Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sapphire FTW

I'm a big fan of sapphire. Have had it on my watch for years. Not even the slightest scratch. On the flipside, I've hated Gorilla Glass ever since I met the people who make it at a tradeshow. Charlatans, I tell you. Corning = leaky boobs and bad glass.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
wait till iPhone 6s (s for Sapphire Crystal)!

That's my plan since I don't buy first generation anything! Also,rumors have the sapphire glass within "weeks" of making the cut! If that's true, then you know next Gen will be all that and more! :cool:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Auch..

What I'd really like to know is if the strength of the antenna has improved.
Has anyone done a serious test of that in the past?

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How so? There hasn't been an iPhone 6 sapphire drop test to compare to. Chances are it would break too and possibly from an even lower height.

You're right, of course, that there hasn't been a sapphire drop test. But, my experience with the sapphire crystal on my watch has been phenomenal. Almost 10 years and not a scratch on it.

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You're right, of course, that there hasn't been a sapphire drop test. But, my experience with the sapphire crystal on my watch has been phenomenal. Almost 10 years and not a scratch on it.

Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant too, this isn't a test about scratches.

What I meant to say that I've dropped my sapphire watch several times and also struck it hard against rough surfaces and it never even scratched, much less shattered. But, again, you're right... I've never dropped it directly on its face from that high up.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
The facts - I dropped my Samsung note 8 tablet the same way iPhone 6+ in the video and the same cracks appeared :) I dropped my sgs4 - the same cracks. But when dropped it once again (after the screen has been replaced ) -no cracks appeared. Everything depends on how , where is dropped and what is the impact point. And in general - all such mass-production devices are fragile and could be cracked.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
A sandwich and a banana are a heck of a lot easier to grip securely than a thin, slippery phone; and they are not carried around on your person for years, giving rise to odds that they may eventually fall out of a bag, off a table, etc. ("---- happens..."). Just sayin'.

(I have no idea if these new iPhones are any more fragile than other phones, btw)

These phones have a use case that means they'll be susceptible to drops, (they are called MOBILE PHONES for a reason). With that in mind they should be designed with adequate durability, (not necessarily ultimate durability).

Apple know this and that’s why they'd put hard drives where the platter comes away from the heads on MacBooks when they sensed a drop and they don’t put the same thing on desktops. They know what might happen so design part of the problem away.
How much effort they put into phones is what the debate is, I’d argue it’s not enough.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
lol@fanboys acting like the higher vulnerability to shattering is a positive.

6 is easily the ugliest phone they've put out, and now it appears to be one of the most fragile. I miss Steve.

You mean the same Steve Jobs that released a phone with glass on both sides? I've seen more than my fair share of iPhone 4s with cracked backs.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Do glass-based screen protectors work very well to avoid the actual glass cracking? Or are they just for scratches like most screen protectors?

Also so much for that ion strengthened glass.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
[QUOTE
How much effort they put into phones is what the debate is, I’d argue it’s not enough.[/QUOTE]

I think -it is enough and good compromise between having an usable phone and something like a brick that can be more durable then a phone :) everything is a compromise .( I wish it will not crack if drop it from my 9th floor, but.... )

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I don't get the grumbling. I like the phone thin and rounded. Fragile? Sure. Get a case.

You can add a case in just about any color, thickness and material you want. However you can't make a bulkier phone thinner.

We thought we were getting

Two days battery life
Liquimetal casing
New previously unknown super sapphire unbreakable unscratchable display
Wireless charging
Waterproof
LED notifications
2GB ram
500+ dpi
Mind blowing A8 processor speed

Paired with a wrist gadget that was standalone
Waterproof
Beautiful
With wireless and kinetic and solar charging
And glucose and BP monitoring
Made of Liquimetal

We got a big fragile iPod and a wrist tumour

And marketing. Lots of marketing. Fake shortages. Fake articles written by Apple's PR team.

I keep waiting for the honest little kid to point out the emperor is naked

But the little kid has been banned, the bellowing of the PR machine shouts down anyone daring to peep the slightest concern.

I was so excited for what we were supposed to get.

I am so disappointed

Meh.

I ain't payin $1000 for a big fragile iPod

I'll sit this one out and see what happens next cycle

I suspect I'm not alone.

bmelson0412

Suspended
May 30, 2014
All of these reviewers that spent their own money on the iphone 6 plus just to tear it apart and break it, get it first. But yet I have to wait until supposedly October 7th?? Umm hell no.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Doesn't this actually fair worse than the 5s?

I've seen drop tests for the 5s where it actually faired pretty well. I imagine the wrap around screen increases potential exposure to the glass.

I wish they went back to using stainless steel!

Edit: helps to read the article!

Last edited:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
You're telling me apple did not create an indestructible machine??

Someone check their stock price, they're doomed

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
About 50 people back in the line at the Charleston Apple Store. There is a quiet excitement, with the occasional drunk or other person in line breaking into song.

It's like a tapestry of humanity. On a cool scale, it's about 8/10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.