Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc3k

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2013
ROFL!!! I guess you forgot to read your links? And obviously missed that one of mine was from cnet, just like yours. About.com? Please. 4 of mine are from major independent sources. And none from an Android site. Try again.

LMAO! I guess you don't know how to read any of the links as they all say the same thing....Google Now sucks at basic PIM functions. Try searching your Android sites again.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
LMAO! I guess you don't know how to read any of the links as they all say the same thing....Google Now sucks at basic PIM functions. Try searching your Android sites again.

I'm done with this Tony. The best you have shown is that the two are equal as your links stated.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
I'm very confused. In most of your posts you claim the 5c is a low end phone because it sells for half the subsided price of the S4, and is a failure because it is not outselling the S4. Now you say the 5c is a high-end phone, and is a failure because other phones have a higher spec? :confused:

I never ever said 5c is sold as a low-end phone or be regarded as a low-end phone by anybody.

The fact that 5c is sold in the US at half of the price as S4 does not hide the fact that 5c is put into the high-end smartphone section by Apple. In fact, not just 5c, Apple is still even leaving 4S in the high-end smartphone section to compete. It’s clear that Apple cares ONLY the profit margin (xx%), in comparison it cares very very few about the total units of sales or the total profit (for which total units of sales is in fact as important as the profit margin), what a pity of them!!

----------

Good old circular logic! If we assume a future where Apple doesn't do well, then we can prove that Apple isn't going to do well in the future. :D

The amount of facts that you made up to support your claims in this thread is impressive.

I was not trying to prove anything, I was only trying to explain to people who replied me and hope to give them another chance to understand a fact, a non-debatable fact:
1. Apple *IS* already heading a very very dangerous path for quite some time.
2. The ONLY way for it to avoid the fatal destiny is to adversely change course NOW!!!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I never ever said 5c is sold as a low-end phone or be regarded as a low-end phone by anybody.

The fact that 5c is sold in the US at half of the price as S4 does not hide the fact that 5c is put into the high-end smartphone section by Apple. In fact, not just 5c, Apple is still even leaving 4S in the high-end smartphone section to compete.

Based on arbitrary definitions that you create to support your argument.

It’s clear that Apple cares ONLY the profit margin (xx%), in comparison it cares very very few about the total units of sales or the total profit (for which total units of sales is in fact as important as the profit margin), what a pity of them!!

It's clear based on... nothing. :rolleyes:

I was not try to prove whether I am wrong, I was only trying to explain a fact in a clearer way so that people who replied might get a chance to understand a fact, a non-debatable fact.
1. Apple *IS* heading a very very dangerous path.
2. The ONLY way for it to avoid that fatal destiny IS to adversely change course NOW!!!

You don't seem to have any idea what a fact is. Most references you've made in this thread to actual facts have been wrong.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Can you stop with this "9 months" crap? The S4 was released April 24. The iPhone 5S and 5C were released Sep 20. Less than 5 months later.

1. Although S4 is put to sale on the US market on April, its earliest shipping date was on March, just not to the US market.
2. 5c wasn’t fully outsold by S4 until late November, which is the date and event my comments were about.

----------

Does reality factor into any of your arguments? :confused:

When the topic is about strategy, you have to look far beyond the current status and focus on analyzing the trend.

----------

Well... just like in my earlier comment... there will also be a bunch of crappy Android tablets on the market... inflating Android's tablet market share. But I don't think a growth in Android tablets will reverse developers' attitude about Android.

We've seen how Android developers are taking advantage of all that Android smartphone market share, right? :rolleyes:

Developers are already ignoring the fact that 8 out of 10 smartphones sold today are running Android... and are continuing to focus on the iPhone. And I predict the same thing will happen when Android tablets have more market share than the iPad.

It's not like the Google Play Store is barren though... there are plenty of Android apps available to the billion Android devices out there.

But iPhone apps are out-performing Android apps in sales and revenue... despite iPhone only having 12% smartphone market share.

Translation: higher market share is NOT helping Android.

