Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
Laughing my a$$ off about the hilarious claims, that Android Authority would fake a positive iPhone Droptest. This has to be one of the most bizarre and yet strangely entertaining threads in the history of MR.

Next in the news: USA producing a surprisingly glowing report about the Human Rights Conditions in North Korea and Kim Jung Un protests against it :rolleyes:

So u are basically saying there is no way AA can be bought??? But if you come to think about it, this is the first place Apple will go with some hard $$$ :D At least to me it makes sense...

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
So u are basically saying there is no way AA can be bought??? But if you come to think about it, this is the first place Apple will go with some hard $$$ :D At least to me it makes sense...

How is that what makes sense to you when you "come to think about it"???

Here's what I think:

• Apple approaches competitor-fan youtube channel requesting that they make false/misleading claims about their products.

• Android Authority creates video telling this seemingly-crazy story with proof. Maybe they lead Apple on a little bit to get more info for their story.

• Video goes viral, because Apple, and scandal, and it's really kind of an amazing and outraging story.

• Android Authority gets a great amount of publicity. Probably more lucrative in the long-run based on new subscribers and views for this one viral video along with previous and future videos. And even if doesn't even out (it would), their satisfaction at exposing Apple for this should trump the few thousand they missed out on.

• Regardless of any of the preceding hypotheticals, one hundred more non-paid drop test videos get posted showing that, like any other damn smartphone, sometimes they break when they hit the ground, and sometimes they don't.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
http://youtu.be/PN9z7W1JvV8

http://youtu.be/_vJZ3PQt118

Maybe all these guys are faking. SMH.

TMas

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
I thought this conversation was a bit nutty until I saw the screenshots side by side of the where the first drop landed and where it was when dude picked it up. What gives AA? Kinda shady...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 20.35.17.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 20.35.17.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 20.36.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 20.36.22.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Drop tests are a huge waste of bandwidth and pixels.

Uh duh ... drop phone. Phone breaks ... sometimes. Phone doesn't break ... sometimes. Your point? Don't drop phone ... it might break.

Oh yes ... bitching about drop tests are ALSO a waste of bandwidth ...

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Discontinuity or miscontinuity

In film, this is what is called a "Discontinuity" or "Miscontinuity." This is when one shot doesn't match the next shot. In film, a scene can take multiple days and multiple takes to do. So, "Miscontinuity" can happen accidentally.

This advertisement video, though, uses "Discontinuity" purposely for "Dramatic" effect; "Controversial" internet cred and so on and so forth. It's a "troll" with "skills."

Skillful trolls.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I've never quite got these tests, if I dropped an expensive piece of kit from several feet onto a concrete floor I'd expect the worst and wouldn't assume that the manufacturer should have ensured that the device should be able to survive.

Short of devices that are advertised as rugged and are usually a lot more bulky I'd expect an iPhone or Android phone to suffer serious damage.

It's very simple. You don't want your phone (or any other thing, for that matter) to break? Don't drop it! Problem solved!

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I thought this conversation was a bit nutty until I saw the screenshots side by side of the where the first drop landed and where it was when dude picked it up. What gives AA? Kinda shady...

AA's drop test is totally fake and it was proven already. The question is WHY did they fake it. :D

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
sadly, my wife accidentally performed her own drop test, and it failed. new iphone 6 less than 24 hours, fell about 3 feet from her waist onto tiled floor in our bathroom and screen broke. landed on it's side and cracked. part of the glass screen even flecked off and it can scratch your finger if you swipe across it.

*sigh*

good thing we got the squaretrade deal right away. now gotta wait for sufficient supplies for a fix to be performed...

:mad:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
SquareTrade says the new iPhones are extremely durable in their testing and reporting.

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
From a design perspective, why bother making a 6.9mm thick aluminium unibody phone with seamless glass edges then? Why not just have a slightly thicker, stronger phone made of plastic with no curved glass?

I see what you did there.... Android fan by chance????:D

TMas

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
AA's drop test is totally fake and it was proven already. The question is WHY did they fake it. :D

How was this proven? Sounded like a discussion to me with lots of opinions and opposing ideas being shared.
Oh and the answer to almost every "why" question in life is obviously money.

Actually on second thought, I really, really do t care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.