Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
bought this one and received it Friday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310540414662

It works fine with a naked phone, but not with my bumper (lightning connecter is not long enough). Anyone else have the same issue? I'm wondering if I can modify it or if I need to get either a new case or different dock.

So looking at this on eBay, it looks like I can plug one of the old style 30 pin USB cables into this (so it kind of works like an adapter?) is that correct.

xTorch

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Does anyone know of a dock that has audio output, doesn't look like a rip-off and is not too expensive? I considered buying the Belkin one, but they only ship to the US and Canada, so I'm kinda out of options here.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Does anyone know of a dock that has audio output, doesn't look like a rip-off and is not too expensive? I considered buying the Belkin one, but they only ship to the US and Canada, so I'm kinda out of options here.

This one
bought this one and received it Friday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310540414662

It works fine with a naked phone, but not with my bumper (lightning connecter is not long enough). Anyone else have the same issue? I'm wondering if I can modify it or if I need to get either a new case or different dock.

xTorch

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Problem is I don't want to have to use a 30 pin cable on it. What's the point of having an iPhone with a Lightning connector if I'll use 30 pin anyway? Also, I don't have any spare 30 pins anymore, and I don't want to have to buy one.

brsedu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Promising Apple dock insert

I found this today and thought I'd share it with all of us who are looking for a suitable way to dock our new iPhone 5, and it looks pretty good.

This is an insert for Apple Universal docks. You need the shorter Lightning to 30 pin adapter for it to work, but it otherwise keeps the audio out intact. Only shortcoming I can see is that it may only work with a naked phone.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/8272...-for-universal-dock.html?li=productBox-search

I'm considering ordering one.

Attachments

• 674x501_827250_706927_1355453663.jpg
    674x501_827250_706927_1355453663.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 897
  • 674x501_827250_706930_1355453747.jpg
    674x501_827250_706930_1355453747.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 121

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
I found this today and thought I'd share it with all of us who are looking for a suitable way to dock our new iPhone 5, and it looks pretty good.

This is an insert for Apple Universal docks. You need the shorter Lightning to 30 pin adapter for it to work, but it otherwise keeps the audio out intact. Only shortcoming I can see is that it may only work with a naked phone.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/8272...-for-universal-dock.html?li=productBox-search

Doesn't look bad, but at that price range I'd rather buy a new dock.. Bunch of nice ones out there in the $40-50 price range.

vodavoda

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012

The price... and doesn't look case friendly...

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Just purchased the kidigi iPhone 5 dock today for $23 including shipping. Should be here early next week. Anyone else purchased this dock yet? I believe it just came out about a week or 2 ago. Will let you know what I think of it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wow, just went through 23 pages and haven't seen a dock I really like, apart from the Elevation which is ridiculously expensive and Dock+ which you can't buy yet.

Does nobody make an iPhone 5 dock like Apple's old docks, out of either plastic or a metal?

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
40 for that adapter-case, and 29 for the adapter from Apple... this is a crazy upgrade for the original Apple dock.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
The lightening 30 pin adapter works with no case. The lightening cable can be trimmed a bit to fit providing the case has a bit of wiggle room. I contacted SEIDIO about a car charger and was told the lightening cable boot had to be built to specs set by Apple. I bought the coiled cable by Griffen and it just fits my DRACO.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
This review is for the “schuttenWorks” iPhone Acoustic Dock that I recently received.

Let me preface this by saying that I have purchased 6 different iPhone 5 docks so far looking for the right one. I just received this dock, and so far it's the best iPhone 5 dock I've seen. It works with my thin Sedio case, it's angled, easy to slide in as you don't have to hunt for the connector, and solid to use while inside the dock. You have to remove the phone using two hands unless you do what I do with all my docks and put QuakeHold on the bottom to hold it to wherever the dock is sitting. Now it's one-handed in and out.

If I have one complaint, it would be that the Home button could be made more easily accessible by continuing the cutout to the front edge of the dock. Other than that, it's pretty close to perfect.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Received my kidigi dock today. So far so good, it looks nice, somewhat heavy for possible one hand removal. The only major issue I'd say I have is that (obviously we use our own cable) but that connector moves higher quite often when being undocked, I always have to push it down. I guess this is probably the case for every dock that uses your own cable. I like when the connector is built straight into the dock like the apple one. I will be keeping my eye out for a nice built in connector dock, however, for now this will do.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Does the Kidigi dock work with Element Sector 5?

I'm sure it does even when i dont know what that is or looks like. I say this because you put your own connector and the lightning part of the cord can be moved up further out and also further down. I've heard sometimes the lightning connector doesn't reach certain cases, with this one that's probably not the case, it should work I'm guessing. The back piece holding the phone up also slides back as well to make room for a phone using a case.

bandle

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
reverse 30-pin to lightning adapter?

OK so Apple offers a lightning to 30-pin adapter, allowing an iPhone 5 to plug into an older dock, but has anyone seen anything about a reverse adapter allowing a older 30-pin iPhone to plug into a lightning dock? I'm holding onto my 4S until my AT&T contract qualifies for an upgrade in late 2013. At the moment I'm in the market for a new docking device, and I'd prefer it to be lightning-based for forward compatibility. For the period of time until I get a newer iPhone, I'd like to be able to plug the 4S into a lightning dock. Anyone have any links?

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I ordered a "the lightning dock" back on jan. 1st, the website stated the docks ship in 5-7 business days... well yesterday would have been 7 business days so I emailed the company and they responded saying it will ship out by next friday! Has anyone else ordered this dock and experienced them not living up to their shipping promises?

dgravo

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
I ordered on 12/29 and emailed them Monday and they said it will ship next Wednesday. Not real happy with their customer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.