Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Just had my first BSOD. I'm running iOS 7.0.3. Only had this iPhone 5S for 4 days. Installed from backup, then updated to 7.0.3. Was in messages at the time of the crash. Screen went completely blue but seemed to have two different tones of blue. Didn't have BSOD on previous iPhone 5S (which I used for 2 weeks before returning to store).

I can't seem to replicate the error so could just be a one off. The threads involving BSOD seemed to have died down so here's hoping that the error is fixed. Think I will reset device and setup as a new device if I get the BSOD again, just so I can rule out any errors that in my backup.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have been having 1 or 2 springboard crashes a week(where you get the apple logo) on my 5S even with 7.0.3. I have been using the same back up for years so I decided it was time to do some house cleaning. I did a complete restore of 7.0.3 then set up the phone as new. It took me a couple of hours to get everything the way I want it but I have managed to free up a lot of space and have about 50 apps vs 200 I hardly used. If it happens again I will just wait until the next update to see if that helps. I did have the systems settings crashes a couple of times but I hear thats pretty common.

Just had my first BSOD. I'm running iOS 7.0.3. Only had this iPhone 5S for 4 days. Installed from backup, then updated to 7.0.3. Was in messages at the time of the crash. Screen went completely blue but seemed to have two different tones of blue. Didn't have BSOD on previous iPhone 5S (which I used for 2 weeks before returning to store).

I can't seem to replicate the error so could just be a one off. The threads involving BSOD seemed to have died down so here's hoping that the error is fixed. Think I will reset device and setup as a new device if I get the BSOD again, just so I can rule out any errors that in my backup.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hmmm I have not have a single crash yet. Though I am not a huge app user

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I really think this is a software issue b/c it only happens when I'm doing particular things like multitasking. But this weekend I realized that every time I would try to look at a change to one of my passbooks tickets, the phone would reboot. I would get a gate or time change for my boarding pass and sure enough, the phone would reboot...

jason330i

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
updated to 7.0.3 and seems to crash more frequently than before.

did a restore as new, still crashes.

:(

vanasian

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2013
Mine set up as new and mine still crashes everyday. I really hope Apple will solve this problem soon. It's very annoying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 93

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
I really think this is a software issue b/c it only happens when I'm doing particular things like multitasking. But this weekend I realized that every time I would try to look at a change to one of my passbooks tickets, the phone would reboot. I would get a gate or time change for my boarding pass and sure enough, the phone would reboot...

I'm not necessarily so sure that it is software related. By the time I was on my third 5s I was beginning to think you guys proclaiming software as the problem were on to something, and when that one BSOD'd on me and Apple sent me into the store to get my 4th 5s, I was almost entirely sure that it must be software and had resigned myself to having problems until software patches/ firmware upgrades were released.

But, I've had this 5s now for almost three weeks--a record for me and the 5s, and not a problem. It's smooth and responsive. I get the occasional app crash (Facebook is particularly notorious) back to the home screen, but no Apple logos, no BSOD. It's lovely.

I see now that Apple is admitting a manufacturing defect with a select number of 5s handsets regarding battery performance, and they are issuing a recall for those affected handsets. Is it also then not out of the realm of possibility that there is a similar defect affecting system stability? Or perhaps even the same defect? I know the phones I had replaced all had ridiculously short battery life, but having come from a 4S, I wasn't sure how normal that was. This one performs well in battery life. I'd recommend if you're having multiple BSOD crashes that you contact Apple. It worked for me. I ran on 7.0.2 for two weeks no problem, and have been on 7.0.3 for 1 week, again no problem. Exchanging phones out worked for me and resolved all of my issues. I'm not doing anything different in my usage of the phone either (aside from having weather's background refresh turned off). Set it up off my backup, keep lots of apps open at a time, use multitasking extensively, all the trouble spots that seem to cause typical BSOD issues--no problems! :) Good luck guys!

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I'm not necessarily so sure that it is software related. By the time I was on my third 5s I was beginning to think you guys proclaiming software as the problem were on to something, and when that one BSOD'd on me and Apple sent me into the store to get my 4th 5s, I was almost entirely sure that it must be software and had resigned myself to having problems until software patches/ firmware upgrades were released.

But, I've had this 5s now for almost three weeks--a record for me and the 5s, and not a problem. It's smooth and responsive. I get the occasional app crash (Facebook is particularly notorious) back to the home screen, but no Apple logos, no BSOD. It's lovely.

