Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Why is it called a pre-order? It's an order. A pre-order would be something you do before you order something.

Actually, to pre-order is to order an item prior to it being available to just pick up... have you never pre-ordered a book off of Amazon that hasn't been released yet?

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The case holes faux-pas was deliberate.

The 5C was affectionately known by its "creators" as 'Hon' (Honey) and they very cleverly lined up the holes for it to read such. It's no accident.

So lets not hear any more naysaying.

Garish is good!

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Oh Please. They short it, they buy it back, and then buy more and laugh all the way to the bank next time like last time. None of what they do has anything to do with the merits of the product to the consumers who will buy them. They're rolling the dice as usual, that's all.

Oh please - for those who want one regardless opinion will always be swayed.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I called Verizon to check on something about my account a couple hours ago and told me that I could just preorder the 5S this friday instead of waiting in line next friday and I said to her "are you sure you aren't talking about the 5C" and she told me that yes, both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C are available for preorder this Friday the 13th

You didn't actually believe her, did you??

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
The case holes faux-pas was deliberate.

The 5C was affectionately known by its "creators" as 'Hon' (Honey) and they very cleverly lined up the holes for it to read such. It's no accident.

So lets not hear any more naysaying.

Garish is good!

It's not even "hon" .. more like "non" because it's asymmetrical. Not even a golden ratio.

So please stop this pseudo intellectualism.

They just want holes in the last minutes, so they snap in any polka-dots pattern and BOOM .. it's a mess up.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I do not LIKE the look of the 5S. I want the 5C. I have a 4S. It's a big spec bump even if it's half the storage space (and I have a 32GB iPod touch to solve that issue, not minding carrying around an extra mobile in my handbag). So this time out, I pay $200 insead of usually paying $400 for the top of the line upgrade. I do not currently need the fingerprint sensor or the extra power of the A7 chip although I'm thrilled they've got 64-bit processing on board, I'll catch it with the 6 or 6S. To me this 5C is a very nice upgrade. It's circumstantial, and it's personal preference. 'Nuf said! :)

Ok, regardless you keep saying you are paying 200$ for the 5C and 400$ for the 5S in a completely oblivious way. A 200$ 5c is 32gigs and a 300$ 5S is 32Gigs.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Oh please - for those who want one regardless opinion will always be swayed.

Look at the track record. If you just bought a pile of the stock at 10 or 13 or whatever, and hung onto it, you'd have way nice profits you could tap into now and then and still have plenty stock left to hang onto for the next roller coaster ride. But then there's no drama of SELL, SELL! no, BUY, BUY!! (which appeals to plenty of people, I realize). And in Wall Street as in the mainstream media, they like to build stuff up and then tear it down, otherwise it's ever so boring to work there.

How is any of that related to people deciding they like a product and will buy it? And that is what keeps happening with Apple's rollouts. Yeah, they miss once in awhile, sure. I think that tie clasp shuffle maybe didn't sell really well, although I like mine and use it a lot. But so what if they miss here and there. Think back to the original iPod rollout. You could just tell that Apple was onto something huge. And yet, as with the iPad, and the iPad mini, there was all this pooh-poohing in the media and on the Street. It sells papers, and it galvanizes the markets. That's all it does. It does not deter people from lining up to buy the thing if they want it. Hundreds of millions of devices have rung up on the cash registers since the iPod (or the ibook even, what the heck) and still we have the death knell every time Apple does a launch. No wonder a lot of the regular MacRumors members just stay away from the forums during launch periods! This recycling of the shadow of death gets pretty old. ;)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ok, regardless you keep saying you are paying 200$ for the 5C and 400$ for the 5S in a completely oblivious way. A 200$ 5c is 32gigs and a 300$ 5S is 32Gigs.

Hello... if I got the 5S I would go for the $400 64GB one, not the 32GB one. When I get the top end, I get the largest one. I am electing to get the 32GB 5C for $200 this time around. So I am paying $200 less than I usually shell out when I upgrade. The reason I am getting the 5C is not about the money, it's that I don't like the 5S and don't require its spec right now and do like the 5C and do want the spec bump from my 4S. This upgrade from 4S to 5C, to me, is worth paying $200 plus a new contract.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I have a feeling we're underestimating the 5c sales. It will be interesting to hear how well it has sold later!

