Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Yup, it's checked in iTunes (under summary). Like I said, if I plug the lightning cable directly to my iPhone, it syncs automatically. But if I plug the lightning cable into this dock and then dock my iPhone, the battery charges but no automatic sync.

vodavoda

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I got a refund authorized through Paypal. Only took one day. So the search starts again.

Mine turned out different. Called paypal on 16 Nov and today iphone5mod charged me the amount :mad:

So much for their commitment of only charging when order shipped, status is still processing.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
Anyone know if Braeburn is planning on releasing an satin/anodized aluminum black dock? I like the glossy back, but would prefer a satin one, I think. Just wondering.

----------

[/COLOR]I also heard back from Braeburn Acoustics and they are indeed coming out with a Pro version. Their current version which I have is a very good value for the price. He said the pro will have the lightning cable incorporated into the dock as well as some other features but this lightning cable thing from Apple really has 3rd party manufacturers by the you know what's!

Thanks for that info, answered one of my questions. :) Any news on how soon they'll have it out?

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone know if Braeburn is planning on releasing an satin/anodized aluminum black dock? I like the glossy back, but would prefer a satin one, I think. Just wondering.

----------

Thanks for that info, answered one of my questions. :) Any news on how soon they'll have it out?

They have to wait for apples approval of the lightning connector. They said it'll be somewhere in the $30 range, and if you have the version that's out now, you'll get a 50% discount or so. (I emailed them a couple weeks ago asking about it)

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
They have to wait for apples approval of the lightning connector. They said it'll be somewhere in the $30 range, and if you have the version that's out now, you'll get a 50% discount or so. (I emailed them a couple weeks ago asking about it)

Thanks, looks like I'll get one of the versions out now! :cool: unless i should hold off and see if they do a coupon code for BF/CM, hmm...

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

----------

Braeburn said it all depends on Apple so he had no idea.
Just waiting I guess. But the current model works quite well and is priced well enough to hold me off until whenever really.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
The reviewer says he can tell it's a high quality dock based on the weight of the box, without even having to open that. Ha!

Even a box full of dog **** is going to have some weight to it!

True... but there is something to be said for the weight of such a small package. He could have phrased it better, but, you can tell when something is pure plastic. There's no weight to it at all. This thing comes in a tiny box, and the weight is probably a little surprising based on how small the box is. For a dock, that does suggest - not prove, mind you, but suggest - quality materials.

The design seems to mean ruining the lightning cable which isn't too impressive. And the Perspex back rest looks terrible.

I think it only ruins the cable if you screw the hex-fastener-screw too tight. But here's an interesting thought about the Lightning Dock, which has me thinking about buying one. Note the way the bottom of the dock has a plate that screws off, revealing where you'd feed the lightning cable through the dock. I bet there's potential to DIY that sucker to secure the cable underneath too, which would then negate the need to tighten the hex-screw very tightly at all.

...could be good...?

The Belkin dock wouldn't be as good since the bottom isn't tightly screwed into place. It's just magnetic. Magnetic is cool, but screws to lock the bottom in place mean potential to DIY for a tighter fit to prevent the cable from sliding when you un-dock your iPhone.

Oh, and yeah, the back looks terrible. On their site, they show clear back support. That's fine. In the youtube review, it's white? Terrible. It shouldn't be too hard to paint it back though... but for the price (an extra $9 for the tiny piece of back support?) you shouldn't have to.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Finally got my iPhone 5 adapter for Elevation Dock. As noted by others, the main problem is the fact that it's no longer frictionless. You can still dock and remove with one hand, but removing now requires you to hold down the dock w/ your pinky. Still works pretty well though, and looks sweet.

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
Finally got my iPhone 5 adapter for Elevation Dock. As noted by others, the main problem is the fact that it's no longer frictionless. You can still dock and remove with one hand, but removing now requires you to hold down the dock w/ your pinky. Still works pretty well though, and looks sweet.

