Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Still a long shot for NFC.

Because based on hardware iterations 3 and 4 the 'S' iteration doesn't add new components it only increments the existing components.
So to be reasonable do we really think that Apple would wait another 2 years before implementing NFC?
The chipset may be built in but not enabled with iOS6.

/Just sayin'

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Samsung call your lawyers!!!!

iPhone 4G is a reality!

Truck is on its way to samsung HQ

kleercut-truck.jpg

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
They should just call it iPhone 2012 or 2013 depending if they want to be like car model years or not.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Because based on hardware iterations 3 and 4 the 'S' iteration doesn't add new components it only increments the existing components.
So to be reasonable do we really think that Apple would wait another 2 years before implementing NFC?
The chipset may be built in but not enabled with iOS6.

/Just sayin'
NFC is DOA. Too many downsides, not enough upsides. Unless Apple gives it a kick in the pants by including it on the phone, which is definitely not their style, it just ain't ever happening. By the time it becomes relevant, something else will have come along that's better.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Maybe the "5" shadow has a double meaning.

One meaning iPhone 5.

It could also mean the announcement of five new products.

1) iPhone, 2) new iPod touch, 3) new iPod nano, 4) new iTunes, and 5) new "earpods"?

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Look, there was no iPhone 2, and no iPhone 3. Even if we argue that iPhone 3G and 3GS were "iPhone 2" that then brings us to 3, not 4. But the fourth iPhone was called iPhone 4. Following the past naming scheme, the new iPhone should not be called iPhone 5. If we completely abandon everything pre-iPhone 4 then it would seem that they're now referring to the body design as the key in numbering the iPhone.

tl;dr: iPhone 5 name doesn't make sense unless you ignore pre-iPhone 4.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Can't wait for it to be official so I can watch those smug users who thought they knew everything about Apple's naming system be proved wrong.

kind of like you, right now?

iPhone 5, while it probably will be the name, doesn't make sense considering which iPhone is it. The people say "I told you so" and "it makes so much sense," are simply fanboys not able to admit that Apple can do wrong.

----------

Samsung call your lawyers!!!!

iPhone 4G is a reality!

Only 2 years after Samsung put 4g in their phones.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
kind of like you, right now?

iPhone 5, while it probably will be the name, doesn't make sense considering which iPhone is it. The people say "I told you so" and "it makes so much sense," are simply fanboys not able to admit that Apple can do wrong.

----------

Only 2 years after Samsung put 4g in their phones.
Not at all like me. I would only refer to it by the name iPhone 5, and other users would get mad at me for mentioning that name, saying it doesn't make sense. You sound like you were probably one of those fanboys getting mad at people who referred to it as iPhone 5. It makes sense from a normal user standpoint, maybe not a technical one.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Look, there was no iPhone 2, and no iPhone 3. Even if we argue that iPhone 3G and 3GS were "iPhone 2" that then brings us to 3, not 4. But the fourth iPhone was called iPhone 4. Following the past naming scheme, the new iPhone should not be called iPhone 5. If we completely abandon everything pre-iPhone 4 then it would seem that they're now referring to the body design as the key in numbering the iPhone.

tl;dr: iPhone 5 name doesn't make sense unless you ignore pre-iPhone 4.

Somebody call the waaaaaaambulance !

Feeling smug is awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.