Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Samsung purposely does not reveal individual handset sales, so they lump all of their 2.3 third-world sales in with their flagships to give the impression that all their sales are on par with iPhone, which they are not.

Wrong, they say when those models reach milestones.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Some surprisingly high Windows numbers there. Especially GB. I've seen exactly one Windows phone in the wild yet they have 10% :confused:

I would have said the same thing about Android phones 2 years ago, but now they are everywhere.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So what segment do you think it would be appropriate to use for Apple?

One where the numbers are not distorted by the transition from feature phones to smart phones. "Total phone sales" would be a good one, because that market has stayed unchanged since 2007 when the iPhone was introduced. "Total phone revenues" would be a good one, because it doesn't count one $600 sale and one $100 sale and one $20 identically.

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Really? What Innovations does Android have that iOS lacks? Cause one of my coworkers was showing off his Nexus 5 and there wasn't anything that my iPhone 4S can't do.... And some things my 4S can do that his Nexus can't.

I did the Android thing and it was such a poor experience I doubt I'll ever go back. And that was on a new, great, hot Android phone.

How about the ability to send someone a file other than a photo natively, without the aid of an app? Or true multitasking, or external storage, or better maps or nicer screen size, customization, better sharing features, better keyboard choices, visible file system, better notifications, (apple realized this and copied) google now, (Siri is a joke), more free apps, unlock options, shall I go on.....

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You really should know that the whole market is in a multi-year transition from feature phones to smart phones.

Apple's market share in the total phone market has been growing year after year after year.

And "Not as well as many thought"? "Many" or mostly stupid. The 5C isn't going to sell to someone who replaces a $80 feature phone with a $80 Android smart phone. But they are apparently taking quite a few sales away from high-end Android phones, that is in the market where Apple is actually competing. This is like Mercedes coming up with a new car that really appeals to BMW customers. Doesn't matter if the sales are not stellar as long as every buyer is someone switching from BMW.

Could you point me to some "total phone market" stats as I have never seen that discussed here or anywhere else. If Apple's smartphone market share is decreasing, but their "total phone market" is increasing, I'd like to see that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Note3 is selling like 4 to 5 mil per month. S4 is selling like 7 to 8 mil per month. That's like 33-39 mil per quarter high end comparable to ip5/5s.

Let's take the best case scenario for Apple at 50mil per quarter of which 60% are high end giving 30mil. In reality it will be somewhat lower.

Just samsung alone sells more high end than apple. So your car comparison is just nonsense.

Do you have proofs of your numbers ?

All iPhones are "high end" in Apple (and customers) view, so they sell more than Samsung high end ....

The ONLY thing that make android share so high is the huge number of android low cost crapware you can buy for free (or almost free) everywhere.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
You can't even upload a file natively other than photos to your email or on a website on an IOS device!!

The last Samsung Android phone I used on a Mac to transfer files to was a 6 step process just to get the phone to connect and show up on my Mac desktop. Are newer Android phones easier to do this?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
One where the numbers are not distorted by the transition from feature phones to smart phones. "Total phone sales" would be a good one, because that market has stayed unchanged since 2007 when the iPhone was introduced. "Total phone revenues" would be a good one, because it doesn't count one $600 sale and one $100 sale and one $20 identically.

So numbers only count if Apple is ahead? Otherwise they are meaningless?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Why do so many people feel the need to defensively explain these stats away, e.g. saying there are far more different/cheaper Android devices than there are iOS ones? The reason isn't the point - the point is that Apple are losing smartphone OS dominance and with it goes their influence and that's a bad thing for those of us who are staying with our iPhones, for a couple of reasons:

A couple of years ago, the big developers were focussed on iOS, and iPhones got the killer apps that maybe made it onto Android months later, if even at all. But that's changing, developers are going to develop for the largest, most lucrative market first and foremost. I reckon that within the next 1-2 years we're going to be seeing people switching from iOS to Android driven by availability of must-have apps.

Previously, Apple could call the shots. If it introduced a new technology with the latest iPhone it soon became the defacto standard by default; everyone would clamber to embrace it as they couldn't afford not to. But times have changed and developers are no longer seeing iOS technology integration as a "must-have". Take Passbook for example - if iOS was still the dominant mobile OS then we'd have every man and his dog supporting it and it would potentially have become an industry standard across the travel and entertainment sectors. Instead, developers are not seeing the point of incorporating a legacy system that's unique to an OS with a reducing penetration.

