Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm waiting for the anti-glare with clear back combo. Much cheaper than other companies also.

I'm happy with my PowerSupport shields on my iPhone 4. Had it installed all 2 years I had the phone.

There won't be a back protector because the back is not smooth. It will not adhere.

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I ordered mine thru TRU Protection. Same Power Support Film. I had the matte on my 3, 4 and soon, 5. No fingerprints, no glare. Never never had any problems with the film. It's the best!!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I ordered mine thru TRU Protection. Same Power Support Film. I had the matte on my 3, 4 and soon, 5. No fingerprints, no glare. Never never had any problems with the film. It's the best!!

I know that Power Support and Tru Protection are the same company but seriously, what's the difference between the two besides Power Support selling Apple only products? I mean is there any advantage if I ordered through Tru Protection rather than wait for Power Support? I've ordered through Power Support since my 3G.

benamaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Did TRU Protection have them in stock and ship early? Both say shipping late September or October.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Do you have a link, is it cheaper through TRU Protection or something?

Flux.Capacitor

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Anybody waiting for their screen protectors? I've had them on my 3gs, 4, 4s and very good quality! Can't wait!

Knowing PowerSupport, you're going to be waiting for quite a while.

never heard of this brand.... are they any good? I always go with belkin

The PowerSupport ones are my favorite screen protectors, IMO they are the best out there. But like Blorzoga said, could be a while before they come out. I got my iPad (retina) on launch day and had to throw on a cheap one in the meantime till the PS ones came out for the retina. But they are definitely worth it.

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I know that Power Support and Tru Protection are the same company but seriously, what's the difference between the two besides Power Support selling Apple only products? I mean is there any advantage if I ordered through Tru Protection rather than wait for Power Support? I've ordered through Power Support since my 3G.

When I questioned PS customer service:

Thank you for your email inquiry.
Power Support USA is excited to announce that we will be providing protection films for the iPhone 5.
We expect both our Crystal and Anti-Glare films to be available within 3-4 weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5 on 9/21 (mid-October). At this time, we are not taking pre-orders. Air Jackets will soon follow in November, along with Privacy films available for the holidays.
If you're looking for immediate protection, our sister company, Tru Protection is currently taking pre-orders for both Anti-Glare and Crystal films. The Anti-Glare films will ship out starting 9/21, while the Crystal films will ship in mid-October. These films are precisely cut and offer the same quality and protection as Power Support. The main difference is that Power Support is packaged overseas in Japan, while TruProtection is in the US.
Please keep an eye on the website for any updates. If you have not done already, please sign up to our newsletter at http://www.powersupportusa.com or http://www.truprotection.com
Thanks for your continued support!

I then asked if there was a difference between the PS and Tru matte film:

That is correct. The films are the same product, just in different packaging.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
When I questioned PS customer service:

Thank you for your email inquiry.
Power Support USA is excited to announce that we will be providing protection films for the iPhone 5.
We expect both our Crystal and Anti-Glare films to be available within 3-4 weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5 on 9/21 (mid-October). At this time, we are not taking pre-orders. Air Jackets will soon follow in November, along with Privacy films available for the holidays.
If you're looking for immediate protection, our sister company, Tru Protection is currently taking pre-orders for both Anti-Glare and Crystal films. The Anti-Glare films will ship out starting 9/21, while the Crystal films will ship in mid-October. These films are precisely cut and offer the same quality and protection as Power Support. The main difference is that Power Support is packaged overseas in Japan, while TruProtection is in the US.
Please keep an eye on the website for any updates. If you have not done already, please sign up to our newsletter at http://www.powersupportusa.com or http://www.truprotection.com
Thanks for your continued support!

I then asked if there was a difference between the PS and Tru matte film:

That is correct. The films are the same product, just in different packaging.

