Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Watch your tone and don't be an *******.

The RESPONSES TO the article suggested that people assumed the Korea would be the first country to get it, which of course makes zero sense.

Also, I don't recall other countries launching a major Apple product simultaneously with the US, but I could be wrong.
Well, then why not read the actual article instead of responses? Seriously.

P.S. What's my tone? I just rolled my eyes like that :rolleyes: That's all. There was a neutral tone in the form of bunch of letters. No kidding.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
And as much as I love Apple, this is the thing that annoys me. Is it a good business model? I suppose. But some of the other companies announce their product offerings months in advance (albeit without release dates or prices), just so their customers (and developers) know what's coming. Apple plays everything so close to the vest that customers (like us) are left to speculate on when (or if) a new iPhone will be released, with no official information--no hints, tips, etc.--to point us in the right direction.

Oh, well.

If Apple were to telegraph every move, this site would no longer exist. What would be the fun in that?

___

I am hoping for a late launch. The later the launch, the higher the odds of the iP5 running LTE. I can sit on my hands a bit longer to get a much faster data connection. Data is what modern phones are about.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

False.

You guys do realize apple has been designing this phone for probably a year and a half at this point right?

Design has nothing to do with it. It is a function of availability of parts. If the parts are not being made yet, the phone can't be manufactured. I am hoping Apple is waiting for the second generation LTE chips.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Same here! My AT&T contract ends on my birthday that week too! :D

Nice :D

My AT&T contract ended a long time ago. I simply sell my old iPhone Jailbroken and unlocked on eBay for roughly $400, leaving a difference of roughly $200 for the ~$600 unsubsidized iPhone. No contract means I can say "SAYONARA" to AT&T™ at any time if they decide on screwing over their customers even more.

Riiiight. Because the iPhone launches every FALL, not summer. Hey the iPad 2 is coming out in June! And then another iPad, the iPad 3 is coming in the fall too!

False.

You guys do realize apple has been designing this phone for probably a year and a half at this point right?

WADR, the sarcastic and condescending tone in comments such as above irk me and so many on MacRumors. "False"? "Riiiight?" Are we adults or play school children? Is it really necessary to claim to know exactly what Apple plans on doing so much so that you write statements of such finite veracity that assumes the receiver is ignorant to what you are apparently privy?

Forgive me for the commentary, but those of us who have been on here either reading news or currently commenting in threads are growing weary of the increasing disrespect amongst some members. Tone is difficult to read, keeping that in mind respond to others as though they were complete strangers, with respect and decency. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversin

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2010
forestofillusion.png

And again.. We don't know what to believe. (note the apple trees)

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Design has nothing to do with it. It is a function of availability of parts. If the parts are not being made yet, the phone can't be manufactured. I am hoping Apple is waiting for the second generation LTE chips.

Well yes,..
If the issue is purely the tech just isn't ready then throwing cash at it won't help.....

but Apple has a big horde of Cash so if the issue with the parts is the economic risk of retooling to build them and ramp up production. Then that is something pre-buying maybe able to solve.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
LOL at all the iPhone 4 owner praying that the iPhone 5 come as late as possible.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8G4)

+1 for page 2, perhaps page 3.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
only makes sense if iPhone 5 is:

1/ LTE capable
2/ various components were in short supply for a world-wide launch

lissy-lou

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
According to Korean site ETNews.co.kr, Apple is planning on releasing the iPhone 5 during the 4th week of June. Multiple reports have already revealed

I reckon that this is when the white iPhone 4 will be released with very slight upgrades, and also the black will have the same updates. Still ios 4 and the same design, just some glitches improved. Just to tide people over until the end of fall/2012 for the all new iPhone 5.

I could be completely wrong - but thats just what I think will happen!

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Hmm... still not sure what to make of this will they/won't they talk regarding iPhone 5 "delays"..
Surely they would have to release one this calendar year to stay ahead of (or even just in) the game. But equally, the combination of potential supply chain issues because of the disaster(s) in Japan and the apparent desire to make WWDC more about software this year will certainly push it back a little at least.

I guess as always, we will just have to be patient, and wait and see! :D

macman312

macrumors 6502
There will be a lot of unhappy customers if there isn't a new iPhone this June, people have come to expect a new one every summer.

AGREED or Apple, If you read this the HTC pyramid will probably come out around then (conf nxt tueday) so if they see that then they will get a wriggle on with the production.... If it does come out in june Apple, Please release by July 2 so I can buy it on a new contract
Thanks

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Just a theory, Apple wanted to go over all the new features in iOS 5 and OS 10.7 Lion. That would take about 2 hours. So, either Apple introduce the new iPhone in an event before WWDC or after like end of June. I think end of June is when they have the event. It is also possible that Apple may have an event late May and launch it late June. After all, we did get iPad 2 earlier this year than last year.

Angelchild

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You don't get it. In 2010 they presented iOS 4 in april and released soon after WWDC. Now they say that at WWDC they are going to present the "FUTURE" of iOS.

So they definitely will not release iOS 5 at WWDC.

Angelchild

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Imagine Steve Jobs at the end of June holding the event and saying: "iPhone 5 will be available........TODAY".

Kabooooom!!

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Right that's it, I'm selling my iPhone 4 today and waiting for the new iPhone 5 in June. I knew it was going to happen around the usual time of the iPhone refresh. Thanks.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Will it have 4g lte and a dual core processor.

Now that i think about it the way iOS "multitask" it really doesn't need a Multicore processor

immaculate

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Switzerland
new form factor?

I heard a rumour that it'll be produced in North Korea for a change, with a new form factor based on a jumbo tub of popcorn, running off a standard car battery (leads sold separately). The touchscreen has gone, replaced by a 3-inch dial. Just what I heard: I'm not claiming it's true. Time will tell. My source also says that Safari will definitely be snappier.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I think Apple wanted to avoid people dying of heatstroke waiting in the sun so they where going to release it in the winter. But they didn't think it would be good to see their customers giving them frozen bills. LOL

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Well yes,..
If the issue is purely the tech just isn't ready then throwing cash at it won't help.....

but Apple has a big horde of Cash so if the issue with the parts is the economic risk of retooling to build them and ramp up production. Then that is something pre-buying maybe able to solve.

I think some people are forgetting other elements are involved with the creation of a phone model. Sure, Design has a lot to do with it, as does the supply of parts.

But Apple isn't just some backstreet hack knocking up burgers, reliant on the supply of produce that will match their recipe.

The product releases are scheduled. In the consumer electronics business, the technology needs to progress rapidly, rolling old products into obsoleteness.

Deals related to parts would be in place more than months ahead. Chances are, the iPhone 5 was already beginning testing before the iPhone 4 was released.

Which means, even at prototype level or pre-production sample, the components would have been available long beforehand. You think they knock off 5 million iPhones between announcement date, and release date with complete faith in shipping schedules?

Deals relating to the supply of these parts are made long in advance. Manufacture for the iPhone 5 would have already been getting ramped up, and the need to have the new product available at, or around the existing schedule would be vital. And they wouldn't be taking chances. It's crucial in the IT industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.