Sadly with Android not being as joined up and thus not being in as good a position to exert its influence, I think innovation loses out, even if before hand it could only be Apple's choice of innovation.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Basically. When you have 50 android phoney and 3 iPhones, there will always be more androids out there.

So if Apple would sell 6 models instead of 3, they would double their sales? And triple their sales with 9 models etc? If that's the case why don't they?

I don't think it's that easy. Isn't it that you have a fixed amount of people wanting a phone and they just have more to choose from when it comes to Android models? If you are going to buy a phone and decides for Apple, you won't buy 3 phones, right? And if you decide to go Android you don't buy 50.

Just because they have a larger number of models doesn't necessary mean they will sell more. The only thing it means is that if they totally sell a certain number of phones they will sell less out of every specific single model than if you compare the model breakdown from an Apple sale of the same total number.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The strategy outside of the USA needs work, Apple

I'd say it does.

Apple favors only high markets at their events, not the markets where it nees work

I dunno why, but it makes customers a false high hopes in that "look how well Apple is doing". Ya, on,y inside the U.S, but what about outside??

There are Apple Stores everywhere else, not just home base. Apple should be realy factoring this in and remove the "Only inside the U.S" text in their pie charts. Its really a bad way.

Unlike Dell, or MS, who says it globally, which IS actually a true representation of how many users. Markt share being less outside is not a factor.... Its still nit true

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
$550, $650, $750 price points can't compete with a $200 Android with an SD card slot.

This pretty much covers it. The iPhone is more expensive with no real benefit when Android and Windows Phone can do exactly the same stuff for less and more expandability.

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The last Samsung Android phone I used on a Mac to transfer files to was a 6 step process just to get the phone to connect and show up on my Mac desktop. Are newer Android phones easier to do this?

For one, I am talking about sending a file from your phone to someone electronically, You cannot send any file you want in your file system from IOS other than a photo via email or the web. And you cannot access the file system of your IOS device to any computer without some sort of 3rd party app. I simply plug my phone into my computer and I can see the entire file system internal and external drives.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
Usage vs Shipments

Some surprisingly high Windows numbers there. Especially GB. I've seen exactly one Windows phone in the wild yet they have 10% :confused:

This come back to my previous post. These market share numbers should be about increases in actual devices in use vs how many devices a manufacturer shipped into the sales channel. If that was the case for Apple they would be Selling (shipping) 2.5M iPhone 5Ss per week (FoxConn only).

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-making-more-iphones-than-ever-2013-11

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

The integration between iOS and OS X is probably unparalleled. By contrast, if you do not own a Mac, organising your files on an iPhone can be a painful task, precisely because it has no file management aside from iCloud or iTunes sync.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why do so many people feel the need to defensively explain these stats away, e.g. saying there are far more different/cheaper Android devices than there are iOS ones? The reason isn't the point - the point is that Apple are losing smartphone OS dominance and with it goes their influence and that's a bad thing for those of us who are staying with our iPhones, for a couple of reasons:

A couple of years ago, the big developers were focussed on iOS and iPhones got the killer apps that maybe made it onto Android months later, if even at all. But that's changing, developers are going to develop for the largest market first and foremost.

Previously, Apple could call the shots. If it introduced a new technology with the latest iPhone it soon became the defacto standard by default; everyone would clamber to embrace it as they couldn't afford not to. But times have changed and developers are no longer seeing iOS technology integration as a "must-have". Take Passbook for example - if iOS was still the dominant mobile OS then we'd have every man and his dog supporting it and it would potentially have become an industry standard across the travel and entertainment sectors. Instead, developers are not seeing the point of incorporating a legacy system that's unique to an OS with a reducing penetration.

Sadly with Android not being as joined up and thus not being in as good a position to exert its influence, I think innovation loses out, even if before hand it could only be Apple's choice of innovation.

I really don't see it as a bad thing with Apple losing market share, it's never been what they are about. They sell over 100 million phones a year, I don't think we are in danger of losing developers anytime in the near future. Over time it will be interesting to see if the whole Mac vs Windows thing plays out again.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
So what segment do you think it would be appropriate to use for Apple?

Take, for example, s4 sales and compare with iPhone 5s .... But you can't, because Samsung is hiding individual sales on purpose to mask their market share, based primary on a dozen of crappy cheap smartphones .... Ooh yes, they are android phones and they cost almost nothing to Samsung, so profits are good, but they are in another league from iPhones ...

iPhone vs smartphones is an absolutely useless analysis ....

