing third-party companies to develop their own lightning products. Is very strange that belkin is already developing car chargers with the lightning connector and they chose to use Apple's own cable instead of creating a dock with a built-in connector.

It's so funny that Belkin has a video showing how to assemble the dock and they plug in an iPhone 5 and a new iPod to it but they never show it coming off...

Ridiculous.

I will contact Belkin tomorrow to return the two docks that I bought. They are a waste of money. Until they come up with a dock that has a built-in connector. this is just a waste of money. Don't buy it.

As far as I'm concerned this new lightning connector is a bad move on Apple's part. I understand Technology has to progress, but the lightning to 30 pin adapter being $30 and Not supporting video out on an iPhone 5 is just a disgrace.
Me, like thousands of other people that have a bunch of 30 pin on home accessories, car chargers or USB chargers, etc. are probably hating this new connector right now...
I am.

----------

Here you go. I'm using my own cable which attaches to the back.

Awesome. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago...
Just got 2 belkin docks which suck so bad!
Read my previous post to see why.
I can't wait for my Chinese dock ;)
Belkin has the balls to write "designed in California" on the bottom of the dock...
:rolleyes:

----------

Don't cancel. The Belkin dock is useless.
Wait for iphonemod ;)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I solved the loose cable on the belkin by placing 2 strips of electrical tape perpendicular across the slot on the bottom where the cable runs through. Then put the pieces back together, and cable no longer moves. But for $30, it's not worth it.

JMc07

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
i would be pay $60 no problem but the fact it's not going to ship anytime soon is a problem.

anyone know when they will ship exactly?

Probably never. They just cancelled my order without my request stating production delays. I ordered the hardwood version back at the beginning of October.

----------

I ordered the Lightning Dock, hardwood with back support, but no connector. I'm interested to see how it looks!

Did you ever get it or did you get the canned email from Vince saying production delays.

Rangerfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I ordered mine on October 9 and just received it today. So it took 5 weeks or so. I think that for the price it's well worth it. See my previous post and picture.
Well take back what I said about the Flash Lightning dock from IPhone5 mod. Left the phone docked securely overnight but it did not charge. Seems to be in there securely and the phone indicates that it is charging but it's not working. Plan to contact them today and will report the follow up.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Well take back what I said about the Flash Lightning dock from IPhone5 mod. Left the phone docked securely overnight but it did not charge. Seems to be in there securely and the phone indicates that it is charging but it's not working. Plan to contact them today and will report the follow up.

Good luck getting an answer or a replacement from these people.
I contacted them many times about the status of my order and nothing...
:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.