Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
That suggested recalibration procedure seems highly suspect to me. Prepare to be disappointed. I will hold out hope for a software solution, but as others have pointed out, the results are all over the map, so a hardware solution seems more likely. How am I going to get this thing out of this Apple case now? It's really in there. I think they'll have to replace the case too.

Work it out at the bottom first, where there is no sleep/wake button, then slip the top out..

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
You'd think they'd have a calibration option like the Galaxy range of phones. Lay it flat and tap the screen, it counts down from 3 as it logs the sensors and done, it's zeroed. Provided the surface you use is dead flat and know to be so I guess it's still not completely accurate.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I got my gold iPhone 5s today. Gryo reporting -2 most of the time. iPhone 5 reports 0.

Can't apple just issue an update to the compass app that lets us calibrate it on a surface known to be perfectly flat?

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
The calibration procedure did not effect the results of either the compass or level. Back to square one :(

nooj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Mine is off of by 2 degrees so I called apple support regarding this issue, they told me to go the the genius bar to get it looked at. So I went there and they said I can get the phone replaced, but I just need to go to the carrier store from which I got it.

So I went there and checked the replacement phone before I exchanged it and it was off by 4 degrees, checked another replacement phone and it was off by 3 degrees. Decided to just keep my current phone and call apple or just wait till there is some sort of statement regarding the issue.

Seems like it is quite widespread.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Yup my level on my iPhone 5s that I just got yesterday (it was shipped right from China on Monday) seems to be off by -5 degrees on a surface that my iPhone 4S showed to be level.

KSean

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
As I posted in the other thread before it was locked, this issue also affects my 5S; it's off my -4 degrees. I've submitted a report on the Apple feedback page.

Production year: 2013
Production week: 36 (September)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: C3 (China)

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
The calibration procedure did not effect the results of either the compass or level. Back to square one :(

Yeah the DND charging thing to reset sensor is a load of BS I dont beleve I bothered trying it :)

----------

As I posted in the other thread before it was locked, this issue also affects my 5S; it's off my -4 degrees. I've submitted a report on the Apple feedback page.

Production year: 2013
Production week: 36 (September)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 64GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: C3 (China)

I have the exact same info as you and off by 1.

As somone mentioned earlier the fix will need to be by some sort of calibration app where each phone is calibrated by the user.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Filed a bug report. Annoying, I'm filing a bug report for iphone. The only choice for OS is mac or windows. My iphone is not running OSX or Windows.:mad:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Also want to mention, the first time I ran the compass app, I had to spin the little ball to calibrate it. I'm suprised no one else is mentioning this? Perhaps we all spin the ball with a uniform inconsistency?

This would perhaps be determined by comparing the level values between left and right handed people.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Mine is off of by 2 degrees so I called apple support regarding this issue, they told me to go the the genius bar to get it looked at. So I went there and they said I can get the phone replaced, but I just need to go to the carrier store from which I got it.

So I went there and checked the replacement phone before I exchanged it and it was off by 4 degrees, checked another replacement phone and it was off by 3 degrees. Decided to just keep my current phone and call apple or just wait till there is some sort of statement regarding the issue.

Seems like it is quite widespread.

Wait - if there is a warranty issue, Apple sent you back to the carrier store for a replacement, rather than replacing at the Genius Bar?

I ask because the 5S is the first iPhone I have ever bought at a carrier store (all others were at an Apple Store), and my AT&T receipt states clearly that I have to go to Apple for all warranty issues. I assumed that meant replacements as well - not that Apple would need to authorize a replacement but I'd still need to trek to the AT&T store to get the actual device replacement done.

Thanks for any insight you (or anyone else) can provide. I not only have the gyro issue but also a very loose power/lock button.

Mike

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
My 5s is only off by -1 on a flat surface, so it's certainly nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over...

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Was playing with my compass last night, and I noticed in one orientation, it is pretty accurate (north points where north is). If I turn the phone 180 degrees, north points about 25 degrees west of where it points in the other orientation. Very bizarre. Of course, I never actually use the compass, so it's not much of an issue, but as I noted earlier in the thread, my accelerometer is 2 degrees off of level as well like most others here. Hope Apple has a fix soon. If it's a hardware issue, I'm not too concerned either, as I will just go in once they have full stock available with fixed hardware and do a swap then. Though, a software correction would be better.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Somebody was wrong at the apple store unless att does it in the first 14 days?
Wait - if there is a warranty issue, Apple sent you back to the carrier store for a replacement, rather than replacing at the Genius Bar?

I ask because the 5S is the first iPhone I have ever bought at a carrier store (all others were at an Apple Store), and my AT&T receipt states clearly that I have to go to Apple for all warranty issues. I assumed that meant replacements as well - not that Apple would need to authorize a replacement but I'd still need to trek to the AT&T store to get the actual device replacement done.

Thanks for any insight you (or anyone else) can provide. I not only have the gyro issue but also a very loose power/lock button.

Mike

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
My 5s shows -3 laying flat, but the level seems correct. It says 0 like it should. The compass seems to pointing the correct direction, but I have no way to know for sure.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
FYI Apple didn't slip in a silent auto calibration fix with 7.0.2 but I would not expect them to this early even if it can be done. Just thought I would save everyone from testing it.

Mrphildog

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Same problem here. -3 lying on back. On short edge on same surface shows 0, on long edge shows 3 or -3.

Same on 7.0.1 and 7.0.2

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
I was able to finally line up an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, and 5S and the 5C and 5S are both off by a lot.

The other phones were within 1 degree on the compass and all showed 0 degrees on a flat surface. The 5C was off by 2 degrees on a flat surface, and 31 degrees on the compass, my 5S is off by 3 degrees flat, and 39 degrees on the compass.

fwiw

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
iPhone 5: -3
iPhone 5S: -2

Guess I'm not really sure how this impacts others as I never noticed an issue on my iPhone 5...

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
iPhone 5: 0°
iPhone 5s: -3°

I'll just wait for a software patch, or see if they end up doing a quiet recall of affected devices. I'm not much of a gamer except for Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380217879.673639.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.