Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The best test you can do is , write down the date you get your phone and see how long it takes for you to drop it the first time.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
All because that stupid reporter asked the guy to see it. :mad:
Like she couldn't go inside the store to see one on display.
They didn't even attempt to compensate the guy. They could have given him a few hundred dollars. Typical of Perth.
If I ever see that reporter on Hay St I'll slap her. lol

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I really don't get these drop test I mean if you drop glass it's going to break if it fall the wrong way. For the last 2 years I have had a note 2 I dropped it down our stairs and all was well the other week I took dog out and he pulled on lead and it dropped face flat from waist hight and shattered so it depends on how it falls. If your worried about it smashing don't drop it or just don't get a phone with a glass screen.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
You know why he dropped it - simple we all known iPhone boxes create a vacuum - in fact Apple designed it to take about 6 seconds to open completely - but he's done this so quick the vacuum built up and the phone flipped out when the air pressure was released - what an idiot not knowing this.

pr0xyfl00d3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Don't you look at these videos BEFORE you post them MacRumors?

THE DROP TEST VIDEO IS FAKED!

You can even see the glas panel coming off when the 6 plus hits the ground (3:53), then they cut to a completely intact phone.

Oh and glass flying at 3:45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8f-hVsDzA

Sorry but in the HD version of the vid you can see its the dirt on the floor, u can also see what looks to be something like grass when picking the + up

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Again this stupid useless "drop test".
Every single drop is different from any other in speed, angle and direction, so this videos are a plain stupid way to ruin an expensive device. Period.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Yeah, here we go. Let's abuse our iPhones to see how tough they are. I recall for iPhone 5, someone set up a battery of Wicked Lasers aimed to burn a hole through the screen, proving what I still don't know.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
If you want to know about real world usage and dropping the iPhone 6, I had it in my pocket this morning while out running. All was fine until I got to the cool-down portion of the workout where I was just walking and out it came, right onto the concrete. Lower than waist height and the screen spiderwebbed and the side was all scratched up.

Apple might make these beautiful pieces but it appears they no longer do anything to protect them from regular use. You have to have a nice tough case unless you want to find yourself buying a new one at the Apple Store like I did today.

Had a 3G up until I bought the 5 two years ago and never had a case on the 3G. Dropped it here and there over the years and nothing happened to it besides a few surface scratches. The 5 I got a Cygnett Workmate which worked beautifully. Waiting on the case to arrive for my new 6 and will have to be super careful until then.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
I have NO answers.
The motives of AA are not relevant at this point but the video is. I'm on the fence as to whether this video is faked or not but in the long run it will not matter. There will be plenty of willing dummies who will drop an iPhone 6 for a few bucks from YouTube. From that you can average out the number of broken vs the survivors. It's a big phone with a lot of glass area. If you are petrified of breakage, get a case.

PS. Here's a crop from one of the frames.

juicde.jpg

:apple:

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
As much as I hate to say it I have to agree that the video is fake. The first drop test video I saw shows what I see in the drop on this video but the phone then comes out nearly perfect.

This is captured from this video. As you can see the front panel is separating from the body of the iphone. I noticed this on my first play of this video.
vvYsaA1.png

Here is a capture from another drop test video where they dropped it face down and you can clearly see similar separation of the glass and body.
OsLrIGq.png

This is the other drop test video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxlm82hWDM

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Laughing my a$$ off about the hilarious claims, that Android Authority would fake a positive iPhone Droptest. This has to be one of the most bizarre and yet strangely entertaining threads in the history of MR.

Next in the news: USA producing a surprisingly glowing report about the Human Rights Conditions in North Korea and Kim Jung Un protests against it :rolleyes:

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
Laughing my a$$ off about the hilarious claims, that Android Authority would fake a positive iPhone Droptest. This has to be one of the most bizarre and yet strangely entertaining threads in the history of MR.

Next in the news: USA producing a surprisingly glowing report about the Human Rights Conditions in North Korea and Kim Jung Un protests against it :rolleyes:

Well if you look at it as a business standpoint. This will gain them millions of views and tons of $$$.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Well if you look at it as a business standpoint. This will gain them millions of views and tons of $$$.