Or in other words... Apple's lack of smartphone market share does NOT equal a lack of app revenue for developers.

And I don't see that changing when Android tablets have the most market share either.

Hope your prediction turns to be the truth, not mine. Unfortunately that is possible only if Google does not do anything to fix Android’s current drawback of this, which I don’t see a high chance to happen.

In comparison, a better chance for Apple to stay alive longer is if Windows grab enough market share (phone and tablets combined) from Android in time (mostly in the tablet market) so that Android, iOS and Windows will all look relevant to most of the developers. However, it’s so unclear whether Windows could achieve that in time.

----------

What have you been smoking? Galaxy S phones are dirt cheap from day one, at least here in UK.

This news piece we are commenting about is talking of the US market, so the actual US prices of these devices are the relevant factors for analysis, not their prices in other places.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
1. Although S4 is put to sale on the US market on April, its earliest shipping date was on March, just not to the US market.

Source?

Here's an article from the beginning of April speculating on when the S4 would begin shipping to non-US countries.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/samsung-galaxy-s4-expected-to-begin-shipping-in-mid-april-rumor/

Seems like another of your made up facts.

2. 5c wasn’t fully outsold by S4 until late November, which is the date and event my comments were about.

Even with your made up dates, March to November = 8 months. Reality is still an April 26 release. Less than 5 months before the 5S and 5C.

When the topic is about strategy, you have to look far beyond the current status and focus on analyzing the trend.

Absolutely. But you also have to consider reality and not just stuff you made up to fit your argument.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
The fact that you think $550 is half of $640 really tells me all I need to know.

This news piece we were commenting about is talking of the US market, so when you do the analysis about it, you should consider the price in the US market. To most of the US consumers, $99 is the price of 5c and $199 is the price of S4, whether that is a wrong perception of theirs or not is irrelevant to this analysis, since the sales data revolves around those decisions made on top of the (mis)perception, not the (hidden) fact beneath that.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
That has nothing to do with Apple. Smart phone manufacturers realize they can only buy up so much marketshare because before it becomes a problematic business model. At some point they have to turn a profit

No, the real No. 1 factor for Apple’s share of industry profit drop from 90% to <50% is because Apple is no longer holding the majority of the high-end section of the smartphone market. Start from mid 2012, high-end Android smartphones (combined) have been outselling Apple’s iPhone.

----------

Again you have no evidence to support any of that any of your claims. When the iPhone was first launched it was not expected for them to get More than 1% of the market this as this was publicly stated by Apple. For you to say what they're doing now is a failure is just pure nonsense and you have no facts to back it up

Common sense — comparing with the past if you did worse this time, you are having a failure.

----------

Based on arbitrary definitions that you create to support your argument.

It's clear based on... nothing. :rolleyes:

You don't seem to have any idea what a fact is. Most references you've made in this thread to actual facts have been wrong.

You don’t seem to have any idea what is “discussion”. You only care about arguing and “win” itself, so never really try to comprehend during the argument.

Are you really a man without the very most basic common sense how to define the high-end, middle range and low-end section in a market? And, is it so difficult for you to check around the global market to find out how many smartphones are sold each year and what are their price ranges?

----------

What does that have to do with being the most PROFITABLE PC Maker?

Right there told you — it was not the most profitable PC maker, until it saved itself using Windows.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
The one thing that matters most in business is if their product is making them a profit. Even if it is 3rd place behind the 4S, it's still making Apple a bundle of cash, so I doubt they consider it a failure.

This isn't a race where first is the winner, and everyone else goes home without the glory. It's selling and selling well. That's all that matters.

No, if you just fall down from the top of a 11-story building, and at present you are just at the 10-story height, even though you are still up-high at present, you don’t have a bright future to stay high above.