I recall searching for "iPhone 5c" on Twitter soon after the press conference just to get a quick look into the reactions, expecting people to be outraged, but instead seeing teens and 20-somethings (especially women) going kind of crazy about it. If it's something colorful people want, the 5c delivers. This has been a weak spot in the past for Apple (when it comes to smartphones). However, I would personally have much preferred the iPod touch colors along with an iPhone 5c (PRODUCT) RED edition. I love those iPod colors to the point I don't know which I like most!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Clearly everyone at Apple were looking the other way when that case was being designed.

What's with the holes anyway? They serve no purpose and look crap. Plus it's just a huge invitation for dust and grit to get under there, rendering the cases use, erm, useless.

This case couldn't have been any more of a fail if they'd tried.

Good thing is no one has to buy it. :)

----------

Apple should offer a 4.5-4.7" version and keep the current 4" skinny version. Only moving up marginally (4.3") will cause the same negative reaction as the iPhone 5 only being slightly bigger then the 4S.

by then the 4S should be phased out, I can't believe they're still keeping it around, especially how it can't handle iOS 7 nearly as well as the iPhone 5

and people need to realize it's CHEAPER for Apple to make the 5C then a 5 because of the cheap plastic, had they kept the same iPhone 5 it would have been priced exactly the same way. The color gimmick is just to save $$ and increase those profit margins which Apple loves (like why they still charge $299 for 32GB)
How do you know it's cheap plastic? Have you held one in your hand. Or in your mind does all plastic = cheap?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
VZ is selling the 5 (not 5C or 5S) for $99.

Unless I am missing something, if you are upgrading from a 4 or 4S, the 5 makes more sense than a 5C (same price, capacity, screen size, performance, but less fruity and toy-like).

I am not sure if apple thought the 5C completely through here...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's another point with the 5C - why does it still have a screen which sits proud (as the 5 did), it looks like a poor fit! The plastic case could have had a chamfered top edge that sat neatly in line with the screen. Seems to me Apple are starting to get sloppy - Steve Jobs may not have been the designer but I bet he kept all this kind of thing in check, without him they just don't seem to be trying as hard.

Go check out first hand reviews/impressions of the 5C from those who were at the event and got to see one in person. Here's an example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/...s_semi&utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

Apple continually mentioned during its event that it's "unapologetic" about the plastic build, and deservedly so — not only does it feel great, it's the most solid polycarbonate build that we've ever laid hands on. There is absolutely nothing about this setup that makes us believe it's not capable of handling a full share of wear and tear, and the reinforced steel frame convinces us that it's even going to survive falls without a problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714074/apple-iphone-5c-hands-on-pictures-video

It's actually a bit surprising how high-end Apple's made the plastic phone feel, though it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the new 5s, which is far more premium and attractive. The 5c is almost like a toy, a rugged, comfortable device that doesn't feel much heavier than the iPhone 5 despite being noticeably larger ...the device feels far better than Samsung's or LG's plastic options.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/10/hands-on-iphone-5c/

The iPhone [5C] performs terrifically, and looks fantastic. The colors really pop, and the case fits solidly in the hand and thanks to a slightly rubberized feel it should be easier to hold onto than any previous iPhone as well. ...I’m maybe most impressed by how light and yet solid the iPhone 5C feels. While it may not quite live up to the ultra-luxe metal and glass feel of the iPhone 5 and now 5C, it doesn’t feel like a cheap device; this is a premium phone, despite the price tag and somewhat older internals.

juanmanas

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Steve is turning over in his grave after knowing that his “iPhone” turned to be “hon”

I usually criticise those who say "this wouldn't happen with Steve", but in this case, its true. Not only the combination is plain awful, but some details are really anti-apple. Its like the Iphone wording partially covered by the case...its just dodgy...

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
What I don't understand is that the 5C was supposed to be a low-cost iPhone, yet it's sold at $599 ($100 less than the 5S). So the difference is $599 vs. $699.

Is that price gap really significant enough to warrant a new product line at all?! I don't get it. The 5C seems a pointless product to me that solves no specific need.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Go check out first hand reviews/impressions of the 5C from those who were at the event and got to see one in person. Here's an example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/...s_semi&utm_source=engadget&utm_medium=twitter

Apple continually mentioned during its event that it's "unapologetic" about the plastic build, and deservedly so — not only does it feel great, it's the most solid polycarbonate build that we've ever laid hands on. There is absolutely nothing about this setup that makes us believe it's not capable of handling a full share of wear and tear, and the reinforced steel frame convinces us that it's even going to survive falls without a problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714074/apple-iphone-5c-hands-on-pictures-video

