Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Because a commonly accepted definition of responsibility is to complete one commitment before taking on another? Because the people that have ordered, and have ALREADY PAID have fair expectation of having a product in hand before someone who hasn't?

Is that enough or do you need more?

You may not be familiar with roll outs for corporations that have an international market, but planning for manufacturing output, boxing/packaging from the manufacturer, shipping slot purchases, documents of declaration for export/import, local distribution, pos planning and management all take place according to a plan set in place long before you paid for your iPhone. When sales/orders exceed quotas set, then delivery times are bumped in markets. Maybe you want to complain that they didn't plan properly, as some people are finding anything and everything to complain about Apple these days. if that's your thing, then rant on.

And the line "...Is that enough or do you want more?" reeks of the arrogance that some of our populace seem to pride themselves on, over and over again, especially when addressing other cultures.

Clouseau

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Denmark
You may not be familiar with roll outs for corporations that have an international market, but planning for manufacturing output, boxing/packaging from the manufacturer, shipping slot purchases, documents of declaration for export/import, local distribution, pos planning and management all take place according to a plan set in place long before you paid for your iPhone. When sales/orders exceed quotas set, then delivery times are bumped in markets. Maybe you want to complain that they didn't plan properly, as some people are finding anything and everything to complain about Apple these days. if that's your thing, then rant on.

And the line "...Is that enough or do you want more?" reeks of the arrogance that some of our populace seem to pride themselves on, over and over again, especially when addressing other cultures.[/QUOTE)

;)

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
Sweden reporting in: Just passed a healthy line outside a Telia (major operator) store on Södermalm here in Stockholm...

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
The international buyers will receive copies free of problems experienced with the initial US batch. I'll bide my time here in the US and stride into a store when the phones are in supply and just sitting there waiting to be picked.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What radio bands do the European models cover?

I'm wondering if a person buying off-contract, and who plans to travel, would be better served trying to get a European or Japanese iPhone rather than a US AT&T model.

3G works the same but european iPhone 5 uses a different LTE frequence if im not mistaken

jeremykjtan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Apple NZ Launch

Just FYI for some of you internationally where the iPhone 5 launch is happening today in your country (Friday 28th), as we in New Zealand get to see the light of the new day first...

In NZ all our phones are unlocked across all carriers, HOWEVER today on launch day, all physical retail stores were only selling iPhone 5's on the condition that you purchase the phone on a locked-in, 24 month plan.
The two largest carriers here held midnight launch parties in all major cities, with other, normal retail stores nationwide opening with product this morning at normal business hours (however still requiring a purchase with a plan).

Apple released an E-Mail to customers (for those subscribed to product news) at about 3am this morning (NZ time) and the website was updated shortly later. According to many waiting (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=76&topicid=109084&page_no=29), any orders placed at Apple NZ online had the following shipping estimates (myself included):

Ships: 3 - 4 Weeks
Delivers 29/10/2012 - 02/11/2012 via Standard Shipping

So looks like they don't have stock set aside for each country (at least not from our experience and we have the same shipping estimates as the US!), unfortunately we don't have any Apple stores here to buy direct from without going to a carrier. Those looking to buy a phone outright might want to stand in line at your local Apple store if you have one!

Not saying that this is going to be the same in every country but this is what happened here in NZ, at least - Hope that this info helps someone! :)

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Cool so the rest of the world will get a phone tomorrow that I pre ordered 2 weeks ago and still didn't get it yet? Yeah makes sense
</sarcasm>

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
So looks like they don't have stock set aside for each country (at least not from our experience and we have the same shipping estimates as the US!

You know what, i'm actually glad they don't have stock. If there is the slightest chance that the manufacturing errors (scuffs) have stopped since the original stock, i'll take it!

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Just FYI for some of you internationally where the iPhone 5 launch is happening today in your country (Friday 28th), as we in New Zealand get to see the light of the new day first...

In NZ all our phones are unlocked across all carriers, HOWEVER today on launch day, all physical retail stores were only selling iPhone 5's on the condition that you purchase the phone on a locked-in, 24 month plan.
The two largest carriers here held midnight launch parties in all major cities, with other, normal retail stores nationwide opening with product this morning at normal business hours (however still requiring a purchase with a plan).