Thanks for this info! Just pre-ordered 2 Crystal films from Tru.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Is the wrapsol better than the bodyguardz?
I was thinking of ordering the back and sides from bodyguardz and either wait for PS screen or go for an SGP.

http://www.bodyguardz.com/apple-iphone-5-cases-screen-protectors-covers-shields-skins-films.html

I was planning of putting my phone into a Speck CandyShell. Is one film more case friendly than the other?

I've never tried the body guards but if its anything like the zagg ill pass. I'm not a fan of the feel and I've always had an orange peel look with zagg. Wet installs scare me as well lol.

Lizzie.

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
USA
I've never tried the body guards but if its anything like the zagg ill pass. I'm not a fan of the feel and I've always had an orange peel look with zagg. Wet installs scare me as well lol.

I have a bodyguards for my iPad 2 and it was scary doing the wet apply lol, but then again it was before they had their "gel." The feel is okay, it recently started to have a tint of color in one of the corners. I heard that a bodyguardz can be applied "dry," but I'm not sure if that's true and I'm afraid to find out the hard way. Even more so finding out it won't fit in the CandyShell.

Maybe I'll just wait and hope PS or someone makes a decent friendly case back protector.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Wow :eek: The Spigen SGP is $27.99 which seems expensive for just one....
Spigen SGP is a company. They make a number of screen protectors. You're referring to the GLAS.t.

IIRC their other screen protectors are comparable in pricing to Power Support. I've used both of these brands and consider both to be good. As with any subjective matter, YMMV. There are countless prior threads discussion the various screen protector options if you want more opinions and opinions on different brands.

never heard of this brand.... are they any good?
1. Good is always highly subjective. Clarify your notion of good if you want feedback.
2. Which brand? Power Support? SGP? Another? Power Support and SGP are frequently discussed here:
https://www.google.com/search?q="po...cp.r_qf.&fp=9ab7bdb26321ca5d&biw=1680&bih=929
https://www.google.com/search?q="po...cp.r_qf.&fp=9ab7bdb26321ca5d&biw=1680&bih=929

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I have a bodyguards for my iPad 2 and it was scary doing the wet apply lol, but then again it was before they had their "gel." The feel is okay, it recently started to have a tint of color in one of the corners. I heard that a bodyguardz can be applied "dry," but I'm not sure if that's true and I'm afraid to find out the hard way. Even more so finding out it won't fit in the CandyShell.

Maybe I'll just wait and hope PS or someone makes a decent friendly case back protector.

SGP are very good too

Slightly Hyphy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
What is the difference between the Power Support crystal and the anti-glare, aside from the obvious? I can't remember which type I bought for my iphone 4 but it is very prone to finger prints and smears, and I'd like to avoid that this time if possible.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
What is the difference between the Power Support crystal and the anti-glare, aside from the obvious? I can't remember which type I bought for my iphone 4 but it is very prone to finger prints and smears, and I'd like to avoid that this time if possible.
That would be "crystal". Apple Store only carried the "anti-glare" and stopped selling "crystal" long time ago -- probably a lot of customers complained about fingerprints and smears.

Honestly, I like "anti-glare" for the front and "crystal" on the back. It's the best of both worlds, my wife and I had it on our iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. I always bought mine from powersupportusa.com, they have an eBay Store and shipping is way less and ships from the same place (California)...so if you're from CA the cheapest shipping is as fast if you select 2-day shipping.

Slightly Hyphy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
That would be "crystal". Apple Store only carried the "anti-glare" and stopped selling "crystal" long time ago -- probably a lot of customers complained about fingerprints and smears.

Honestly, I like "anti-glare" for the front and "crystal" on the back. It's the best of both worlds, my wife and I had it on our iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. I always bought mine from powersupportusa.com, they have an eBay Store and shipping is way less and ships from the same place (California)...so if you're from CA the cheapest shipping is as fast if you select 2-day shipping.