It's actually a bit surprising how high-end Apple's made the plastic phone feel, though it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the new 5s, which is far more premium and attractive. The 5c is almost like a toy, a rugged, comfortable device that doesn't feel much heavier than the iPhone 5 despite being noticeably larger ...the device feels far better than Samsung's or LG's plastic options.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/10/hands-on-iphone-5c/

The iPhone [5C] performs terrifically, and looks fantastic. The colors really pop, and the case fits solidly in the hand and thanks to a slightly rubberized feel it should be easier to hold onto than any previous iPhone as well. ...I’m maybe most impressed by how light and yet solid the iPhone 5C feels. While it may not quite live up to the ultra-luxe metal and glass feel of the iPhone 5 and now 5C, it doesn’t feel like a cheap device; this is a premium phone, despite the price tag and somewhat older internals.

Nah, that wasn't my point really - I've got no problem with plastic (or polycarbonate) and I actually prefer it to the aluminium for its purpose since I don't use a case and it's far more durable, not to mention not having to have external antennae.

My problem is purely the fit of the screen, it sits proud of the case and to be fair this is the same with the 5/5s, why can't it fit flush? Originally I thought it was because they'd planned to use a thinner Izgo screen but it didn't materialize in time, now I just think it's sloppy design.

hero_sequence_keyframe.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What I don't understand is that the 5C was supposed to be a low-cost iPhone, yet it's sold at $599 ($100 less than the 5S). So the difference is $599 vs. $699.

Is that price gap really significant enough to warrant a new product line at all?! I don't get it. The 5C seems a pointless product to me that solves no specific need.

When did Apple say the 5C was supposed to be a low cost phone? Whether it should be or not, I'm not aware of Apple ever saying that. Wall Street said it, some tech pundits might have said it but not Apple. Seems pretty clear that the "C" stands for color, and Apple was going for product differentiation.

Maybe Apple should have made the 5C with 4S internals and sold it for really cheap instead of replacing the iPhone 5 with it. Maybe because its colored plastic and not aluminum it should be cheaper than it is. But the fact is Apple never told Wall Street or anyone else they were making a low cost phone. The proof will be in the sales figures. If people aren't buying the 5C because they think its too expensive the price will drop. It's not like Apple hasn't lowered prices on things before. Apple TV, original iPhone and MacBook Air come to mind.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
the profit margins on the 5c are so great that apple wont even let us preorder the 5s. 5c=over priced plastic

apple could of just lowered the price of the 5 by $100 instead of making a "new" phone
but the profit margins on the 5c are much more than the 5 at the same price point

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nah, that wasn't my point really - I've got no problem with plastic (or polycarbonate) and I actually prefer it to the aluminium for its purpose since I don't use a case and it's far more durable, not to mention not having to have external antennae.

My problem is purely the fit of the screen, it sits proud of the case and to be fair this is the same with the 5/5s, why can't it fit flush? Originally I thought it was because they'd planned to use a thinner Izgo screen but it didn't materialize in time, now I just think it's sloppy design.

Well I can't comment until I see one in person. I guess I never noticed it on my 5.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I assume there's no pre-order for the 5s because supply is going to be constrained.

Also, why is everyone freaking out over the 5c? The year behind model has been a HOT seller for Apple. The price is the same as its always been. All they're doing is rebranding that spot in the lineup and giving it its own identity.

Regarding the colors being ugly, that's 100% subjective. Apple's played with colors for years now, I'd trust their data on what they think people will like, over what armchair CEO's in forums think the public will like.

You'll also notice they're not just releasing one phone in day glo orange. There's an assortment. If you don't like orange you can have blue, if you don't like blue you can have white.

There's been talk, speculation, suggestion about Apple releasing multicolored iPhones for years now. Now they're here and people complain saying its such a dumb move. I think people just like to complain.

Exactly!

I get so confused with people saying how the phone is X hundered dollars over priced. How is that calculated? Its an iphone 5 with a plastic back and some internal changes. If they kept the iphone 5 like they used to, it would be priced in a similar way, so how is this phone which requires new tooling, new materials, new packaging, new marketing, and recovery of R&D spent on designing the phone - any more over priced than the previous method of "last years phone"?

Its obviously priced about right materials cost a little less, but there are other expesnes to recover. Its just that all the analysts and forums talked up a "cheap" iphone being released. They made that up, Apple didnt say they were designing a cheap phone. Then Apple release something, but it doesnt meet the expectations that people created themselves based on this imaginary "cheap iphone" concept, and all of a sudden apple has missed the mark?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.