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Look at this another way.

If Verizon, AT&T and Sprint announce that it will drop phone subsidies altogether and move in line with T-Mobile, how big of a drop would Apple stock price be?

In this hypothetical world, people will pay for the phone and the wireless service separately.

Phone can be purchased either up front or in monthly installments (24 months in T-Mobile case). For example, $99 down payment with $22 a month for 24 months to purchase the device.

iphone 5s would be $650 (selling at very high profit margin)

vs

Nexus 5 at $349 (selling at very low profit margin)

vs

Moto G at $199 (selling at very low profit margin)

It's easy to see which phone market share will go up and which phone market share will go down.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I bet Toyota sells a lot more cars than Ferrari. I highly doubt Ferrari cares how much cars Toyota are selling. That's basically the analogy going on here. A lot of these people weren't going to purchase an iOS device anyways (assumption). Toyota sales don't imply a loss of Ferrari sales. Android sales don't imply a loss of iOS sales.

A lot of people try to upsell apple here. In no way shape or form is apple like Ferrari. Apple's products are meant for the mainstream consumer market. There is no way Ferrari will ever make it to the mainstream (top 20 cars sold). A better analogy would be Toyota (android) vs BMW (iOS). BMW would most certainly care about toyota's performance (or, more specifically, Lexus). The galaxy S4, moto X, htc one, etc. those are the Lexus androids. They compete directly with iPhones (BMW).

Now the Ferrari of smartphones would be those $7,000 diamond studded androids those luxury brands are making.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
So if Apple would sell 6 models instead of 3, they would double their sales? And triple their sales with 9 models etc? If that's the case why don't they?

I don't think it's that easy. Isn't it that you have a fixed amount of people wanting a phone and they just have more to choose from when it comes to Android models? If you are going to buy a phone and decides for Apple, you won't buy 3 phones, right? And if you decide to go Android you don't buy 50.

Just because they have a larger number of models doesn't necessary mean they will sell more. The only thing it means is that if they totally sell a certain number of phones they will sell less out of every specific single model than if you compare the model breakdown from an Apple sale of the same total number.

Maybe, but when you look at the vast majority of consumers, most are not tech-inclined. They will see about 50 android options to choose from when they walk into a store and maybe only 2 iPhones. The iPhones will normally be priced out of their range. You can easily find a good number of android phones for less than $200 out of contract, hell there are plenty of cheap prepaid options for less than $50 at your local walmart/target. You can get an iPhone for free yes, but a lot of people who buy prepaid can't afford that because they dont have the credit to sign a contract. The fact that android has a lot of different models means they can basically target every single point of the consumer base, from a niche market to the typical consumer. Apple doesn't target the niche, they only target the mainstream consumer. If apple made 10 different phones at 10 different price points targeting different points in the consumer base, then yeah you bet their market share would rise.

Why was nokia so successful before Apple? There were always at least 10+ different nokia models alone. Same thing with samsung, it is the #1 android phone, and why? they have like 10 different models nobody can keep track of.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Take, for example, s4 sales and compare with iPhone 5s .... But you can't, because Samsung is hiding individual sales on purpose to mask their market share, based primary on a dozen of crappy cheap smartphones .... Ooh yes, they are android phones and they cost almost nothing to Samsung, so profits are good, but they are in another league from iPhones ...

iPhone vs smartphones is an absolutely useless analysis ....

So you'd like to see phones compared model vs model? I think that would be interesting to see too. iPhone competes in the smartphone market regardless of how many models Samsung or anyone else sells, of the comparison is valid, IMO.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Yep, the Galaxy flagships are plug and play.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
i find this article very biased toward apple..
apple's market share shrunk basically everywhere in the world, with few minor exceptions. it's not my opinion, is in the chart above!
furthermore, the cut in production of the iphone 5c was reported several times in other past news, so how can the report justify that this same model helped broaden apple's share? (ok, i know this may be subjected to interpretation, so i won't say more).
the "bounce" they claim in sales is only due to the fact that people naturally wait for the new model to come out, so sales typically drop in the months prior to a new announcement. we've seen it many years, so it's nothing to get excited about.

ps.
what i find most sad is how some people want to hear that a company is selling great, to justify their purchases and feel comforted that they indeed took the right choice...
where's your pride and self-worth gone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.