Great, thanks for the information! Does the anti-glare make the screen harder to see? I've seen some screen protectors that have kind of a darker tint, and I was just wondering if the PS anti glare also reduces visibility of the screen a little bit.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Great, thanks for the information! Does the anti-glare make the screen harder to see? I've seen some screen protectors that have kind of a darker tint, and I was just wondering if the PS anti glare also reduces visibility of the screen a little bit.
Power Support's anti-glare is one of the best out there in the industry of anti-glare because the quality and it's made in Japan. A lot of members here swear by them. I've wasted a lot of money and ended dissatisfied with other companies I've tried.

Power Support "anti-glare" reduces visibility a little but you can't tell it's "anti-glare" when you're looking at it on the iPhone.
- It's clear when you'r in front of it. I can't tell I'm using anti-glare and it doesn't give my eyes problems and urge to switch to "crystal".
- It gives a little privacy --- with "crystal" people (or boss at work) can see or read what's you're doing from a good distance.
- Better visibility outdoor in the sun or bright environment.

Apple selected them for a reason...they could carry any screen protector from top companies (Spigen, Invisible Shield, BodyGuardz, Best Skins Ever, Wrapsol, Ghost Armor, etc.).

For myself, Power Support "anti-glare" for the front is my personal favorite since original iPhone (2007).

Power Support was always available in Apple Stores with all previous iPhones at launch date, it beats me why it's unavailable with iPhone 5.

I'm waiting too myself but it's worth the wait, they're cut is always great and no issues with their customer support. They would send me a replacement if I have any issues...just send them a little picture of the issue.

nickyD410

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
got this email last night from Tru protection when i emailed them about when they would ship my screen protector.

Hello Nick,
Thank you for your email regarding your recent pre-order for the iPhone 5 film.
We regret to inform you that due to the overwhelming demand and an unexpected manufacturing delay, the shipping date for the pre-order s of the films from TruProtection is pushed back to early-mid October. We are hoping to get the films in sooner and have it shipped out to you as soon as possible.
To honor your business and appreciation as a customer, we would like to offer those who wish to keep their pre-orders a discount. Please let us know and we will be happy to further assist you with the procedure.
If you wish to cancel your pre-order, please let us know as well and we will reply to you with confirmation. You may also give us a call at 877-342-4159 with all questions, requests and concerns.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

It does make the screen look worse. I ordered the pack that came with anti glare and crystal and I ended up taking the antiglare off and going with the crystal. Comparing my iPhone 4s to others it looked like mine was blurry and the color was off. The anti glare did great with fingerprints but it was not worth messing up the beautiful retina display.

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I've had PowerSupport on my 3G, 4, and 4S (crystal). I have SGP on my 5 right now (Crystal). I can't tell the difference between the two. They are exactly the same. No difference in feel. I've also tried the cheap stuff on eBay and they look like crap after a month. The PS lasted a whole year without any scratches :D My SGP has no scratches after a week of abuse. :) We will see over time though

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Haha, when I copied the image URL from the iPhone 5 Crystal Film on the TruProtection website, it's a powersupportusa URL.

"http://www.powersupportusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/thumbnail/x600/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/i/p/iphone5blackfront_6.png"

Does it really have that square block cut out... ugggh?

iphone5blackfront_6.png

Or this: from PowerSupport's actual website

"http://www.powersupportusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/x600/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/j/pjk02_01_1.jpg"
pjk02_01_1.jpg

Boldman

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Haha, when I copied the image URL from the iPhone 5 Crystal Film on the TruProtection website, it's a powersupportusa URL.

"http://www.powersupportusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/thumbnail/x600/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/i/p/iphone5blackfront_6.png"

Does it really have that square block cut out... ugggh?

Or this: from PowerSupport's actual website

"http://www.powersupportusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/x600/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/j/pjk02_01_1.jpg"

I just received a screen protector from Tru and I was very disappointed because it does indeed have that large cutout as shown in your picture. I am sending it back and looking for something different. I like the power support but the shipping costs to Canada are almost twice what the product costs. I am going to take a look at the product from Clarivue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.