I would argue that a shattered iPhone on a second or third drop will create far more clicks and discussions than a non-event drop test.

Especially on a website like Android Authority.

Seriously guys. Move on. No conspiracy here. Probably the majority of people don't care about this "drop tests" (nothing scientific here) anyway because they know, the phone will on a drop: *Newsflash at 11* either break or not brake, depending on various circumstances - call it coincidences.

And a bigger (and thinner) phone with a bigger glass area will be more prone to shattering compared to a smaller phone.

Omis

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
To address your points in order:

Glass panel separation
1. The image quality isn't good enough to determine that. I'm no photography expert, but the rolling shutter effect is pretty well documented when filming things in motion. Basically you have a grainy image of a high speed object in motion, with a high likelihood of processing artifacts . Once the phone stops moving, the image is too grainy to conclusively determine anything.
2. The screen is held in by clips. It's entirely possible that the force of the impact was great enough to create a small separation before the clips pulled it back snug to the body. Temporary separation is not proof of screen damage, but again, we can't even conclusively determine that separation happened.

Glass "shards"
This one's easy. There's a twig and sand on the ground, and that stuff moves when the hits. If you think you can determine that what you see there is glass, you can somehow see more detail than the video provides....

"they cut to a completely intact phone"

If they did, they did it with extreme precision. Note the angle of the bricks and the position of the twig in the video of the drop from above, and look at the positions of those elements in the frame where they pick the phone up. Identical.

As others have said, i have no idea why Android Authority would fake an Apple drop test. Nor does one good test mean the phone will always survive. It would be completely expected to see the phone pass some drop tests and fail others.

Well try explaining why, when he drops the iPhone6 on its back, the position it lands at the 41 second mark is not the same position its in when he goes to pick it up?

For whatever reason they clearly faked the results.

HappyJB

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't think iPhone 6 would survive face down drop test on concrete floor. I love watching smartphone drop tests and none survived proper face down drop test on concrete floor. Get a case or tampered glass on.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I could think of allot of things better to do with my day...

Plus, people are gonna scuff their phones anyway, even i know that, and i don't even need to see a drop test done.

How bad or can scratch it dent ..... well, that's a perception, since no one will say "ok, I'll have to drop it at exact lt this height and make sure it's an "accident" It worked for him, not to say more damage won't be done for from other heights...

Try it from 3,000 feet.

Petalumagirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Use slow-mo to see if it's enough or not. More than enough to see that it did came apart. Get real and get over the fact that the iPhone 6/6+ display quality is poor. If you still like it, buy it, if not don't. But truth of the matter will remain the same. Quality has dropped compared to the previous generation.

I fully expect phones to break when dropped. Furthermore, I expect phones to break more often if the glass panel is larger. I just don't like people screaming fake on sketchy evidence. I already discussed the "coming apart" in my post and you did nothing to refute it. Have you ever tried to take something apart that's held in place by clips? You can pry it partially apart and have it snap right back into place as if nothing happened. The ground could do that just as easily as a pry tool. A small separation in the slow motion video is not proof that the screen broke and that the video was faked.

Not that any of this matters. There will be plenty of drop tests, and the phone will (did) break in some of them.

----------

Well try explaining why, when he drops the iPhone6 on its back, the position it lands at the 41 second mark is not the same position its in when he goes to pick it up?

For whatever reason they clearly faked the results.

The iPhone 6 is in exactly the same position at the 41 and 57 second marks (two tiles from the twig). What are you talking about? i think you're the first to suggest that the iPhone 6 drop test was faked in addition to the iPhone 6 plus test. Props for that I guess.

Edit: saw the two frames side by side somewhere else (instead of just going off memory when checking the video) and the position is slightly different, so it looks like you could be right. No idea why Android authority would fake it though (and I still think that the screen could separate slightly on impact and pop back in place after).

Last edited:

wrightc23

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I've never quite got these tests, if I dropped an expensive piece of kit from several feet onto a concrete floor I'd expect the worst and wouldn't assume that the manufacturer should have ensured that the device should be able to survive.

Short of devices that are advertised as rugged and are usually a lot more bulky I'd expect an iPhone or Android phone to suffer serious damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.