Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Will AAPL sell my fingerprint data linked to my identity to other company, PRISM, NSA, ETC. so they can identify me and trace me anytime i touch any of the camouflaged fingerprint readers they will hide all over door knobs, benches, taps, politician handshakes and toilet flushes ?

No need to. The Illuminati have that kind of data already. You're being watched. You're being followed.

Actually, you have just exposed one of their great secrets: fingerprint readers hidden in toilet flushers. The Illuminatus Primus herself was very upset. Friendly advice: RUN!

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
yeah man. because street hoods are all about the spy shops. theyll be sure to wear gloves and keep it out of their pockets, too.

geeze. do you people really worry about this stuff??

Honestly, there's a few shops here in the Detroit area, which provides access to some crazy items. Maybe not all street hoods, but a lot of thieves are more than common hoods. And a good number of them with half a brain could probably figure it out (not all of them are idiots). If a thief's options were not being able to sell a stolen phone cause it couldn't be unlocked or reset vs spending 10 minutes dusting it for a print and unlocking it, and resetting it, and then selling it for a chunk of change, why wouldn't they?

But your probably right. I'm sure every thief is a blithering idiot and I'm sure none of them have ever figured out anything intelligent like how to build a fake card reader that sits over a ATM machine and captures your info and pin when your run it through, or a magnetic reader that reads the info off of the chip in a credit card (UK) by just being near it, or even a machine to clone cell phone signals and chips so they could be replicated. All those news reports of billions of dollars in stolen card info each year must be fake, because every thief is a moron in your opinion, and no devices like that have EVER been created or existed in the history of crime, right? Oh? Wait..... :rolleyes:

----------

2 Hr before the First iPhone 5S its sold someone will upload a video to youtube teaching how to defeat it...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yup! This. ^^^

I'd be willing to put a fiver on that bet...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The article makes it seem like the fingerprint sensor is guaranteed, I don't see why they wouldn't test it in a 5S though, especially if the release is only weeks away. :confused:

Probably just for secrecy issues. What difference does it make if they test it in a 5S or a wooden box with 5S internals. If it works, it works. Doesn't matter what housing it's in.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
yeah man. because street hoods are all about the spy shops. theyll be sure to wear gloves and keep it out of their pockets, too.

geeze. do you people really worry about this stuff??

U better believe that "street hoods" will be working hard to overcome the FP scanner. Even if its for "just because" reasons.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've never had the home button break. iPhones since feb. 2009, ...but, yeah, if it would be convex, it would only be in the center and not protrude as far as the edge of the screen. It wouldn't make sense to have such a button be the farthest thing sticking up out of the phone.

Me neither, and I've owned iPod touches since around the same time. I once dropped my iPod and the glass below the home button shattered, but it still worked. If it was convex, it would've been screwed.

For some reason, though, I've read quite a few posts on here about fragile home buttons.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
From the 9to5Mac article:

"According to Apple sources privy to customer usage data, a very small percentage of iPhone owners use a passcode."

Really? Most people can't even be bothered to use a 4-digit code? I guess I had been assuming that a basic passcode was pretty much the norm for a great majority of iPhone users.
I lock and unlock my iPhone frequently, entering a passcode everytime would be quite the hassle. Furthermore, I always keep my phone in my pocket when I'm not at home. So no, no passcode for me.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Isnt this fingerprint scanner supposed to detect the RF field emitted by our fingers? If so, then no one can use some lifted fingerprint to beat the scanner.

I could see some RF transmitter device somehow confusing the scanner into a positive match though. Hopefully Apple and Authentec have thought that through.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I lock and unlock my iPhone frequently, entering a passcode everytime would be quite the hassle. Furthermore, I always keep my phone in my pocket when I'm not at home. So no, no passcode for me.

Perhaps on-person keys like this NFC ring to unlock phones could be popular. (They got 8 times the Kickstarter funding they needed.)

Motorola is selling a clip-on for your clothes called "the Skip" that does the same thing.

At least that way, smart thieves would take your ring or your pin instead of your finger :)

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Actually, no, Detroit suburbs. I know of 2 such shops in the Southfield area alone, as I pass by them on my way to work every day. Ironically, they are right across the street from each other too, which I always thought was odd.

lol well I was just making a joke.

But, wow, we don't have anything like that here. I wish I would have know when I was in Detroit.

What's there names?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Isnt this fingerprint scanner supposed to detect the RF field emitted by our fingers? If so, then no one can use some lifted fingerprint to beat the scanner.

Authentec does make RF type scanners. Basically they transmit an RF field into your finger and read the resulting voltages on the sensor pixels.

The advantage of this over passive capacitance sensors is that it reads into the layer below the ridge-air skin surface, and thus is not as sensitive to outside cuts, scrapes, gunk, etc.

Note that these techniques have been around for at least a decade, so perhaps Apple bought Authentec for something new. Or perhaps they just wanted to corner their production.

