Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Well, I am totally surprised, Not! Guess they need to make it thinner! LOL, Or get a Case? :roll eyes:

As always, these drop tests are so painful to watch!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I know all the iPhone Protectionist Racket are hating on this video but it's surprisingly rare that the screen will crack that fast.

Get a screen protector!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
The money they receive from the ad revenue more than covers the cost of the iPhone.

This is exactly what they are going for. Do something crazy, get the video up on MacRumors and then watch the cash roll in.... Most likely he will earn enough to cover the broken phone and then buy himself a brand new one and more over the next few days. A darn good way to earn a free phone!

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Phones are turning into one of the most used tools in the world. You can pay with it, talk to your mom, text your kids, navigate, learn, listen to music, watch films, pay bills, take a picture, send an email; the list goes on and on. You would think such an important tool, crafted by the company who provides that tool to a good percentage of the world, would construct it with some utilitarian thought in mind, but it seems with Ive at the helm it's gone all aesthetics.

I can see the world in flames if they introduce a 'utilitarian' iPhone.

I happen to like where the iPhone is going. If I need more protection I'll put it in an Otterbox.

bcsignup

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Ridiculous!

So, let me see.....if I drop a piece of glass on the pavement, will it break? The stupidest proposal for some sort of test I have ever seen. Did this American really book a ticket to Australia so he could be the first to destroy the screen of an iPhone 6? Hope is was worth it! I think is was stupid.

1ONE

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2014
Can't we just collectively put these types of videos out to pasture?

It's a phone. It has glass. Pavement and glass don't like each other.

:rolleyes:

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
This is exactly what they are going for. Do something crazy, get the video up on MacRumors and then watch the cash roll in.... Most likely he will earn enough to cover the broken phone and then buy himself a brand new one and more over the next few days. A darn good way to earn a free phone!

Do ads really pay that much? With as many people have videos on there with lots of views, seems like ad agencies should be broke by now. I just have a hard time believing ads pay out all this money people are always talking about.

Maybe I just don't want to believe it because with every fiber of my being I HATE the constant bombardment of advertisements. Bah humbug!

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I wonder if a glass screen will shatter if i drop it from 4+ ft on to concrete... Hmmm... I better test it to see what will happen. These drop tests always show nothing...

nick727

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2006
I can see the world in flames if they introduce a 'utilitarian' iPhone.

I happen to like where the iPhone is going. If I need more protection I'll put it in an Otterbox.

It's not a black and white decision. Just a thought of "hey, let's reduce the CHANCE of it breaking when it accidentally slips out of someone's hand."

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Do ads really pay that much? With as many people have videos on there with lots of views, seems like ad agencies should be broke by now. I just have a hard time believing ads pay out all this money people are always talking about.

Maybe I just don't want to believe it because with every fiber of my being I HATE the constant bombardment of advertisements. Bah humbug!

I don't know first hand. But the internet is awash with numbers and stories. And every product launch there are people doing outlandish things to gain views - shooting iPads, dropping phones, using a sledgehammer. There won't be smoke without fire...

There are a few stats in this article:
How Many Views To Make Money On Youtube

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Glass shatters and aluminium dents when dropped on solid ground.

In other news, the sky is blue.

Cars crumple when they hit other cars we know that, it doesn’t mean car manufacturers should start to use mattresses instead of concrete blocks when assessing crash protection.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Cars crumple when they hit other cars we know that, it doesn’t mean car manufacturers should start to use mattresses instead of concrete blocks when assessing crash protection.

Cars are a safety risk and can severely injure or kill. I certainly haven't read any reports of injuries or deaths resulting from phone drops. Just owners with lighter pockets.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Well problem is people whine if it isn't paper thin..... I'd prefer a more robust phone as well but they have to appeal to the methphone heads.

But that's the thing - people don't whine if it's not paper thin, the vast majority of people I've seen comment wanted the iPhone 6 thicker for better battery life and a non-protruding camera.

It's purely Jony Ive's obsession for thinness and it's getting a bit sad.

bcsignup

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
That's what cases are for!

That's what cases are for! To protect us from our clumsiness. He should have bought two more phones, outfitted them with cases and done the same thing. I know there are folks out there who use their phones without "protection," but they just 5% of us. Somehow, they think that they are superior to us; that they will NEVER drop their phone unintentionally, ever. IOW, this video is for the dumbest amongst us. The rest of us know better!

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Another video of the iPhone 6 shattering on the first drop.

http://youtu.be/mfeJbKKSRm0

The dude is over 6 foot and he drops it at shoulder height saying "drop it at normal height" I don't know about you but when i have accidentally drop my phone it's usually around 3 feet from the ground. I mean maybe you're putting the phone to your ear and it slips??

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
That's what cases are for! To protect us from our clumsiness. He should have bought two more phones, outfitted them with cases and done the same thing. I know there are folks out there who use their phones without "protection," but they just 5% of us. Somehow, they think that they are superior to us; that they will NEVER drop their phone unintentionally, ever. IOW, this video is for the dumbest amongst us. The rest of us know better!

I don't feel superior. I have dropped my phone on occasion and I have been lucky to not get any cracks or major scuffs. Some scuffing, yes, but nothing major. Hopefully I will have the same luck with this phone. Famous last words?

I happen to like the thinness of the device and don't want to add any bulk at all if I can help it. I also like the feel of the metal in my hand. Those are just my top reasons.

That being said, I do have apple care.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
But that's the thing - people don't whine if it's not paper thin, the vast majority of people I've seen comment wanted the iPhone 6 thicker for better battery life and a non-protruding camera.

That's the thing sure, there is that vocal minority that does want it more robust but most here on MR, from what I've seen want it thin.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
NEWS FLASH - your screen will break if you drop your phone on the screen

:apple: Think :apple:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Worse then the iPhone 5 :eek:
It seems that the stronger iphone design was the 4 and it gets weaker with each new design. Although to be fair that is what you would get with a thin phone.

The 4 had a glass front and back... I knew so many people who had problems with that phone.

Looking at the 5S that I have, it seems like the edges offer a bit more protection. However many 5S phones had give to the screens or even a bit of lift, I wonder if the wrap around was trying to protect against that.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

give me an iPhone 4 thickness and a screen size of the iPhone 6. battery life would be insaaaaaaane :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.