That's disappointing. I've had it less than 6 months and it already lost its usefulness. I ordered the adapter as well and I'll use it at work since it's way too expensive a dock to retire.

I've pledged towards the Podi-m which the designer has stated requires no force to hold down the dock while removing the iPhone. The great thing is that it also works with the iPad mini. This'll be my main dock at home assuming enough pledges are made before the deadline! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1813249476/podi-m-the-beautiful-dock-that-matches-your-iphone

gametime10

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
That's disappointing. I've had it less than 6 months and it already lost its usefulness. I ordered the adapter as well and I'll use it at work since it's way too expensive a dock to retire.

I've pledged towards the Podi-m which the designer has stated requires no force to hold down the dock while removing the iPhone. The great thing is that it also works with the iPad mini. This'll be my main dock at home assuming enough pledges are made before the deadline! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1813249476/podi-m-the-beautiful-dock-that-matches-your-iphone

That dock is using your existing lightning cable. It's gotta be quite heavy to allow you to undock w/out holding it down. I wish they showed it undocking in the video, but it's curious that they don't (unless I just missed it).

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
That dock is using your existing lightning cable. It's gotta be quite heavy to allow you to undock w/out holding it down. I wish they showed it undocking in the video, but it's curious that they don't (unless I just missed it).

It says it in the description
Meet Podi-m, a dock that's more than a charging station. It's a functional piece of art that lets you undock with one hand.

as well as in the comments:
Yes the iPhone can be undocked without holding down the dock. The dock weighs a massive 28 ounces.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Made my own dock using the Amzer iGlobe dock I was using for the iPhone 4 & iPad 2. Removed screws under pads on bottom. Drilled a 19/64th hole just in-front of the sliding adapter and secured Lightening Cable (carefully measured) using plastic epoxy and hot glue. I then filled the tiny gaps in front with hot glue and finished off with small rubber washer. Looks great, works great I now have a working dock with 2 different connectors. Had it with Apple. I just bought the iPad 3 and a month later they announce another iPad, due out shortly, with the lightening connector. You can't keep up with them.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wow, the following is an interesting review of the Podi-m prototype:

http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/podi-m-aluminum-lightning-dock-review.html

The rod on that thing is wonky. The whole thing looks like a mannequin stand from a department store or some sort of weird bathroom appliance.

And Podi-M might be the worst name I've ever seen. Is it supposed to be a play on podium? Umm, call me crazy but when you are selling an accessory for a product made by a company who makes millions of other products with the word POD in the name, not PODE, deriving your product name from the word podium is a really bad idea. People are not going to say PODE-E-UM. They are going to say POTTY-M. Which is why Podi-M is a crap name.

Last edited:

mkbook

macrumors member
May 8, 2010
The rod on that thing is wonky. The whole thing looks like a mannequin stand from a department store or some sort of weird bathroom appliance.

And Podi-M might be the worst name I've ever seen. Is it supposed to be a play on podium? Umm, call me crazy but when you are selling an accessory for a product made by a company who makes millions of other products with the word POD in the name, not PODE, deriving your product name from the word podium is a really bad idea. People are not going to say PODE-E-UM. They are going to say POTTY-M. Which is why Podi-M is a crap name.

I cancelled my pledge. The review made me not want to spend that kind of cash anymore!

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I also won't be going with the podi-m after reading that article.
I agree with the other poster that the name is really bad. I also called it poddy-m at first. I think it's good product but needs some work of which would probably make it more expensive than it already is!

The length of the oval needs to be longer so that is will also support an iPad Mini and even possibly a full size iPad. The long rod sticking up looks hidious and should be more of a wall brace or something and if it actually could be set at different angles for reading would be awesome! As it stands now, it's too pricey and unattractive and not as functional as it could be. Otherwise, the base part looks really really nice. Just needs to be longer. Too bad. I really liked it at first.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.