Although Apple still sold a lot of 5c this quarter, the year-over-year growth (Q4 2012 - Q4 2013, in units sold) of its second-level smartphone would clearly be slower than the average smartphone market, and even slower than the whole high-end section of the smartphone market, that has to be considered a failure.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This news piece we were commenting about is talking of the US market, so when you do the analysis about it, you should consider the price in the US market. To most of the US consumers, $99 is the price of 5c and $199 is the price of S4, whether that is a wrong perception of theirs or not is irrelevant to this analysis, since the sales data revolves around those decisions made on top of the (mis)perception, not the (hidden) fact beneath that.

:D So basically you only want people to consider the factors that fit your discussion. We only consider the US market when it fits your argument, and we only consider the global market when that fits your argument.

No, the real No. 1 factor for Apple’s share of industry profit drop from 90% to <50% is because Apple is no longer holding the majority of the high-end section of the smartphone market. Start from mid 2012, high-end Android smartphones (combined) have been outselling Apple’s iPhone.

Source on both of these claims?

Common sense — comparing with the past if you did worse this time, you are having a failure.

Only if you are analyzing the situation with blinders on. Did you consider that Apple's strategy may have shifted more sales to the higher priced 5S while increasing the margins on the 5C? Or that Apple has successfully shifted more sales to it's own stores? Or that significant discounts at retailers such as Best Buy have shifted sales of the 5C from the carrier stores?

how to define the high-end, middle range and low-end section in a market?

At the US carriers being discussed, it is reasonable to count the free 4S at low-end, the 5C at mid-range, and the 5S at high-end. There are definitely different ways to look at it.

And, is it so difficult for you to check around the global market to find out how many smartphones are sold each year and what are their price ranges?

Like I said, you just keep switching your reference group anytime that it fits your argument.

Right there told you — it was not the most profitable PC maker, until it saved itself using Windows.

Correlation does not imply causation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Although Apple still sold a lot of 5c this quarter, the year-over-year growth (Q4 2012 - Q4 2013, in units sold) of its second-level smartphone would clearly be slower than the average smartphone market, and even slower than the whole high-end section of the smartphone market, that has to be considered a failure.

Why are you comparing year over year growth on a product that's only been out for roughly three months? There's not enough data to project anything but near future potential.

It's success or failure comes down to one very simple thing: is it making money?

From all accounts, it is. It didn't make as much as they initially predicted, but it's still selling solidly. They're making a profit off of it.

Now if the 5c were all Apple had in their line up, they'd be in trouble. But it's not, it's a supplementary device for the big gun that is the 5s, which is selling spectacularly. By itself, it might not be making enough to carry the entire company, but it's still generating cash for them to put in their pockets.

So no, it's not a failure.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Source?

Here's an article from the beginning of April speculating on when the S4 would begin shipping to non-US countries.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/samsung-galaxy-s4-expected-to-begin-shipping-in-mid-april-rumor/

Seems like another of your made up facts.

Even with your made up dates, March to November = 8 months. Reality is still an April 26 release. Less than 5 months before the 5S and 5C.

Absolutely. But you also have to consider reality and not just stuff you made up to fit your argument.

No matter S4 was already a 7 month old phone or a 9 month old phone when it outsold 5c, the main point doesn’t change — it’s the first time that a second-level iPhone ever being outsold by another model older than it, and even just in the first quarter it is released.

I wonder whether Apple will ever wake up to the truth when its flagship iPhone model is outsold by another model older than it.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder whether Apple will ever wake up to the truth when its flagship iPhone model is outsold by another model older than it.
Who says Apple is asleep? If you even understood how Apple does business you would know that Apple sells iOS devices and If one iOS device sells more than another they are perfectly fine with it. I love it how everybody on this forum thinks they are so much smarter than any of these tech companies. Smh smh

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Why are you comparing year over year growth on a product that's only been out for roughly three months? There's not enough data to project anything but near future potential.

It's success or failure comes down to one very simple thing: is it making money?

From all accounts, it is. It didn't make as much as they initially predicted, but it's still selling solidly. They're making a profit off of it.

Now if the 5c were all Apple had in their line up, they'd be in trouble. But it's not, it's a supplementary device for the big gun that is the 5s, which is selling spectacularly. By itself, it might not be making enough to carry the entire company, but it's still generating cash for them to put in their pockets.