Fargard

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
- No fingerprint
- Real uni-color (not this crap that came with the iPhone 5)
=> I'd buy.

Else: Apple needs to come up with something big.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I've never had the home button break. iPhones since feb. 2009, ...but, yeah, if it would be convex, it would only be in the center and not protrude as far as the edge of the screen. It wouldn't make sense to have such a button be the farthest thing sticking up out of the phone.

Me neither, and I've owned iPod touches since around the same time. I once dropped my iPod and the glass below the home button shattered, but it still worked. If it was convex, it would've been screwed.

For some reason, though, I've read quite a few posts on here about fragile home buttons.

I've been using iPod touches and iPhone since 2007 and I have yet to have one break as well. I don;t know what people do to them to break them so much.

No way it will be convex.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Actually, I'd be more worried about being able to get past the fingerprint sensor. This is a device you hold in your hand for multiple minutes/hours a day. You're fingerprints are all over this thing. I would think if a thief steals your phone, and has even a modicum of smarts about how to get a fingerprint off your phone using a basic fingerprint kit which can be purchased at any spy shop type place, they could use that to bypass the sensor and unlock the phone.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not that easy, but I hope they've thought this through.

I hadn't thought of that, very true. That should be in a movie :)

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Will AAPL sell my fingerprint data linked to my identity to other company, PRISM, NSA, ETC. so they can identify me and trace me anytime i touch any of the camouflaged fingerprint readers they will hide all over door knobs, benches, taps, politician handshakes and toilet flushes ?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Little paranoid huh?

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
So many leaks...September 10th will be more of a confirmation than an actual announcement.

If you are worried about leaks do not read a rumours site ;) It is like people who complain about spoilers on the internet. Just don't look.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Or an iPad! :) (Or did the iPad not get this feature...?)

I've always been able to do voice-only facetime calls on my iPad. Just make the call and press the Home button and it turns off the camera. My husband is over seas and we do this a lot because he rarely has a good wifi connection and not using the camera lessens the needed bandwidth. Of course, using Skype voice-only takes even less bandwidth. But when we can get FaceTime to connect, it's the app of choice.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Actually, I'd be more worried about being able to get past the fingerprint sensor. This is a device you hold in your hand for multiple minutes/hours a day. You're fingerprints are all over this thing. I would think if a thief steals your phone, and has even a modicum of smarts about how to get a fingerprint off your phone using a basic fingerprint kit which can be purchased at any spy shop type place, they could use that to bypass the sensor and unlock the phone.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's not that easy, but I hope they've thought this through.
A fingerprint sensor isn't supposed to prevent your phone from being stolen. It's supposed to protect your data from being stolen and to be a deterrent that doesn't slowdown the owner in anyway. If most thieves have a hard time getting the phone to work, the number of people trying to steal iPhones would drop. The problem right now is that many many people (including myself) don't lock their iPhones with a 4 digit passcode. Most people I know don't use it because it's such a hassle to enter it when you look at your phone 50 times a day.

Your argument is akin to saying that U-locks for your bike are a bad idea because any good bike thief knows how to break one if they simply get a little liquid nitrogen and a hammer. Think about that for a second please.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
From the 9to5Mac article:

"According to Apple sources privy to customer usage data, a very small percentage of iPhone owners use a passcode."

Really? Most people can't even be bothered to use a 4-digit code? I guess I had been assuming that a basic passcode was pretty much the norm for a great majority of iPhone users.

I was walking down the street in Baltimore this summer, and right there, next to a canal on a seating area, was an iPad. I thought I had to be on "What would you do?" on TV or something. There were all sorts of people walking, but nobody within 50 feet of the thing. So we reluctantly picked it up and it didn't have a passcode!

This enabled us to go to the email, see who the emails were addressed to, then look in the contacts for someone by that name. We called someone with the same last name. It turned out to be a daughter in law. She called her mother in law's cell. The owner of the iPad and simply left it there accidentally and walked off to lunch. We met her there and got it back to her.

If she had a pass code set, I'm not sure how we would've found her.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I was walking down the street in Baltimore this summer, and right there, next to a canal on a seating area, was an iPad. I thought I had to be on "What would you do?" on TV or something. There were all sorts of people walking, but nobody within 50 feet of the thing. So we reluctantly picked it up and it didn't have a passcode!

This enabled us to go to the email, see who the emails were addressed to, then look in the contacts for someone by that name. We called someone with the same last name. It turned out to be a daughter in law. She called her mother in law's cell. The owner of the iPad and simply left it there accidentally and walked off to lunch. We met her there and got it back to her.

If she had a pass code set, I'm not sure how we would've found her.

Nice little anecdote, but you are not telling us to remove our passcodes, aren't you? ;)

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
The authentication time will make or break this fingerprint scanner. I personally don't use a passcode but would consider using this if it takes <1 second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.