Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Cars are a safety risk and can severely injure or kill. I certainly haven't read any reports of injuries or deaths resulting from phone drops. Just owners with lighter pockets.

The point is we already know what’s going to happen. We test all sorts of things in life to get a more accurate idea of the outcome. I’d like to have an idea of how durable my device is. I suspect so would you.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
The point is we already know what’s going to happen. We test all sorts of things in life to get a more accurate idea of the outcome. I’d like to have an idea of how durable my device is. I suspect so would you.

I don't care if that dude drops his phone. He paid for it, he can do what he wants. Plus if he's lucky he'll make his money back through advertising, or page hits.

But yes, it's interesting to see how these things hold up, but honestly, every drop is different. One phone might shatter from a 1 foot drop, while another could drop from several stories and still be usable.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Phones are turning into one of the most used tools in the world. You can pay with it, talk to your mom, text your kids, navigate, learn, listen to music, watch films, pay bills, take a picture, send an email; the list goes on and on. You would think such an important tool, crafted by the company who provides that tool to a good percentage of the world, would construct it with some utilitarian thought in mind, but it seems with Ive at the helm it's gone all aesthetics.

There is no way a large screen such as this will not crack when it is dropped. The angle and further construction of the phone make little difference, nor will sapphire.

This has got nothing to do with design, but with physics and the choice you make as a consumer.

Sleepwalker71

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2014
Singapore
Please... My current Lumia 920 survived so many drops, falls, crashes since last year, and just some minor small scratches.
I was considering switching to Apple ecosystem as I bought rMBP, but... I don't know...

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I never understand why these people spend all this money on an iPhone just to drop it on the ground on YouTube for a few views. Give me that damn Phone if you're gonna Eff it up. Sheesh.

Let's see.. if it gets 1 million views at an average of say $2.00/CPM for YouTube income, a 20% fill rate, and a 45% YouTube distributor cost, that means that video gets them $260, which would be a loss.

They'd have to pull in multiple millions of views to get a profit, which is unlikely.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If you're basing your purchasing decision on these "tests", then you probably should never buy another electronic device ever again.

We have entered the yearly stage of everyone trying really hard to find reasons to discredit any and every aspect of the new device. Happens every year. It gets old fast.

Still waiting for the newborn baby drop test, the associated shock when the baby is fatally injured, and people claiming that no one should ever have a baby ever again as a result. :rolleyes:

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Phones are turning into one of the most used tools in the world. You can pay with it, talk to your mom, text your kids, navigate, learn, listen to music, watch films, pay bills, take a picture, send an email; the list goes on and on. You would think such an important tool, crafted by the company who provides that tool to a good percentage of the world, would construct it with some utilitarian thought in mind, but it seems with Ive at the helm it's gone all aesthetics.

We want DURABLE phones... Like Ma Bell used to make. Good ole fashion rotary sets that you can swing the body by the handset cord without fail. Good 5 lbs of bludgeon power for self defense! I still have one that works 15+ years old.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Sapphire is more shatter-prone than glass.

Sapphire has really been built-up around these parts to be the savior of future tech, but the reality is that it is expensive and not great at the things people think it ought to be used for. It was always destined for the watch, but everyone convinced themselves that it was the next coming of Gorilla Glass for iPhones.

Not so.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Glass cracking is the only real reason to have a case nowadays. Phones now are very tough, including the display. It's the glass over the display that shatters at the whim of a hat.

I was actually looking forward to go naked this time around, but looks like I can't. The design makes it even MORE likely to shatter than my current iPhone 5.

I hate to say it, but the seamless curve glass design is putting form over function. The glass doesn't just shatter, it now starts to come apart from the phone. :confused:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I ordered the iPhone 6+ for delivery tomorrow, and I also ordered (for the first time) AppleCare.

I don't plan to drop it. In fact, I intend not to drop it. But life doesn't always go the way I intend it to. And we have a two-year-old.

meirvin

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Dallas/Fort Worth
Damn. Never heard of Square Trade before you mentioned it, seems too good to be true... Also I love not using a case so this just seems too perfect! :3

They are the same price as apple care with exception of $4 fee
$79 vs $75

I would rather walk into a apple store and get a new one but I live near a apple store so..

K-Rob

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Both phones faired well in this test.

http://youtu.be/JS8f-hVsDzA

Forgive me for not knowing how to make it an active link :/

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well problem is people whine if it isn't paper thin..... I'd prefer a more robust phone as well but they have to appeal to the methphone heads.

Ummmm you don't HAVE to use a case. Not sure where you got that info from.

Don't complain to apple complain to all the apple fa.... Oh yeah... can't say those words together word..... blame the people that want a thinner and thinner phone.

Not buying that. At all. I hardly ever read/see/hear of people moaning that a phone is too thick and this goes right the way back to the iPhone 3G.
What you do constantly read/see/hear is about battery life, scratches, feature set etc etc..

The obsession with being thin belongs to that ******** Ive, and Ive alone. Almost impulse bought two of the iPhone 6 but spent too long umming and aahhing. Mainly over the camera and antenna breaks. My first thought with the camera is that I’d hardly have noticed if they’d made the device 0.7mm thicker to account for it. (If there is a functional reason for it actually needing to protrude I’d be glad to hear it).

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Sapphire has really been built-up around these parts to be the savior of future tech, but the reality is that it is expensive and not great at the things people think it ought to be used for. It was always destined for the watch, but everyone convinced themselves that it was the next coming of Gorilla Glass for iPhones.

Not so.

It's a physics thing really - Sapphire is very hard and therefore scratch resistant, but like most hard things it's more brittle. Make the screen out of plastic and it'll be soft and scratch but it'll never break on a drop. Lamination strengthens glass to a good degree but until we make progress with transparent metals then it's always going to be a balancing act! :)

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I don't care if that dude drops his phone. He paid for it, he can do what he wants. Plus if he's lucky he'll make his money back through advertising, or page hits.

But yes, it's interesting to see how these things hold up, but honestly, every drop is different. One phone might shatter from a 1 foot drop, while another could drop from several stories and still be usable.

Most should I believe be done from just above pocket height and on a corner, I reckon that’s how most phones will land in reality.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
lol@fanboys acting like the higher vulnerability to shattering is a positive.

6 is easily the ugliest phone they've put out, and now it appears to be one of the most fragile. I miss Steve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.