So no, it's not a failure.

Together with your other post, I couldn't say better

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No matter S4 was already a 7 month old phone or a 9 month old phone when it outsold 5c,

Facts matter. You repeated an incorrect fact over and over again in this thread. Obviously, you thought it meant something.

the main point doesn’t change — it’s the first time that a second-level iPhone ever being outsold by another model older than it, and even just in the first quarter it is released.

The number of contortions in this claim is just silly. It overstates the difference between the 5C and the 5. It neglects to mention that the statistics are for carrier sales only. And it ignores all the alternate explanations for the statistics that I mentioned in my previous post.

:D I thought you were focused "on analyzing the trend"? In the US, that means increasing iPhone market share. With what you see as a decreasing position for the 5C.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
:D So basically you only want people to consider the factors that fit your discussion. We only consider the US market when it fits your argument, and we only consider the global market when that fits your argument.

When the analysis is about the situation in the US market only, you need to use the factors in the US.

When the analysis is about the overall problem with Apple, you need to play down the factors in the US and consider the global market in a whole.

Source on both of these claims?

Do your own research if you doubt it.

Only if you are analyzing the situation with blinders on. Did you consider that Apple's strategy may have shifted more sales to the higher priced 5S while increasing the margins on the 5C? Or that Apple has successfully shifted more sales to it's own stores? Or that significant discounts at retailers such as Best Buy have shifted sales of the 5C from the carrier stores?

Those are all much less important comparing with the bigger picture of the competition between Apple and other smartphone manufacturers, since if Apple totally lose that competition, all of the minor “improvements” you listed above would no longer matter.

At the US carriers being discussed, it is reasonable to count the free 4S at low-end, the 5C at mid-range, and the 5S at high-end. There are definitely different ways to look at it.

Sure, though worse than previous years, Apple has been still doing well, no survival issue to worry about or to discuss, as long as the subsidization is still the main stream.

Like I said, you just keep switching your reference group anytime that it fits your argument.

Depending on which issue you are analyzing, you sure need to look at the factors relevant to the topic.

Correlation does not imply causation. :rolleyes:
… unless there are logical reasoning can be established. In this case, people worrying about compatibility is what makes the “correlation” into a clear “causation”.

----------

You set the standard too low. Apple is not just *a” company, it is *THE* company. If Apple ever becomes a mediocre company, it’s already a big big failure.

Now if the 5c were all Apple had in their line up, they'd be in trouble. But it's not, it's a supplementary device for the big gun that is the 5s, which is selling spectacularly.

5s is a success, I never disagree about that. What I was talking about is about its second-tier smartphone — 5c.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
When the analysis is about the situation in the US market only, you need to use the factors in the US.

When the analysis is about the overall problem with Apple, you need to play down the factors in the US and consider the global market in a whole.

And yet here you are drawing conclusions about the overall problem with Apple using data based on a limited portion of the US market. That's my point. There is no consistency to your argument.

Do your own research if you doubt it.

That's not how things work. You made the claim. It's up to you to support it.

Those are all much less important comparing with the bigger picture of the competition between Apple and other smartphone manufacturers, since if Apple totally lose that competition, all of the minor “improvements” you listed above would no longer matter.

:confused: You are once again shifting goalposts. The scenarios had nothing to do with a "bigger picture." They were simply various possible explanations that fit the facts being discussed. Something more nuanced than your "third place = fail" logic.

Sure, though worse than previous years, Apple has been still doing well, no survival issue to worry about or to discuss, as long as the subsidization is still the main stream.

Again, nothing to do with the comment that you are responding to.

Depending on which issue you are analyzing, you sure need to look at the factors relevant to the topic.

Absolutely, but you are choosing those factors arbitrarily and changing them within the same argument.

… unless there are logical reasoning can be established. In this case, people worrying about compatibility is what makes the “correlation” into a clear “causation”.