Apple released an E-Mail to customers (for those subscribed to product news) at about 3am this morning (NZ time) and the website was updated shortly later. According to many waiting (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=76&topicid=109084&page_no=29), any orders placed at Apple NZ online had the following shipping estimates (myself included):

Ships: 3 - 4 Weeks
Delivers 29/10/2012 - 02/11/2012 via Standard Shipping

So looks like they don't have stock set aside for each country (at least not from our experience and we have the same shipping estimates as the US!), unfortunately we don't have any Apple stores here to buy direct from without going to a carrier. Those looking to buy a phone outright might want to stand in line at your local Apple store if you have one!

Not saying that this is going to be the same in every country but this is what happened here in NZ, at least - Hope that this info helps someone! :)

Thanks for the information.

I hope it works out differently for us in Ireland.

Norwegiantroll

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Please respond

Does anyone know when the iPhone 5 will be avaliable to order from apple.com in Norway? Several people says 00.00 local time, but I'm not sure...Please answer me! :)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Oh dear. I love being an American, but some of you folks need to get a grip.

Roll on, Apple, roll on.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I wonder how this will affect their sales numbers. They're opening up all these new markets, but they don't have any stock. Maybe they're saving up the big numbers for their next quarterly report.

The talk by the Wall Street analysts are that Apple is supply constrained by the 5's display (bit of new tech) and some are lowering their sales estimates for the Holiday quarter significantly because of that...who knows if their right, but it sounds plausible (considering what we heard before the launch here in the U.S....that 5 displays were having production issues).

Last edited:

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Oh dear. I love being an American, but some of you folks need to get a grip.

Roll on, Apple, roll on.

agreed. This is now a global economy. More importantly, Apple transcends any nationalism (for better for for worse, but this is the nature of corporations in general, Apple moreso because it has products that are internationally desired).

Apple wouldn't do this to 'lose' sales in the U.S., but to gain profits in all the world. I can only hope that they are accurately and agilely balancing their channel distribution numbers, to maximize pull through (Every phone in the store today is sold today... everywhere, no local gluts).

Some say this increases the number of phones available in the U.S. as it decreases demand in the grey market (iPhone Cowboys) who are buying maximum units in the U.S.(professional line waiters) and shipping them abroad.

I don't think Tim Cook does this to p*ss off his US loyal customers... but to put smiles on his shareholders. In the end, I'm sure this is maximum profit and the 'right' amount of customer pain.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
The talk by the Wall Street analysts are that Apple is supply constrained by the 5's display (bit of new tech) and some are lowing their sales estimates for the Holiday quarter significantly because of that...who knows if their right, but it sounds plausible (considering what we heard before the launch here in the U.S....that 5 displays were having production issues).

This could be, but given their opening weekend sales, they are constrained but not source quenched.

I doubt substantial buyers will NOT buy an iPhone5 and look elsewhere to a GIII or a Nokia, who weren't already 'iffy' buyers.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
This could be, but given their opening weekend sales, they are constrained but not source quenched.

I doubt substantial buyers will NOT buy an iPhone5 and look elsewhere to a GIII or a Nokia, who weren't already 'iffy' buyers.

Absolutely agree, anyone planning on getting a 5 during rollout here is not going to be at much risk of getting sidetracked to different ecosystem.

who-dat

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
MacBookPro13";15893110 said:
Why should every US order be completed before it's rolled out to the other countries?

We paid and ordered ours first.
You, and every other country can get to the back of the line, behind those of us who have ordered and paid for our phones.

Tony.Skid

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Italy
Tomorrow at 9 a.m. (I'm in Italy) , I will get my new iPhone 5 at local phone shop. No wait, no queue :)
T - 10 hours

BTW, I understand all the people in U.S. that had preorder on the Store being mad...

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
MacBookPro13";15893110 said:
Why should every US order be completed before it's rolled out to the other countries?

Otherwise it wouldn't really be a preorder, would it.
Ordered on announcement day, it CONSTANTLY gets delayed. Initially by October 2nd, now pushed to the 15th.
That's almost 5 weeks of waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.