I see now that Apple is admitting a manufacturing defect with a select number of 5s handsets regarding battery performance, and they are issuing a recall for those affected handsets. Is it also then not out of the realm of possibility that there is a similar defect affecting system stability? Or perhaps even the same defect? I know the phones I had replaced all had ridiculously short battery life, but having come from a 4S, I wasn't sure how normal that was. This one performs well in battery life. I'd recommend if you're having multiple BSOD crashes that you contact Apple. It worked for me. I ran on 7.0.2 for two weeks no problem, and have been on 7.0.3 for 1 week, again no problem. Exchanging phones out worked for me and resolved all of my issues. I'm not doing anything different in my usage of the phone either (aside from having weather's background refresh turned off). Set it up off my backup, keep lots of apps open at a time, use multitasking extensively, all the trouble spots that seem to cause typical BSOD issues--no problems! :) Good luck guys!
But if it were to be hardware, how is it that some older phones that never had had a problem all of the sudden are rebooting once they installed ios7? I don't get the bsod anymore, that was an apple app problem, but I do still have the reboots...

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Also it seems to be even more common with the 5s due to 64 bit most likely. Even anandtechs review of the ipad air said he had it crash a few times. I think over time apple will stabilize ios7 and developers will update the apps that are crashing. I would not be quick to run out and swap the device because of a reboot etc just yet.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I've had my iPhone 5S 64gb for 13 days and no blue screen or crash so far.

Everything has been perfect.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I've had mine since launch and it crashes exactly like the OP described. Usually in camera or Safari.

It bounces back quickly, so I am writing it off to new OS plus new hardware growing pains.

I restored from a 5 that was running iOS7, so I don't think that's the issue.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Had another Springboard crash today after more than a week without one. I had double tapped home to switch apps, accidentally closed the task switcher and double tapped home again and it crashed.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
But if it were to be hardware, how is it that some older phones that never had had a problem all of the sudden are rebooting once they installed ios7? I don't get the bsod anymore, that was an apple app problem, but I do still have the reboots...

Planned obsolescence on the older phones. Simple as that. I have no reboots on my 4th 5s now, period. (and by reboots I mean apple logo and eventual return to home screen). Just my experience. It can't be simply software or everyone running the same software on the same hardware would have the same problems. Many people are not having those problems. That would lend credence to hardware or manufacturing defects.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Planned obsolescence on the older phones. Simple as that. I have no reboots on my 4th 5s now, period. (and by reboots I mean apple logo and eventual return to home screen). Just my experience. It can't be simply software or everyone running the same software on the same hardware would have the same problems. Many people are not having those problems. That would lend credence to hardware or manufacturing defects.

Or that it is used differently by people. It usually only resprings when strained, so heavy users would see this while others don't.

Jahacopo2221

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Richmond, VA
Or that it is used differently by people. It usually only resprings when strained, so heavy users would see this while others don't.
I use my phone nonstop for several hours a day, multiple apps running at a time. Last night I checked it and had about 30 different apps running at the same time, including facebook (a huge memory suck) and safari with 10 pages open. Pretty sure I tax mine pretty heavily, lol. ;)

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
iPhone 5s Crashing

For me I've only ever seen my phone crash when double tapping home to switch back and forth between apps rapidly. I do that very often and it crashes maybe once a week.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yes iPhone 5S has actually less available memory than the 5 due to 64 bit apps using more RAM. So it crashes more.

Expect the same on new iPads.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I use my phone nonstop for several hours a day, multiple apps running at a time. Last night I checked it and had about 30 different apps running at the same time, including facebook (a huge memory suck) and safari with 10 pages open. Pretty sure I tax mine pretty heavily, lol. ;)

And the phone should be able to support that. I have always used the phone the same way since multitasking became available.
I still think it may be due to software, but to be on the safe side, I just swapped mine. We'll see what happens.:eek:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I set up the phone as new monday and have had settings crash and last night I got a springboard crash. Im still pretty confident it is software at this point and will give Apple time to sort it out before I go to the genius bar. I don't have any kernel panics in the logs which are usually indicative of a hardware issue. Also the phone is not completely shutting off or doing a full reboot which can also be a hardware issue. Its just the springboard crash once or twice a week. I guess it depends on a combination off stuff your doing so that explained why some have it more then others and some none at all. Who knows as I cannot replicate it. It happened last night when I pulled down the menu from the top.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
So my new replacement phone just resprung when I was multitasking...
Grant it I had to really, really strain the phone, but it surely resprung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.