:D I'm not arguing it's not a factor. There is simply no evidence that it was the factor as you imply.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
And yet here you are drawing conclusions about the overall problem with Apple using data based on a limited portion of the US market. That's my point. There is no consistency to your argument.

I have two main statements in this thread, one is about the US market, specifically about Apple’s 5c sales being worse comparing with 4S sales this time last year (not the total units, but the competitive results with other manufacturers).

The other thread is about Apple’s global performance degradation over the last 2 years. For this statements, I used nothing in this news piece. In another words, I didn’t use this data about the US market for the topic about global performance.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I have two main statements in this thread, one is about the US market, specifically about Apple’s 5c sales being worse comparing with 4S sales this time last year (not the total units, but the competitive results with other manufacturers).

The other thread is about Apple’s global performance degradation over the last 2 years. For this statements, I used nothing in this news piece. In another words, I didn’t use this data about the US market for the topic about global performance.

That's a nice attempt to rewrite history. Unfortunately, what you actually said is still a part of this thread.

For example, with your 5C discussion, you want to classify the 5C by it's subsidized price (half the price of S4) and it's unsubsidized price (high end) within the same argument. You call the 5C an unqualified failure based on a limited data point in one market based on a completely arbitrary standard of success. And then when I addressed your argument directly with alternative explanations for the data points in the OP, you dismissed them as being "much less important comparing with the bigger picture".

And with your global argument, you don't even bother to present anything other than an unsupported theory and the assumption that all negative trends will continue and all positive trends will reverse. It's circular logic.

What little actual facts that you have referenced have been shown to be wrong, or you have refused to provide documentation to support them.

Last edited:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
For example, with your 5C discussion, you want to classify the 5C by it's subsidized price (half the price of S4) and it's unsubsidized price (high end) within the same argument. You call the 5C an unqualified failure based on a limited data point in one market based on a completely arbitrary standard of success. And then when I addressed your argument directly with alternative explanations for the data points in the OP, you dismissed them as being "much less important comparing with the bigger picture".

Wrong, in my statement about 5c being a failure, I specifically the US market environment as arguments. I kept comparing with its performance with the 4S performance in the last year.

And with your global argument, you don't even bother to present anything other than an unsupported theory and the assumption that all negative trends will continue and all positive trends will reverse. It's circular logic.

What little actual facts that you have referenced have been shown to be wrong, or you have refused to provide documentation to support them.

For Apple’s global performance failure, 5c’s sales number isn’t even important. That trend has been established for years and there is no way to possibly reverse, unless Apple quickly change its course. I don’t even need ANY statistics to prove it, it’s just common sense — the price/performance ratio which 99% of people base on when they spend any of their hard-earn money. Sure, that may not be the case for you and your circle, since you are possibly a lawyer (or something similar) who always gets a lot of money for doing almost nothing.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
What's astroturfing? I have used Siri and Google Now. Google Now wins hands down. Maps isn't in the same league as Google maps.

Google Now cannot navigate from contacts using voice commands like Siri does. I have tried it on a galaxy S3 and an HTC One GPe phone and it did not work on either one. Google Now cannot look up an address from my phone contacts and navigate to it when I give it the voice command.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Wrong, in my statement about 5c being a failure, I specifically the US market environment as arguments. I kept comparing with its performance with the 4S performance in the last year.

Wrong? I provided specifics claims that you made in this thread. :rolleyes:

For Apple’s global performance failure, 5c’s sales number isn’t even important. That trend has been established for years and there is no way to possibly reverse, unless Apple quickly change its course. I don’t even need ANY statistics to prove it, it’s just common sense — the price/performance ratio which 99% of people base on when they spend any of their hard-earn money.

:D You don't seem to need any statistics to support anything you say.

Sure, that may not be the case for you and your circle, since you are possibly a lawyer (or something similar) who always gets a lot of money for doing almost nothing.

At least you are consistent in jumping to wild conclusions based on nothing more than your own fantasy.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
This just shows that the other manufacturers need to step up. With only two horses in the race this will slow down innovation which hurts everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.